Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
    Not sure about that. We were told for our acreage to put two bucks and to try to keep around 4 or 5 females.
    Yup, I wouldn’t be concerned

Comment

1/31/2020 Update

We made a quick trip to the ranch this week to do some work. We set up and checked our snares on the fence and caught a large male coyote and a large male bobcat...two in one day!
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Bobcat (Medium).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	24607702

Name:	IMG_5922 (Medium).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	24607703
      We topped off the cottonseed and protein feeders. The blackbuck herd is continuing to grow. We have 4 bucks total now (2 blackbuck fawns). We are planning to shoot at least 3 females next trip to help reduce the numbers to keep around 10 to 12 total. Here are some pictures:

Name:	PICT1428 (Medium).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	24607704

Name:	12260762 (Medium).jpg
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	24607705

Name:	12260594 (Medium).jpg
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	24607706

Name:	12pt (Medium).jpg
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	24607707

Name:	PICT0660 (Medium).jpg
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	24607708

Name:	PICT1292 (Medium).jpg
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	24607709

Our fall food plots aren't growing very much but there is still a little green forage growing, better than nothing:

Name:	IMG_1896 (Medium).jpg
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	24607710

Name:	IMG_1897 (Medium).jpg
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	24607711

Comment

Looking good! Please don’t introduce outside genetics, I can’t wait to see what you can do with your native herd!!

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
          Looking good! Please don’t introduce outside genetics, I can’t wait to see what you can do with your native herd!!
          x2

Comment

I think we are going to keep it all native and keep feeding the heck out of these deer. We are just being impatient. I’m sure we can grow 160in deer but it’s going to take another 4 to 5 years of feeding, habitat management, and herd control.

Comment

I think we are going to keep it all native and keep feeding the heck out of these deer. We are just being impatient. I’m sure we can grow 160in deer but it’s going to take another 4 to 5 years of feeding, habitat management, and herd control.
              Yes sir! But it sure will feel good that first time you see a 160 on camera!!

Comment

I think you’re going to get there faster than you think. I would say in the next 3 years you have a 160 on the ground. That young ten you posted would be my guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper87 View Post
                  I think you’re going to get there faster than you think. I would say in the next 3 years you have a 160 on the ground. That young ten you posted would be my guess.
                  I hope you're right. I think we will get there as long as we continue to feed (protein, cottonseed, corn, fall plots, etc.) and remove cedars (10-15 acres) every year to increase quality native vegetation.

Comment

All it takes is a deer to pop one year. I had a low 40s deer in mason explode to a 164” at 5 years old. Part of me wishes I would have passed him one more year. Too late now. With your fence I wouldn’t be surprised if you break into the 80s in the next ten. People don’t give native genetics enough credit. Look at el gatos Louisiana farm. Simply amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
                      x2

Comment

2/11/2020

It looks like we got a little rain today (around 0.15-inch) and possibly more tonight/tomorrow. Hopefully we get more soon to help fill up the new pond.

Comment

It looks like we got a little rain today (around 0.15-inch) and possibly more tonight/tomorrow. Hopefully we get more soon to help fill up the new pond.
                          We have had that exact amount as well, a little jealous since the rest of mason Co has had quite a bit more! Hopefully we both get some good rains

Comment

2/27/20 Update

We went out last weekend and were able to shoot another whitetail doe and a blackbuck doe. Our whitetail harvest totals were 8 doe and 3 bucks. We hope to continue to reduce the blackbuck doe numbers through the Spring.

We were able to top off all of the cottonseed feeders and make sure everything else was in good condition. I purchased a drone to take some aerial videos and photos and I've been impressed with the quality of the pictures. Here are some pictures I took with the drone this past weekend:

Big Pond:

Name:	Big Pond.jpg
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	24609313

Middle Blind:

Name:	Middle.jpg
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	24609314

Name:	Middle 2.jpg
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	24609315

New Pond:

Name:	New Pond.jpg
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	24609316

Name:	NW Corner.jpg
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	24609317

South Clearing:

Name:	South.jpg
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	24609318

We have a dozer coming out on Monday of next week to clear some cedars. He will be clearing cedars in the red outlined area which is about 5 acres in total. He will be leaving the oaks and mesquites and using the take 20 cedars and leave 1 cedar approach so that the field isn't too bare. We are going to end up clearing a lot of long meandering strips to help provide more edge and more forage for wildlife. I will take some drone videos/pictures after we have finished the clearings.

Comment

Looking Good! Be watching those native deer get BIG!!

Comment

Love the new addition with the drone!

Comment

Working...
                                X