Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sad those days are long gone.

Comment

I think about this everyday driving my bus and really thought about it last year when I saw a monster every morning. One morning I stopped the bus so he could cross.

Comment

I'm genuinely curious what of that time period people would want back?

There seemed to be a bit more mental toughness among people "back in the day", which is good or at the least we were better at hiding the problems we had or pretending like they don't exist but other than that by every objective measure (economically, violent crime and a bajillion other social issues) of society we are way better off now than we were back then.

I do understand the nostalgia of only remembering the cool aspects of when you were a kid, I obviously don't remember all the crappy aspects of the 80s so it would be easy to think of them as the "good days" but the world is, aside from a few aspects, a much better place for more people than it was at any other time.

I guess I was never big on nostalgia because I've already recognized it for the illusion that it is...

Comment

Congrats on the deer...…. lol...…………
          Lost times, for sure...……
          But, I can't think of a worse place, to carry a deer...…..

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post

There seemed to be a bit more mental toughness among people "back in the day", which is good or at the least we were better at hiding the problems we had or pretending like they don't exist but other than that by every objective measure (economically, violent crime and a bajillion other social issues) of society we are way better off now than we were back then.

I do understand the nostalgia of only remembering the cool aspects of when you were a kid, I obviously don't remember all the crappy aspects of the 80s so it would be easy to think of them as the "good days" but the world is, aside from a few aspects, a much better place for more people than it was at any other time.

I guess I was never big on nostalgia because I've already recognized it for the illusion that it is...

I ain't gonna argue with you about it, but I can say for me personally, you definition of "better" is sure different than mine and my recollection of my past in the 60's and 70's... Good and bad, I'd go back there in a heartbeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post

Those "few aspects" is a massive minimalization. Huge. I'll respectfully disagree. Maybe I'm not woke enough.

Comment

Things really were better then. We didn't fear each other like we do today. We trusted each other. We had less money but we didn't want as much as we seem to now. We were content with a decent job and a happy family. We were happy with the six point buck and didn't need the 140". I'm afraid for the path we are going down and how we are setting our kids up for failure. Life is real, not a facebook post. I think more people are worried about other peoples perception than the real thing. I hope I am wrong, but fear I am not.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                    Sometimes I wish we would get back to a point where things like this are ok again
                    Yes sir.

Them days is long gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
                      Things really were better then. We didn't fear each other like we do today. We trusted each other. We had less money but we didn't want as much as we seem to now. We were content with a decent job and a happy family. We were happy with the six point buck and didn't need the 140". I'm afraid for the path we are going down and how we are setting our kids up for failure. Life is real, not a facebook post. I think more people are worried about other peoples perception than the real thing. I hope I am wrong, but fear I am not.
                      I think you have some very valid points, especially on the trust issues and our culture of always wanting more and keeping up with the Joneses (which actually started WAY before any of us were born).

It's also very easy to look at the past with rose colored glasses, for example I grew up in the 1988 "Murder Capital of America" (currently the 4th poorest city in the nation, ranked the worst small town to live in in the nation last year) during the biggest violent crime spike the country has seen since the low point in the 1960s.

I remember that time as being "the good ol days" when when life was just plain peachy, everyone got along better and everything was better, except for The Devil being EVERYWHERE and trying to kidnap and everyone's babies of course..... It feels that way and that's how I remember it but I know it just ain't true.

We do have some pretty big cultural problems today but objectively, we are way better off now than at any other time and despite the problems it's easier than it has ever been to ignore them, go your own way and do your own thing.

And as far as hunting goes, we are absolutely living in the good ol days right now! Private land permissions issues aside, It's never been more accessible to go out and have the hunt of your dreams, just don't drive around town with a deer on your car.. it's really bad for the meat.

Comment

About 10 years ago or so, I had blood in the bed of my truck from the deer I had taken the weekend before. A colleague walking by my truck had seen it and reported it to my boss. I was asked to wash it out before returning to work the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by jlinville View Post
                          Id hate to see what would happen to someone for doing that in today's society.
                          Agree. We probably would be helping that bus driver load that deer

Comment

wow!! nice!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jlinville View Post
                              Id hate to see what would happen to someone for doing that in today's society.
                              If we could get WebsterTroy a bus driving job we might could see this again.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                                Those "few aspects" is a massive minimalization. Huge. I'll respectfully disagree. Maybe I'm not woke enough.
                                Yeah kinda seems to be the issue. I'd trade cell phones, the green screen, political correctness, and everything in between for times to be like they once were

Comment

Working...
                                X