Texas Sized Hog Trap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
    I've been to a hog hunt operation where the owner used a hot wire on the bottom inside as well as the top. There were no signs of digging anywhere.
    That will definitely do the trick thats what we had to on our farm growing up to keep them out of the fields.

Comment

Originally posted by mastercraftka View Post
      That will definitely do the trick thats what we had to on our farm growing up to keep them out of the fields.
      Keeping them out is a lot different than keeping them in. I'm hoping this keeps them in because that's what I'm going to do this weekend after a dozen recommendations.

I really do appreciate y'all's advice. I'm determined to catch a bunch of them. They have avoided all of the small traps. They will eat and root all of the way around a small trap but not go in.

Comment

Set that sucker see what happens trial by fire is always the best!!!lol

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
          Y'all are going to have to wait a bit. I decided to make some minor modifications like adding a latch to keep the gate from being lifted and perhaps a hot wire on the top to keep them off of it. So the gate is down for now and hogs are out.

For you viewing pleasure - I put up 39" fixed knot fencing. I am confident the hogs will not tear up that fence. That would be the second fence in this video.
          Fixed Knot Fence vs Hinged Joint Fence TEST - YouTube

But they were using a Ford to test it, no wonder it held up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            I understand the theory, I'm just curious how long before pig instinct takes over and they start tearing things up because they're pigs.[emoji16] What I mean is, a pig will tear up a fence to get out of a 1000 acre pasture, I'm curious how long they will wait in a couple acres. If I remember right, you live there, so it's likely you can catch them before they start acting all pigish.

Is there water in the enclosure?

I bet they stay pretty calm.

Until the shootin starts.....

Comment

Have you still not caught anything, OP? I'm going to unsubscribe if you can't keep me on the edge of my seat with live action.

Comment

I'm somewhat antsy too.

This video is pretty dry but does have something for us to look forward to!
                [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKy6yozXgSA"]Wild Hog Trapping | (9) 33/33 Feral Hog Capture | JAGER PROâ„¢ - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

In for this

Comment

Bait it, bait it! Set it already!

Comment

There was a delay in putting in the suggestions because she had a broken water line that required attention more than pigs. Probably will work on it some more on Saturday.
                      Thanks for being patient!

Comment

Ok, so I did set it and put a video camera on the gate. And I did trap at least 30 pigs and they did exactly what I feared - they jumped it. The little pigs found a shallow spot under the fence and slipped under. I have 4 cameras set up around the food plot and those pigs were in there for 2 hours. None of the photos or video indicate any type of panic.

I had to fix a water line last weekend and was only able to brace the uni-strut from leaning towards the truck tire. I am completely amazed at how quiet this gate drops.

Hopefully... this weekend or Monday I will be able to run a good hot wire around the top and 6-8" from the bottom and reset the trap.

Now I have a wireless Covert camera so I won't have to rush home to check it physically. I'm really happy about that.

Comment

I've been thinking for a while about doing something similar, so I'm interested in how this turns out. Can you post some pictures? Thanks!

Comment

Well at least it "trapped em". Go back and do some reinforcing and modifying and you will be ready to roll. Pretty cool........

Comment

For those of you sitting on the edge of your seats on this thread (I am, too!) go grab something to drink, watch some football and check back on Monday. I'll at least post some photos of my upgrades.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                                For those of you sitting on the edge of your seats on this thread (I am, too!) go grab something to drink, watch some football and check back on Monday. I'll at least post some photos of my upgrades.

Will do!

Comment

Working...
                                X