Is there a way to fix this mistake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a way to fix this mistake?

My son and I were drawn for a January duck hunt at Richland north. This is the one I have always hoped to draw. I went online and thought I had accepted the hunt for both of us. Unfortunately, I did not check my son's name. Richland north is a group hunt. By that I mean, they accept a set number of groups whether it is one person or four. So our (me) group had accepted so I don't think my son's permit was offered in the second draw.

I called the WMA and they said there is nothing they can do and to call the state. I called the state and tried to explain it to them but they just kept saying, no, your son's permit would be redrawn in the second draw. I told them it would not because at least one group member had accepted the draw.

So here are my options as I see them:

Do nothing and skip the hunt
    Do nothing and tell my son (16) tough luck
    Do nothing and just let him hunt
    See if I can get the WMA to issue a standby permit
    Try to figure out how far up the food chain at the state I need to go to find someone that can make a decision
    Call my state Senator and Congressman and tell them I want a return on all the money I've donated

Buy the TPWD and fire everyone (Ok, this one is a joke)

We are going to Kansas for ducks and have a hunt at Alazan. He also got standby bow at Big Lake this year so he will have some hunts. Just not the primary one I was hoping for.
    Last edited by jnd1959; 11-08-2019, 09:38 AM.

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
    My son and I were drawn for a January duck hunt at Richland north. This is the one I have always hoped to draw. I went online and thought I had accepted the hunt for both of us. Unfortunately, I did not check my son's name. Richland north is a group hunt. By that I mean, they accept a set number of groups whether it is one person or four. So our (me) group had accepted so I don't think my son's permit was offered in the second draw.

I called the WMA and they said there is nothing they can do and to call the state. I called the state and tried to explain it to them but they just kept saying, no, your son's permit would be redrawn in the second draw. I told them it would not because at least one group member had accepted the draw.

So here are my options as I see them:

Do nothing and skip the hunt
    Do nothing and tell my son (16) tough luck
    Do nothing and just let him hunt
    See if I can get the WMA to issue a standby permit
    Try to figure out how far up the food chain at the state I need to go to find someone that can make a decision
    Call my state Senator and Congressman and tell them I want a return on all the money I've donated

Buy the TPWD and fire everyone (Ok, this one is a joke)

We are going to Kansas for ducks and have a hunt at Alazan. He also got standby bow at Big Lake this year so he will have some hunts. Just not the primary one I was hoping for.
    Can't do this if you didn't check his name at time to accept permits, the permit you accepted is linked to your SSN and is non transferable, tough luck live and learn.

Comment

Man I have no input what so ever, but I know how you feel. Good luck on getting it resolved

Comment

Live and learn. Mistakes are made and just learn from them. I did the same with my kid at powder horn.

Comment

Almost did the same thing on my dads permit this year. Do not just allow him to hunt. He would likely get caught and you don't want that on him. The standby idea might workout well. Hunted there last year and the guys that run the hunts are good guys and would likely understand the situation. I would still try and run this up the chain until you can get something figured out. Buying TPWD would be the only for sure way though. LOL E Either way I hope you can get something worked out and he gets to hunt. It is a fun one for sure.
          Last edited by RShockley; 11-10-2019, 08:32 AM.

Comment

The folks up there are good folks. Might be able to get him in on a standby with a little pr.

Buying tpwd would be hard since it is already owned by a large buyers group of commissioners.

Comment

Can you take him as a non hunter?

Comment

Dang. Details matter. Good luck getting any government agency to listen and be reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=GarGuy;14498623

Buying tpwd would be hard since it is already owned by a large buyers group of commissioners.[/QUOTE]

My first thought !

Comment

Thanks for the input. I'm just mad at myself. We'll see what happens. I strained my mcl yesterday getting out of the tree stand. This all may be a moot point. At the e room now.

Comment

Originally posted by lanceodom View Post
                      Can you take him as a non hunter?
                      Hell no, they will laugh you out the door, if you do not have permit to be on the property during hunt times they will string you up, can't even camp. They're very strict about it.

Comment

TPWD in Austin isn't very flexible about these things. A few years ago my buddy and I won a hunt and when I went to accept the permits, it showed my name and my buddy's daughter. I had used his name but his daughter's SS# on the application. (Had applied for some youth hunts as well at that time). They wouldn't change the permit to his name. Talked to several really nice folks in Austin over this but once the permit is issued OR in your case not selected, you are pretty much SOL. The hunt location's hands are generally tied as well.

Comment

Originally posted by WinslowBoy View Post
                          TPWD in Austin isn't very flexible about these things. A few years ago my buddy and I won a hunt and when I went to accept the permits, it showed my name and my buddy's daughter. I had used his name but his daughter's SS# on the application. (Had applied for some youth hunts as well at that time). They wouldn't change the permit to his name. Talked to several really nice folks in Austin over this but once the permit is issued OR in your case not selected, you are pretty much SOL. The hunt location's hands are generally tied as well.
                          That's my experience so far. Now I have to decide if I'm going to hunt alone or just skip it.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                            That's my experience so far. Now I have to decide if I'm going to hunt alone or just skip it.
                            Yeah it sucks. I'm ultra critical now when I fill out the applications and accept the permits. I don't want to make that mistake again. In talking with TPWD during my issue, they said it happens frequently every year and that is why they don't make any "exceptions".

Comment

Only real option if you and your son set out on this together you stay home to. You will have this lesson deeper engrained and learn from it. Plus your son will respect you more. Don’t go !

Comment

Working...
                              X