Lake Amistad 21-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lake Amistad 21-22

Any news on the sheep, did they trap them all? Who all plans on hunting there this year?

I have been exploring there all week, no sheep seen. Will ask tomorrow if i get by the office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds good, maybe if the mouflon are gone for good the aoudad will
      Be around more

Comment

Originally posted by Gringolevi View Post
        Sounds good, maybe if the mouflon are gone for good the aoudad will
        Be around more
        IME they don't really intermingle hunt areas.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
          IME they don't really intermingle hunt areas.
          FYI San Pedro camp grounds are open as of this morning when I went by there. Unfortunately, with water levels what they are the water in nowhere near the camp ground area.

For those wondering about the mouflon, numbers are down but there should be some in area 5. That will probably change as soon as hunters start chasing them back into private property at the start of the season.

Good luck to all hunting on amistad this year. Injury issues permitting, I plan to hunt often this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
            FYI San Pedro camp grounds are open as of this morning when I went by there. Unfortunately, with water levels what they are the water in nowhere near the camp ground area.

For those wondering about the mouflon, numbers are down but there should be some in area 5. That will probably change as soon as hunters start chasing them back into private property at the start of the season.

Good luck to all hunting on amistad this year. Injury issues permitting, I plan to hunt often this year.
            Thanks for the update! I actually prefer it that way, keeps casual campers outa my campground LOL. I don't normally go until November but we might actually make an early October trip this year, trying to weasel out of it still!

Comment

Can you deer hunt there?

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
                Can you deer hunt there?
                Yes dear are probably the preferred target species although in the last 3-4 years lots of folks went out there to chase mouflons in hunting area 5...

Comment

How is the deer population on amistad.

Comment

Super excited to hunt out there this year. Any tips on sheep hunting? I've never done it and not even Dr. Google has much to say about free-range mouflon hunting.

Comment

Well I wonder if they will close all the hunting areas?

Comment

Well I wonder if they will close all the hunting areas?
                        That would be a shame. We've already got several trips planned and a buddy already put in two separate weeks of vacation for hunts down there. Did you hear some rumblings or something?

Comment

Originally posted by liberaltears View Post
                          Super excited to hunt out there this year. Any tips on sheep hunting? I've never done it and not even Dr. Google has much to say about free-range mouflon hunting.
                          If there are several trucks on unit 5…park on the north side parking area and stalk to this point. Offset from the point a bit to the north to get a broadside. Take cover and wait. The moofies will be pushed your way from west to east and they seem to habitually scramble up this finger. Get ready for a running shot. I often see them pause just after the scrub trees but before the scrub brush on that finger.

The moofies bed on the leeward (east) side of the canyon faces further into the unit.

I havent seen a decent sized ram in several years. Maybe because I typically only get out there end of season in late Jan or early Feb.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Anyone hunt this weekend? Are they even giving out permits?

Comment

Anyone hunt this weekend? Are they even giving out permits?
                              Yes Sir permits are being sold… you can contact the office and do it over the phone I believe or on line…
                              I am still trying to get proficient with trad equipment so have not gone out there yet….

Comment

Working...
                              X