Before Lake Livingston?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before Lake Livingston?

As we have been looking for a place around the lake, I have found myself curious about the pre-lake history and what it looked like before. Does anyone have any old maps from before 1971 that shows the old roads, towns, river channel, etc? Did 1514 out of Coldspring used to cross the river and come out at Beacon Bay at 350 south? Any old pics or maps would be cool to see.

interesting

Comment

They older edition of the HotSpot map for Lake Livingston showed all the old roads and bridges and buildings. A lot of the old timers have them saved on GPS's so the locations are out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
        They older edition of the HotSpot map for Lake Livingston showed all the old roads and bridges and buildings. A lot of the old timers have them saved on GPS's so the locations are out there.
        I'd love to see that map

Comment

I know that my grandfather ran heavy equipment and dump trucks. He is one of the persons that made all the humps alone the old 190 road bed.

Comment

A family I know lost their ranch to the lake, they are still heartbroken about it, evidently it was an amazing piece of property for wildlife and cattle.

Comment

Not sure of the history but I hear more talk these days of how the difference in taxes/appraisals are of the surrounding counties of the lake?

Comment

Aerials back to 1952 and topos to 1961.

Comment

Pretty sure Google Earth had history of satellite shot of most place.

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
                    Not sure of the history but I hear more talk these days of how the difference in taxes/appraisals are of the surrounding counties of the lake?
                    This is true. We were looking at a house by the lake in Onlaska that was 2.36 tax rate and high appraisals. Now we made an offer on a place by the lake in Coldspring that has a tax rate of 1.8 and the appraisals are more what they should be. Polk County is definitely more proud of lake properties versus San Jac County.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan R View Post
                      Pretty sure Google Earth had history of satellite shot of most place.
                      Before 1969?

Comment

Working...
                      X