No announcement yet.

Texas Sized Hog Trap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love the gate and the thought process that went through it to piece together materials to make it work. The PVC and the uni-struts are ingenious

However, I agree with the common sentiment that the bigger plan isn't going to be that successful... but who knows.

I've heard from at least 2 small acreage (100a) hog hunting outfits that hogs brought in off a trailer tend to just run the fence line looking to bust out. So your fence has to be stout and even so they get some losses. They do eventually calm down though...

I've also seen some ranches that have penned up hogs that were feral trapped pigs that you'd think were just domestic at that point... even coming and going through a gate that got left open...

I think if a pig wanted out of your setup, it'd be pretty darn easy. Maybe I didn't see it, but it looks like they could nose up that gate fairly easily... Also, what can keep out a big cow isn't really a good analogy for a hog... I see lots of fences that keep in cows that have the lower wire bent up... bottom dug out so that the hog could get out...

The one thing you do have going for you though is that the place is big... so maybe they won't stress out... The reason traps are either very big or very small is because the smaller they are the more stout they have to be...

I'm tuned in... curious for your results. I don't think your experiment will be a waste... I think you will learn a lot and we'll also learn something along the way...

Comment

I am guessing that they won't panic too much in that big of an area. They may destroy the inside though and once they have made up their mind to escape, that wire fence will not keep them in, they will lift it up from the bottom and get under it.

Could be fun and agree you will have a better chance to trap a larger group. But you are not really trapping here, you are corralling them.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
        Suppressor fire from 2 shooters who excel in well placed shots. Start with the biggest and work down to the smallest.
        Cool !! Make sure you have a third person to video the action. That will be cool to watch.

Comment

Looks good. May work - may not, but looks like you're giving it a good shot. If you're worried about them lifting the gate (and I'm not sure how you would rig it without a welder), but I put a bar with a hinge on the top end and a rod on the bottom that slides into a hole just above where the top of the gate ends up fully closed. The PVC on yours would keep the rod pushed out until the gate closes, then fall into a hole to keep it from being pushed back up. Not sure that makes sense and my trap is loaned out, so I can't get pictures.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

In my experience when a hog escapes a trap (corral type) you can generally catch them again. They are confident that they can get back out, and will try the same method of escape. If that fails they will try and make a new one.

Point being I think they will likely bust out of there. A big hog will slam into that gate with everything they have plus a running start. Generates a ton of force and stress on your trap.

If they do you can get them again though. I am interested in how it goes. Good luck!

Comment

Anybody else worried about digging? They seem pretty good at that. This deserves its own Netflix show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

In for the first catch

Comment

That would be a sweet Bay Pen

Comment

Following...

Comment

Y'all are going to have to wait a bit. I decided to make some minor modifications like adding a latch to keep the gate from being lifted and perhaps a hot wire on the top to keep them off of it. So the gate is down for now and hogs are out.

For you viewing pleasure - I put up 39" fixed knot fencing. I am confident the hogs will not tear up that fence. That would be the second fence in this video.
                      [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIs_kfi29V0"]Fixed Knot Fence vs Hinged Joint Fence TEST - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

I wouldn't worry so much about them going through it which they can but more about under and over it.

We built ours with chain link and it worked awesome.

Comment

Subscribed!

Comment

Originally posted by mastercraftka View Post
                            I wouldn't worry so much about them going through it which they can but more about under and over it.

We built ours with chain link and it worked awesome.
                            How did you keep them from going under it?

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                              How did you keep them from going under it?
                              They will lift that sucker up believe me.

Well we had a pen but much smaller and we made stakes out of rebar and put them every of often between t posts.

We have also had luck burying some wire inward. I think on your set up the best thing to do is put more posts inbetween and run a tight barb wire strand along the bottom. That will slow them down but if in there long enough they will get out.

Comment

I've been to a hog hunt operation where the owner used a hot wire on the bottom inside as well as the top. There were no signs of digging anywhere.

Comment

Working...
                                X