Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conventional Septic issues, advice? (long read)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A conventional septic system is designed to break down the waste with anaerobic bacteria. The solids are supposed to settle in the tank and be pumped out periodically. The water flows into the leach field. Solids in the leach field ruin the system.

Adding air to agitate the tank will prevent the solids from settling and the pump will move the solids into the leach field and clog it up faster.

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
      So......air pumped into system makes **** water in my pasture safer yet my horses can dump in the creek or right next to it headed straight to a lake......sounds reasonable
      I was referring to the compressor on an aerobic system, not adding a compressor to a conventional. Aerobic systems have a aerobic treatment tank with clarifier and chlorination to make it safer when it sprays into your yard or pasture. Adding pumps or compressors to the OP in question will not help his situation and that’s what I was getting at. All it takes is one neighbor to call in a complaint and he would have more problems on his hands than a failing system.

Comment

If you can get muratic acid down the field lines, it will eat up any roots that may be clogging them up.

Comment

Lots of good but illegal advice here. If the drain field is not taking the effluent, the only right answer is to replace the system with one that works.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Things were good for a couple days until this last rain.

One thing i didnt think about until today....

We built a shop and had electric trenched underground around the yard and over the drain field. The electric line was installed about 2 weeks ago.

I know the electrician personally, advised him about the drain field, and watched him dig by hand over and well before and past the drainfield.

Weve been here for almost 4 yrs now and the problem just arose last week, which is what is throwing me for a loop.

I have dug down to top of the tank, replaced the risers, and poured concrete around them. The risers that I took out were sprinkpler valve boxes/covers. Which clearly allowed ground water to come in to the opening in the top of the tank.

Im thinking that at this point it is a drainage issue, since its the only thing that has changed. I ran a snake out of the 2nd tank into the drain field and found no obstructions.

Im working tomorrow and were going out of town until wed of next week. Im gonna set up an appointment for next wk to have someone look at the system.

Granted, im not an expert w this stuff, but I keep wondering if a new system (i.e. aerobic) would solve the issue, or if I would experience the same problems...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

An aerobic will solve problems related to the field 100%. The ground does not always have the capacity to take more water. The surface always does. However they are typically higher maintenance in comparison to a conventional. When electronic components are involved, they will fail eventually.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

You may just have a high water table/ seasonal ground water. If your system was permitted you can get a copy of the inspection and permit from county and look at the site evaluation for soil and ground water findings. You can also get an idea from the NRCS soil survey on water tables and drainage for your area. If it was bootlegged in then there is a chance it wasn’t sized correctly and water table wasn’t factored in. Also check for any water leaks in the house and if on public water look at your previous water bills and usage for the day/month.

Comment

Sent you a PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X