Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 San Angelo surrounding area season thread.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by El General View Post
    ocate them?

My current plan is to get out early and try to listen for gobbles, then set up a little ways off where they cross. If that doesn't work, try to drive around and call to locate.

Is there a plan for how y'all would do this? Any other general turkey tips for a fairly novice hunter? Any tips for call sequences or calling in general?

That's about all you can do if you don't know where they are. Location is key. I would start in the general areas of food and water sources if you don't have any roosting areas. Don't hunt on the sources but hunt in their general area because they will be around them. They are going to be there eventually if they are using them. If you have to cut them off then so be it. We run corn and water in each of our feedpens just to keep the hens around this time of year. The gobblers will follow. Our turkeys are big time roamers and roost where they end the day. There is no set roosts but there are some common roosting places strung out through the whole 2400 acres they use when in the area. We try to hunt in the general area of those roosts or we do have some more open areas the turkey like to frequent. Just depends on what we see scouting or on camera activity.

For calling go to youtube. There is a wealth of information that is much better than me trying to type what I like to do out.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      That's about all you can do if you don't know where they are. Location is key. I would start in the general areas of food and water sources if you don't have any roosting areas. Don't hunt on the sources but hunt in their general area because they will be around them. They are going to be there eventually if they are using them. If you have to cut them off then so be it. We run corn and water in each of our feedpens just to keep the hens around this time of year. The gobblers will follow. Our turkeys are big time roamers and roost where they end the day. There is no set roosts but there are some common roosting places strung out through the whole 2400 acres they use when in the area. We try to hunt in the general area of those roosts or we do have some more open areas the turkey like to frequent. Just depends on what we see scouting or on camera activity.

For calling go to youtube. There is a wealth of information that is much better than me trying to type what I like to do out.
      Gracias dude.

Comment

Shotgunning multiples under corn feeders or out of pecan trees about midnight are the best bets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dgilbert View Post
          1"1/2 reported at Robert Lee.
          Just wish it would hold off until may or june…..mud and more mud, lol!

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
            Shotgunning multiples under corn feeders or out of pecan trees about midnight are the best bets.

LMAO!!! You just make sure you shoot the ones with small beards for now..
            Last edited by Smart; 03-15-2019, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
              For you turkey hunters:

I am new to turkey hunting and made a serious effort for the first time last year, and pretty much got schooled. They were not gobbling much though as it was late in the season.

We see turkeys on our place, but they do not seem to consistently roost on our place. They do seem to consistently roost on the property to the north of us. I have found a couple of places where they cross the north fence line, and there are some water sources that they seem to come to.

So, if I can't set up early on a roost tree, how would you go about trying to locate them?

My current plan is to get out early and try to listen for gobbles, then set up a little ways off where they cross. If that doesn't work, try to drive around and call to locate.

Is there a plan for how y'all would do this? Any other general turkey tips for a fairly novice hunter? Any tips for call sequences or calling in general?
              I have always had good luck on water troughs near roosts in pm hunts. Also if I don’t for sure know where the roosts are I will cruise after sunset and glass trees/big powerline poles etc the last 45min of daylight to try and find birds then get in before light to set up near a clearing.
              I’m usually hunting pop ups because I usually only bow hunt.

Comment

2019 San Angelo surrounding area season thread.....

Had a fun trip at the lease. Weather was beautiful. Most of our bucks still had headgear, but still found 3 sheds. I put out a truck load of cottonseed. Protein consumption has picked up and they were hammering the cottonseed. Buck (TXBuck74) got a pretty nice blackbuck. I saw the one I wanted but he slipped away from us on 2 different spot and stalks. We trapped 10 raccoons and I got a porcupine. The crawfish were amazing, the poker game was great and the drinks went down smooth. We will head back down in a few weeks for turkey and another try at the Blackbuck I’m after.

Comment

Good times good times!

Comment

Originally posted by 8pointer View Post
                    Had a fun trip at the lease. Weather was beautiful. Most of our bucks still had headgear, but still found 3 sheds. I put out a truck load of cottonseed. Protein consumption has picked up and they were hammering the cottonseed. Buck (TXBuck74) got a pretty nice blackbuck. I saw the one I wanted but he slipped away from us on 2 different spot and stalks. We trapped 10 raccoons and I got a porcupine. The crawfish were amazing, the poker game was great and the drinks went down smooth. We will head back down in a few weeks for turkey and another try at the Blackbuck I’m after.

Looks like a dang good trip!

Comment

You boys are doing it right!! Looks like a heck of a time.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                          Good times good times!
                          Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
                          Looks like a dang good trip!
                          Originally posted by Jzoch View Post
                          You boys are doing it right!! Looks like a heck of a time.

Originally posted by Bone Thug View Post
                          Thank you guys! I'm so lucky to have such a great group to share deer camp with. We've all become great friends and look forward to having many more seasons together to create more memories.

Comment

Breck and I are about to head out shortly to chase them thunder chickens for a couple days.

Might even put out a tad bit of feed............between hunting turkey and sheds.......

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
                              Breck and I are about to head out shortly to chase them thunder chickens for a couple days.

Might even put out a tad bit of feed............between hunting turkey and sheds.......

Rwc
                              Good luck....

Comment

Looks like well have an opening on our lease in Irion Co. if you like observing deer in the desert as much as we do shoot me a PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X