No announcement yet.

2019 Austin/Fayette/Washington Counties Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw a pretty nice deer last night while riding some backroads on the ranger. He was by himself and hard horned. Couldnt tell how big he was but he had a nice dark chocolate rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
      Saw a pretty nice deer last night while riding some backroads on the ranger. He was by himself and hard horned. Couldnt tell how big he was but he had a nice dark chocolate rack.

The dark horns and mass is what’s surprised me the most about the area. Even the young bucks haven’t had those yellow, pencil horns. Kind of reminds me of East Texas. Had a good one a week or two ago on one of the camera’s. Wasn’t a great picture, but at least looks promising.
      Attached Files

Comment

Fayette County Deer

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post

Fayette County Deer
          Slob.

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post

Fayette County Deer

Nice buck! I haven’t put out any cameras this year. Did see some does this weekend. I’m just south of the Fayette co. line in Lavaca co.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's looking like next weekend is going to be game day...

Comment

Got this double beam last weekend in Fayette Co. Score on this deer is not what was important, but it did raise the question of how you would score such a deer. Does a double beam only have the split beam for one year? Or is it an annual formation?

Comment

Last edited by Stuck; 10-10-2019, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Wow. Ive never seen one quite like that before. Both beams curve forward and up just like they should. Really cool deer and congrats on the kill. If he’s legal regardless, you should have the GW explain to you which beam would be regulated for the ar’s and let us know. Could be a learning experience for us.

Comment

Congratulations on getting a really neat freak of a buck! I have no doubt about his being legal due to all antlers having tines. But I have no clue if you're able to score 2 right side main beams. He's definitely a trophy I would have on my wall if only for the cool factor.

Comment

The narrower spread was 16.75” and the wider spread was 21.25”.

I am trying to find out how you would measure for antler restrictions and for b&c score. Do you take the narrower measurement or wider measurement for AR? I am trying to get in touch with our local biologist to see what she has to say.

Last edited by TAMU1998; 10-11-2019, 04:44 AM.

Comment

I dealt with a similar situation last year.
                          She will probably tell you it’s a judgement call by whoever is scoring/measuring the buck. Because you measure the inside spread of the ”main”antler beams at the widest place. This measurement is taken at a right angle to centerline vertical axis of the skull and parallel to its horizontal axis. The person taking the measurement will have to choose which beam they think is the main beam. The other and any points on it will be scored as non typical points.

Comment

I dealt with a similar situation last year.
                            She will probably tell you it’s a judgement call by whoever is scoring/measuring the buck. Because you measure the inside spread of the ”main”antler beams at the widest place. This measurement is taken at a right angle to centerline vertical axis of the skull and parallel to its horizontal axis. The person taking the measurement will have to choose which beam they think is the main beam. The other and any points on it will be scored as non typical points.

Comment

Originally posted by TAMU1998 View Post
                              Got this double beam last weekend in Fayette Co. Score on this deer is not what was important, but it did raise the question of how you would score such a deer. Does a double beam only have the split beam for one year? Or is it an annual formation?

That’s a one in a million deer.

Comment

Saw two small bucks fighting off of 389 this morning, and had what looked like an older/nicer deer semi-chasing a doe about 12:15 this afternoon. Looks like things are starting to happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X