No announcement yet.

Do you give to beggars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't give money but I do typically keep snacks and water in my truck. I will gladly give food to someone who really needs it. You can tell pretty quickly if they are grateful or not.

Comment

Hail no
      Most likely just supporting a drug habit.

I did give a guy a bottle of water one time because it was a hot day and he was out there on a corner with a dog, no shade. He didn’t act too appreciative.

Comment

Built a house for a guy years ago. He had cleaned himself up and had a good job making close to 6 figures. He told me about his homeless days when he was addicted. He would always have his girlfriend begging because women would get more, and she would get handouts until they had enough for their next fix.

Comment

NO
          The only people I give money to is Salvation Army and any Fire Department collecting money at intersections.

Comment

Originally posted by sbushee View Post
            They’re Gypsies. Probably Romanian. Don’t give them a dime.
            Yall crack me up...Romanian...ha!

Comment

Nope, most are just freeloading. Like mentioned above, lots of gypsies and that is their scam. I have watched several times at the end of the day when a woman in a car drove around and picked them all up.

What I do contribute is to food banks and soup kitchens. Each year I buy several cases of Girl Scout cookies and give them to the kitchens. They love being able to put a desert on a meal for the needy. In the winter here, when they run the case lot sales in grocery store I will buy cases of soup or chili and drop off at the food bank.

Comment

I don't mind it every now and again. Don't carry cash around a lot, and don't believe any of them. Just do it on the random chance they may actually need some help.

As others have said, what they do is on them.

Comment

Someone above mentioned the guy feeding some to his dog. At least he thought about his four legged loyal friend. Heck, most of the time, I feel more sorry for the dog.
                  My dad was in an I-HOP once, a guy outside was selling leather key chains he made. My dad bought one. The guy immediately packed up and took off across the street to the booze store. My dad was POed.
                  A friend of mine came out of a breakfast shop one morning and handed one some breakfast. They said "wheres the coffee?" I dont think I could have held back on that one.

Comment

I have offered to buy beggars lunch when approached. Most have declined wanting cash which I did not give. A few have accepted my lunch offer and seemed very grateful.

Comment

I don't give money. Last one who wanted money I offered my huge breakfast taco. He said no thanks, "I'm allergic to eggs."

Comment

Originally posted by spotsanddots View Post
                        Someone above mentioned the guy feeding some to his dog. At least he thought about his four legged loyal friend. Heck, most of the time, I feel more sorry for the dog.
                        My dad was in an I-HOP once, a guy outside was selling leather key chains he made. My dad bought one. The guy immediately packed up and took off across the street to the booze store. My dad was POed.
                        A friend of mine came out of a breakfast shop one morning and handed one some breakfast. They said "wheres the coffee?" I dont think I could have held back on that one.
                        That would have made me laugh as I walked by.

Comment

It depends. In the past I have offered to help them get work, if they refuse, no I don't give money.

If they are hungry, out of gas, etc., I will buy eats or gas for them.

When they address me, I look them over real good, new cell phone, painted toenails, clean appearance, good clothing and accessories, overweight. Anything that might seem unusual for a homeless person. No will be the answer.

Its always better to give food or a needful item, never money.

Comment

I saw a kid one time holding a sign which read, "Not gonna lie, Need money for Prom" I don't know if he got any money that day but he got none from me.

Comment

I used to give some every now and then but stopped when I gave a man $10 for gas so he could make it to wherever he was going, he said $10 was all he needed so I prepaid for it inside the store. Watched him drive down to the next gas station, get out and walk around asking for money. Have had a few turn down the offer of buying them food instead of giving them cash.

Comment

Oh man that’s heavy..

Originally posted by LarryP_1989 View Post
                                Years ago I was with my mom and my sister eating at a Taco Bell after running some errands. When we pulled in the parking lot there was a man standing on the corner asking for change or food. We went in and ordered, and about 5 minutes later the man came in and walked up to the counter to order. I think he ordered a $0.89 burrito or something and as he was trying to count his change he dropped some and it rolled under the counter. He was on his hands and knees trying to get the change that had rolled under the counter. He kept apologizing to the people in line, and we noticed that he started crying. I assume from being embarrassed. Fortunately the woman behind him paid for his food. He thanked her numerous times and walked over to a table, sat down, bowed his head and said a prayer. Before we left we ordered some more food and walked over and gave it to him along with $10. He thanked us and said god bless with tears running down his face. After we got done we waited in the car to see where he would go when he left. He walked across the street under the overpass where he had a dog on a leash. He sat down next to a sleeping bag and shared some of the food we gave him with the dog. I do not know his story or how he wound up in his situation, but after seeing him trying to pay for his food we truly felt sorry for him. I normally never give to beggars but felt like this instance it was the right thing to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X