No announcement yet.

Should they pay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for what your family had to go through with the incidents you wrote about.

More taxes, come on???

Comment

I don't think they should pay to ride on public roads...

they should be banned from riding on public roads, and if caught doing so, beat and jailed.

carry on....

Comment

On a kind of related subject, soon we will no longer have inspections stickers in Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbara View Post
          I am a bike rider and I try to stay off the roads because of drivers that are preoccupied
          texting. The motorcyclists still have a problem with drivers that "don't see them". Cycling would definitely help the obesity problem we have in the United States. I did a presentation on cycling and the obesity problem here in the states and wish I could upload the information for all of you. http://www.fitnessforweightloss.com/...k-infographic/ http://www.iaso.org/iotf/obesity/?map=adults
          There are many of us that should get from behind the wheel and walk or cycle more. I guess people that walk along the roadway should be taxed also. There are many people that own bikes that also own a vehicle for transportation so they should be taxed twice. I mean that bike really puts a lot of wear and tear on those roads. Really?
          So should I be taxed twice for having multiple vehicles or for my motorcycle? Flawed thinking on your part. Sorry.

Originally posted by Codie View Post
          As much as I can't stand people on bikes who think they are a "vehicle" and take up ANY part of vehicles lanes of traffic other than the shoulder I do NOT think they should have to be taxed or pay to use the roadway. Next thing you know they would be taxing people who run on the roads
          Isn't that what sidewalks are for, running, not running on the road?

Comment

While they are a hazard to driving at times I don't think they should have to pay taxes for bicycling on the roadway. If that happens then we would have to pay taxes for our children and grandchildren to ride on the street. Then the skateboarderes and roller bladers would come into play and eventually they would want to tax again those that walk on the sidewalks, who are already paying taxes for that right.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
              No.

What would the state inspect, their tires? Handle bars? Gears?

Are any of those causing damages to cars because of being in poor condition?

Vehicle inspections are to make the road safer because cars going up to 85 mph legally in some places potentially pose a huge risk to other people with defective tires, brakes, lights, etc. How many times have we seen on the news people being killed in head on accidents when another car hydroplaned, usually for bad tires? How many accidents have been caused by brake lights being out?

I see none of those as issues for a bicycle that will make the motoring public safer and therefore bicycle inspections would be ridiculous. How about this, since ATV's and UTV's are generally not road legal but can legally cross public roadways, then let's have the state inspect (tax) all of our ATV, UTV, golf carts, etc., to make the roads safer.

It would make about as much sense.

Anyone ready for more government regulations that are in place merely for tax purposes? Not me.
              Ok.. let g of the "road maintenance and upkeep" part of the whole 'tax" idea... if they are not to be taxed ..as a vehicle that uses the road... how about a License then.. as vehicle that uses the road?
              Want to ride on the road? vehicle must be registered...like everything else on the road... and rider should have to obtain a license to operate the vehicle on the road... like every other drver/rider of a registered vehicle on the road.
              Whole new revenue stream..
              That easier to swallow?

Comment

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post

Isn't that what sidewalks are for, running, not running on the road?
                Actually it is against the law to run or walk in a roadway when there is a sidewalk. Unfortunately probably more than half of the roads do not have sidewalks provided.

Comment

Originally posted by DTala View Post
                  I don't think they should pay to ride on public roads...

they should be banned from riding on public roads, and if caught doing so, beat and jailed.

carry on....
                  x2000

Comment

This topic and people that go slow in the Left lanes usually fire TBH up like nothing else. I feel sorry for your father and could not imagine how many times the accident has gone through your heads. As well as the bikers family. I believe cyclist should not travel on roads with trucks and cars that are going much faster . I would not put myself in the situation of a bike rider. Just seams like a death wish. As for you guys that cycle, I am not sure what the solution is for you either.

Comment

I live in boerne tx. It is covered in cyclist daily. All over every road and access roads. I spend time behind them and hold my breath every time I pass one on a one lane road hoping they don't get out in front of me or wreck while hugging the edge of the road and get ran over.

Comment

No. It would be nice if bikes had there own path, but Texas is just too big. If taxed, even the kids playing on their new Christmas bike would have to "pay the Tax" before leaving their driveway. And the training wheels would need to have a extra tire tax.

Comment

Actually it is against the law to run or walk in a roadway when there is a sidewalk. Unfortunately probably more than half of the roads do not have sidewalks provided.
                          Agreed. So why must one pay to register a boat and trailer as well to use on the road and lakes if bicycles get a pass? Should they be exempt also using the "taxed twice" mentality?

Comment

On a kind of related subject, soon we will no longer have inspections stickers in Texas.
                            what are they gonna have. cause i sure dont see inspections going away

Comment

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post
                              Agreed. So why must one pay to register a boat and trailer as well to use on the road and lakes if bicycles get a pass? Should they be exempt also using the "taxed twice" mentality?
                              I am for getting away with all registration fees and inspections however they will still need to same money to fund DPS, TPWD, etc.

Let's just increase all sales taxes so we can all share equally instead of just heaping the taxes on those that actually use the public right of ways and facilities. We still still need inspections and such but let's all share the burden.

Right?

I see lots of government money spent enforcing traffic laws, boating laws, hunting and fishing laws, etc. I don't see any money at all being spent enforcing bicycle laws. I have been in law enforcement for 30 years and have never seen a bicycle enforcement task force. Maybe it is time for one.

Comment

Originally posted by SolocamShooter View Post
                                x2000
                                lol yep

Comment

Working...
                                X