Foundation Problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foundation Problems?

Our kitchen, living room, dining room are all tiled (1100 sq feet.) The remainder of our 4BR home is carpeted. We have had some issues with tile getting loose, grout breaking so had several companies come out to bid replacing with carpet. BEST rep we have experienced so far thought the tile is coming up due to improper installation not treating the slab floor (before we bought) but also said it could be cracks from settling? From our research and his reinforcing comments, I realize a concrete slab IS "porus" so moisture is always potentially there.

We have NO cracks in walls or ceiling and from the several quotes, this company seems to be much more experienced with possible diagnostic theories/assumptions? NO evidence of a slab water leak but we are 3 lots up from the lake but on a higher elevation from lake front, so could it be foundation?

Just wondering if anyone has had this problem and what did you do to resolve it? Any other indicators that would point toward foundation issues?

Serious post here, both of us are retired and this will really cut into our retirement savings.

If you have foundation problems it seems like you would have cracks in your walls. Check closely in the top corners for even hairline cracks. Sticking doors and windows are usually a sign as well. Look around the slab on the outside for any cracks. If the tile was floated poorly it wouldn't be unusual to have problems with tiles coming loose and grout cracking. Good luck and hope it's not the slab settling.

Comment

A Foundation company can determine how level your foundation is pretty quick with a laser system. Once they determine if you have an issue, they will recommend a solution(s). We used olshan and they lifted our low areas have placed several piers under the foundation. It’s not cheap, but they guarantee there work. Price will vary based upon your home’s issues. We noticed ours from hairline cracks in our tile.

Comment

Is the thinset still attached to the slab and separating from the tile or completely coming off the slab? Did any tile crack or just come loose? I know--questions--not answers.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
          Is the thinset still attached to the slab and separating from the tile or completely coming off the slab? Did any tile crack or just come loose? I know--questions--not answers.
          The rep today pulled up a couple of tiles and the thinset only had a few pieces on the tile if any?

Comment

You can call Atlas or Olshan. They are the same company with different names. They will come out for free and check your home out. I used them on a home I was selling in Katy in 2007 and again on a home I sold in College Station. Both times they said that while I had settlement they recommended not doing anything because it wasn’t enough to worry about. The brick veneer had cracked on the first house and the second home had some sheet rock issues and door issues.
            Point is they were not high pressure at all and we’re honest with me. That’s big in my book. Additionally they offered a lifetime transferable warranty. In 2015 my father in laws home was literally falling apart. I gave him the same advice. He used a no name company that came in and did what they do. The home started to move again within six months. He died in 2017 and the home continues to move.

Comment

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post
              The rep today pulled up a couple of tiles and the thinset only had a few pieces on the tile if any?
              Take a deep breath. That could be good news (depending on perspective). Could be the person laying the tile didn't know what they were doing. Could have used a towel with small notches or wrong type of thinnest all together. A flooring/tile guy can likely assess the problem. Would likely have to redo tile, but better than foundation issues!

Comment

Take a deep breath. That could be good news (depending on perspective). Could be the person laying the tile didn't know what they were doing. Could have used a towel with small notches or wrong type of thinnest all together. A flooring/tile guy can likely assess the problem. Would likely have to redo tile, but better than foundation issues!
                This ^^^ I would just have the tile person come out and bid replacement of the tile.

Comment

Don

I have been there and done this twice.
                  The only sure fire way is to hire a structural engineer to come out and measure the foundations. {$600.00 ish}
                  The first time {15 years ago} told us what needed to be fixed and the foundation company we hired came to the same findings and we had it done.
                  Had a couple of cracks the last couple of years and the wife stomped and stomped until we brought in another independent engineer. {another $600.00}
                  He said it was normal and we were good. Fixed said cracks and been good for a while now.
                  HUGE HINT: If it has to be done do it the week between Christmas and New Year. The foundation companies will do it for cost to make their pay role on the worst week of the year....
                  Pressed piles only. Bells always fail.

I could go on and on. Do not fix anything inside of the house for a year. Give it time to settle.
                  You will probably lose all the pipes under the house at some point after the lift.
                  We were so bad it cost more to fix the inside cracks than the foundation job. Never again - it was a nightmare................
                  Last edited by Johnny Dangerr; 02-10-2020, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Sounds like a bad install on the tile.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Obviously should say trowel and thinset. Dang auto correct. Although a towel may have been more effective than the wrong trowel.

Comment

Had Foundation work done on our house back in 2007 due to a water leak. Had 9 drilled/poured concrete piers installed as that was the best method at the time. We had them adjusted about 8 years later under warranty as they needed about an 1" of adjustment.

We also hired an independent structural engineer on our own dime to give us a report so when foundation companies tells us something we could refer to "our" report if they wanted to short sell us only to have them come back later to try and sell more piers.

Good luck and nothing needs a quick resolution. Take your time and pick the company and associate repair carefully.

Comment

Had a buddy that just went thru this, his tile would just pop up and got worse after Harvey. He replaced all the filler with vinyl planks, no more issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
                            Don

I have been there and done this twice.
                            The only sure fire way is to hire a structural engineer to come out and measure the foundations. {$600.00 ish}
                            The first time {15 years ago} told us what needed to be fixed and the foundation company we hired came to the same findings and we had it done.
                            Had a couple of cracks the last couple of years and the wife stomped and stomped until we brought in another independent engineer. {another $600.00}
                            He said it was normal and we were good. Fixed said cracks and been good for a while now.
                            HUGE HINT: If it has to be done do it the week between Christmas and New Year. The foundation companies will do it for cost to make their pay role on the worst week of the year....
                            Pressed piles only. Bells always fail.

I could go on and on. Do not fix anything inside of the house for a year. Give it time to settle.
                            You will probably lose all the pipes under the house at some point after the lift.
                            We were so bad it cost more to fix the inside cracks than the foundation job. Never again - it was a nightmare................
                            Good advice.

Just from what you said it doesnt sound like the slab. But it could be early signs. Best to have it checked by a structural engineer.

Comment

An engineer should cost you $400 or less. Often you can get a preliminary report for $350, which will include measurements, report, and repair recommendation if needed.

Foundation problems are easy to diagnose the majority of the time. Look for cracking in corners, crown molding, trim, above door frames. Walk around the outside perimeter and look for cracking in brick and in the slab foundation, take your time. A foundation with problems is easy to spot once you have seen a few. Often all of the signs will be in a specific area of the house, often where drainage on the outside of the house is poor.

Another option is use any laser level, they can be bought for $40 or less if you don't already have one. Set it up on a chair or something and point it so it projects across the inside of the house cover as much area as possible. Use a tape measure to measure the height of the laser beam right next to the level, then measure at multiple points around the room. Look for difference of 1" or more. Account for difference in carpet/tile height. To have tiles popping up you will likely see 1" or more elevation change across a standard living room size.

This gives you a rough idea of whether you have foundation problems or not. If you think you do, then hire it out to professional.

Comment

Working...
                              X