Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
    Yes, Matagorda has 2. matagordabay.com and gomatagorda.com
    Sweet, thanks. We lazy fish the surf almost exclusively.

Comment

Academy has a Lews combo that's 59 bucks I believe, or did before covid. Those suckers work great for 1 season of surf fishing then they hit the trash.

Comment

I just fish it out of my boat and my reels stay working just fine.

Comment

I use the same reels in the surf as I do in the bay. Just clean them up when I’m done. I haven’t had an issue, even after they were dunked. Which they will if you are in the surf.

Comment

When conditions are right is when you go. On my hard baits I use in the surf I mash the barbs flat on my treble hooks that way if you get hooked it pulls right out. Wait for light wind for a day or 2 and be there at daylight. Don't just setup on 1 spot for the day drive beach and look for bait and birds.

Comment

Will the conditions be right to fish the surf this weekend near Corpus? Going down Saturday through Tuesday and staying at my in-laws. Wanting to get some fishing in with my son. Suggestions on where to access the beach? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntercoach View Post
                Will the conditions be right to fish the surf this weekend near Corpus? Going down Saturday through Tuesday and staying at my in-laws. Wanting to get some fishing in with my son. Suggestions on where to access the beach? Thanks!
                Not quite.
                Load the windfinder app & monitor it. If it improves go ck out the surf cams.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockley View Post
                  . Shimano’s will fall apart in the surf.

I bet there are more 20 year old shimanos still rolling than any diawa ever made

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post

I bet there are more 20 year old shimanos still rolling than any diawa ever made
                    The best real I have ever owned was a Diawa salt water series(some crack head stole it in broad daylight)but with that being said, yea the old Shimanos are bullet proof...

Comment

Still use my ABU 5000 in salt water. 15 lb mono. I like to throw skitterwalks, spooks, and poppers on top. Glow or glow and chartreuse plastics. Other favorite colors are root beer and strawberry. I also like twitch baits in the surf. The jig is usually 1/4 oz. but will go heavier in high current situations.

Comment

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
                        Still use my ABU 5000 in salt water. 15 lb mono. I like to throw skitterwalks, spooks, and poppers on top. Glow or glow and chartreuse plastics. Other favorite colors are root beer and strawberry. I also like twitch baits in the surf. The jig is usually 1/4 oz. but will go heavier in high current situations.
                        Yep I'm throwing older 5500c3's now in the surf. I keep them saturated inside and out with "Real Magic" 0 issues... Bullet proof reals and easy to overhaul.. Not as comfortable as the my profile reals but reliable as the old Remongton 870 Wingmaster!! They take many dunkings and keep on ticking.
                        15lb Big Game in green is what I spool up with. Ive tried it all. I never caught the braid fever but I spent a bunch trying different brands.. It's noisey, hard to tie and dam near impossible to cut. Not what I want when fighting swells in the surf..
                        Last edited by PondPopper; 05-27-2021, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                          Yep I'm throwing older 5500c3's now in the surf. I keep them saturated inside and out with "Real Magic" 0 issues... Bullet proof reals and easy to overhaul.. Not as comfortable as the my profile reals but reliable as the old Remongton 870 Wingmaster!! They take many dunkings and keep on ticking.
                          15lb Big Game in green is what I spool up with. Ive tried it all. I never caught the braid fever but I spent a bunch trying different brands.. It's noisey, hard to tie and dam near impossible to cut. Not what I want when fighting swells in the surf..
                          I have some ABUs from my dad. 5000,5500s and 6000s, black, gray and red. Couple have holes rusted in the bottom but would catch a fish today

Comment

I don’t necessarily target them but catch a few here and there. We generally don’t target them a lot so don’t catch them a lot. We do get some when we catch live bait in the surf and fish those. We have caught some off cut bait as well. Seems like their stomachs are always empty when that happens.

Comment

Get you a 1/4oz silver spoon or a live skrimp under a popping cork and have some fun soon as it gets flat

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                                Same here but 20# Big Game. I've used my 5500c's over 25 years...some more than that. Easy to take apart and clean.

Still hunt with my 40+ year old 870 wingmaster too...lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X