Academy and IMR 4064: is this price right? Or is it gouging the consumer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigJimmyRustler View Post
    Another TBH thread that's devolved into half the site telling the other half what they're allowed to spend their money on? NICE.
    Right, but I would just hope some of these experts know the difference in gunpowder and smokeless powder [emoji2957] Most of the experts, who probably saw/read something on the internet, continue to call it gunpowder.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kong View Post
      Kinda, ammo isn’t a huge problem unless you have thousands of rounds stored inside the safe and at that point you will run into an issue. A single pound of gunpowder is a huge problem in thr though. It could absolutely blow up like a bomb. 10 plus pounds would probably level a good portion of the house and kill anyone close by.

Food for thought, most home owners policies will only allow up to 25 pounds of powder to be stored inside the home with some policies not allowing any so if you have a bunch of powder it may be worth checking into that.
      Gunpowder out of safe and in shed in zip lok bags. Thank you, Kong.
      But, it seems to me that it is safer to store 10k+ inside the safe rather than out of the safe. Yes?

Comment

Gouging. Usually $29.99

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Academy and IMR 4064: is this price right? Or is it gouging the consumer

Originally posted by rcjunky007 View Post
          Gouging. Usually $29.99

No gouging would be the $125 1# bottle of IMR4166 I saw at the gun show last weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          Last edited by Mike D; 05-24-2021, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Funny how everybody is talking about gouging ammo this and that with Academy, but no response about gasoline that has went up almost 100% since the elections.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
              No gouging would be the $125 bottle of IMR4166 I saw at the gun show last weekend.

I just bought two pounds of 4064 last week at academy for $29.99

Comment

Originally posted by rcjunky007 View Post
                I just bought two pounds of 4064 last week at academy for $29.99

Good find.

Comment

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
                  Right, but I would just hope some of these experts know the difference in gunpowder and smokeless powder [emoji2957] Most of the experts, who probably saw/read something on the internet, continue to call it gunpowder.

So could I assume you know more about powder than I do since I’m an internet reader? I’ve probably spilled more on the ground than you’ve ever seen.

Comment

So could I assume you know more about powder than I do since I’m an internet reader? I’ve probably spilled more on the ground than you’ve ever seen.
                    Maybe, maybe not. I'm guessing you to be in your early 30's maybe, but that's just an uneducated guess. Close?

Comment

57 and I’ve been reloading for the last 36 years. I average around 600 rounds a week now, I’ve slowed down a good bit so I don’t think I’ve read anything on line and spewing garbage.

Comment

57 and I’ve been reloading for the last 36 years. I average around 600 rounds a week now, I’ve slowed down a good bit so I don’t think I’ve read anything on line and spewing garbage.
                        There you go....

Comment

I paid $42 per pound for 5lbs (after tax and shipping) from midsouth this week.

Sounds like a fair price.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I always love these type threads, very entertaining.

Is it gouging? I wouldn't pay that, but someone will. Then again I am well prepared and maybe the other guy isn't. Which is really what all these threads are about anyways. We all know the political world we live in now days. If you have been shooting for any amount of time you know these shortages come up, or at least you should know. The vast majority of this crisis could have been avoided if people would have just bought the things they knew they would eventually need when they were available. But they didn't, and now they are in a bind. Pretty much self-inflicted if you ask me.

I wish it wasn't the world we live in but enough precedent has been set over the last 30 years that we know that it is. Be proactive and manage it or pay the price. Generally it doesn't take a crystal ball to figure out when one of these events is coming up. Don't like paying $46/lb? Then stock up when it is $30. Even $30 seems high to me because a lot of mine was bought in at $25-$28. Or less.

I know a shooter can't always predict all of his reloading needs. Maybe you want to try a new powder, new bullet, you get a new gun, whatever. Maybe you want to go take a class you didn't plan on, something like that. I get that. But if a guy was otherwise well stocked, and most of the other shooters were too, then making a trade for what each person needed would be fairly simple. I have lots of single or partial boxes of bullets, different type primers, partial pounds of powders that if someone posted up they needed some for testing or whatever I would trade or send them no problem. 35 years of heavy reloading gets you in that position. But that is a totally different situation from just being unprepared on a basic level, which is what is driving most of this shortage.
                            Last edited by Jethro; 05-26-2021, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                              I always love these type threads, very entertaining.

Is it gouging? I wouldn't pay that, but someone will. Then again I am well prepared and maybe the other guy isn't. Which is really what all these threads are about anyways. We all know the political world we live in now days. If you have been shooting for any amount of time you know these shortages come up, or at least you should know. The vast majority of this crisis could have been avoided if people would have just bought the things they knew they would eventually need when they were available. But they didn't, and now they are in a bind. Pretty much self-inflicted if you ask me.

I wish it wasn't the world we live in but enough precedent has been set over the last 30 years that we know that it is. Be proactive and manage it or pay the price. Generally it doesn't take a crystal ball to figure out when one of these events is coming up. Don't like paying $46/lb? Then stock up when it is $30. Even $30 seems high to me because a lot of mine was bought in at $25-$28. Or less.

I know a shooter can't always predict all of his reloading needs. Maybe you want to try a new powder, new bullet, you get a new gun, whatever. Maybe you want to go take a class you didn't plan on, something like that. I get that. But if a guy was otherwise well stocked, and most of the other shooters were too, then making a trade for what each person needed would be fairly simple. I have lots of single or partial boxes of bullets, different type primers, partial pounds of powders that if someone posted up they needed some for testing or whatever I would trade or send them no problem. 35 years of heavy reloading gets you in that position. But that is a totally different situation from just being unprepared on a basic level, which is what is driving most of this shortage.
                              You hit the nail on the head!

Comment

My guess is they aren't getting nearly as much product per hazmat order, therefore increase.

Comment

Working...
                                X