Stuck one from the saddle this weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck one from the saddle this weekend

Well last week I realized I was out of venison in my freezer. After my target buck got taken by someone else on opening weekend, and several bad hunts in a row, I decided I would use the nice weather this weekend to hopefully tag a doe before the rut and get the freezer filled back up.

First hunt was a bust, but Saturday afternoon we had a good north wind, so I decided to break out my JX3 hybrid saddle and head to our pecan flats to put some meat on the ground.

Group of doe came in, and had only been there a minute when 3 of them jumped out when some turkey bum rushed the pen. One doe stayed put for a minute so I went to full draw....and my peep sight is twisted. Had barely any visibility. She takes another step towards the edge of the pen, so I take a breath, settle the shot where I think I want it, and squeeze off. I see blood on the arrow so I thought I had a good shot. Wait an hour, get down and check. Good blood on the arrow but it was dry and looked darker than lighter. It's getting dark, so I start very quietly tracking. Blood starts out great, then quickly drops off about 15 yards from the pen.

I've seen this before, and start to wonder if its a liver shot. I follow the trail I can see she ran on for another 15 feet or so and then look up. She's 30 yards ahead of me piled up. As the saying goes, she didn't make it 50 yards!

Turns out the shot was high and back, but got both lungs and she died a humane death, so no complaints from me. Going to get the peep situation figured out (think I might have twisted it when nocking an arrow), but it was cool to get a deer from the saddle. It's a great tool especially for does, as you can make most of your movement behind the tree, and then rotate slowly out for the shot.

Long post for a story about killing a doe, but I get fired up about harvesting any animal with a bow. Plus the fresh backstrap for dinner last night was amazing!
    Attached Files

Well done! It's never just a doe - Congrats!

Comment

waydago!

Comment

good going

Comment

Congratulations. Nice write-up and cool picture.

Comment

Congrats!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Congrats. That plate looks great!

Comment

Stuck one from the saddle

That dish looks great, congrats on the doe

Comment

doe tomahawks!

Did they taste any better?

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Nice job gettin the freezer started in the right directions...both filling' it, then startin' to empty it again!
                      T- hawks look great!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats! im low too and need to get after it.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Congrats. Tomahawks look awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                              doe tomahawks!

Did they taste any better?
                              I tenderized them with a meat mallet, did a spoonful of Dijon mustard, garlic powder, olive oil, soy sauce and teriyaki marinade for about 6 hours, then put them over open coals with the kamado at 425 for 90 seconds a side. Let them rest for 5 minutes and went to work. Might be the best backstrap I've ever done. Limb shears make the tomahawk part easy.

They were delicious cold with lunch today too!

Comment

Working...
                              X