East Texas Small Cowpea Kill Plot Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East Texas Small Cowpea Kill Plot Video

How I used a solar-powered electric fence to grow Red Ripper Cowpeas in my small fall kill plot. It's almost impossible to establish cowpeas in a kill plot that is small. Deer usually wipe them out before they are 6 inches high. This video covers when, how, and items used in this past season's experimental kill plot. Next season it will be larger.

https://youtu.be/KDFPTMQl8JU

Link isn’t working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
      Link isn’t working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I'm not sure what is happening. When I click on the link it works.

Comment

Lot of hard work you put into that!

Comment

Looked great, thanks for sharing. Any reason you don't use the buggy and bulk lime vs putting out by hand?

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexun View Post
            Looked great, thanks for sharing. Any reason you don't use the buggy and bulk lime vs putting out by hand?
            The video of me throwing it out by hand was last year. I started doing it the same way this year but switched to an ATV trailer which was a bit easier. The powder will not work in a gear-type seed spreader as I use for the oats and fertilizer. The lime powder is like baking soda. I've learned that it is much easier just to spend the money on the pellets so you can use the spreader. Just have to put it out two months earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckhead78 View Post
              Lot of hard work you put into that!
              It was a bit of work mostly because 2/3 of the plot was in really bad shape. Going forward it will be much easier. The lime lasts several years so it will not be necessary to lime each season. By putting in a summer food plot and a fall kill plot it should be easier to work.

Comment

Great info. Appreciate your hard work. Could you share a diagram of how you electrified it?
                Last edited by Greylight318; 02-13-2021, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Awesome job Texbox. Outstanding video, tons of good info as well.
                  Thanks for posting up.
                  Ed

Comment

Thanks for putting in the work to document your plot and sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by Greylight318 View Post
                      Great info. Appreciate your hard work. Could you share a diagram of how you electrified it?
                      It's so simple that you will feel like "is that all I do". Your solar charger has two wires with alligator clips. You connect the hot wire (red) to your fence tape and the other wire (green) to your ground rod. Some charger manufactures have ground rods that actually double as a charger holder (to keep it off the ground). I just hung mine on a t-post. You just need to make sure that you have a jumper piece of poly tape or poly rope connecting all the different fences so the current can run through all of them. I think it's best to clip your hot wire to the fence at the location that you run your jumper to the other fences. Just make sure your jumper is tied tightly to all the other fences and does not hit the bare ground or any metal object. If you use only the plastic post you do not need to worry about it being grounded out if you keep your poly tape and poly rope off of the ground.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Great info thanks for sharing

Comment

Great job on plot and video. I'm spending this cold Saturday working on my habitat plans for this upcoming spring and summer.

Comment

Originally posted by armadillophil View Post
                            Great job on plot and video. I'm spending this cold Saturday working on my habitat plans for this upcoming spring and summer.
                            It's a great time to do that.

Comment

Great video thx for posting

Comment

Working...
                              X