No announcement yet.

Diy 2x72 grinder build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you really need 3 hp with one of these grinders? Are you borderline to bog it down?

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
      Do you really need 3 hp with one of these grinders? Are you borderline to bog it down?
      Not really. A lot of guys use 1.5 hp, but when you shop in Craigs list sometimes you'll take what you can get.

Comment

I built a NWG years ago then built a polar bear forge Grinder in a box I that if your going to build one the GIB is the best deal I sold all off them and have a KMG and I wouldn't take anything for it except may be a TW 90

Comment

Originally posted by Bama View Post
          I built a NWG years ago then built a polar bear forge Grinder in a box I that if your going to build one the GIB is the best deal I sold all off them and have a KMG and I wouldn't take anything for it except may be a TW 90
          I've never seen that TW 90. That this is crazy expensive, but looks sweet.

Comment

I used one Johnny stout had its expensive but it is probably the tightest tolerance built grinder out there it runs smooth as a top no noise at all or vibration

Comment

Some updates. I got my wheels in and drilled holes. Gave it a coat of paint. Need to build the platen and big wheel attachment. And I got in the VFD. Trying to upload pics but I guess I'll have to use craptalk

Comment

Pics

Comment

Did some more work on it yesterday. It's close to finished

Comment

Looking good. It's fun and a headache at the same time. Be sure and post up the finished product. Looking forward to seeing it in action.

Comment

Got some work done this week end. Just waiting on belts.

Comment

Originally posted by 1shot View Post
                        So far I spent about 200 on wheels. And I bought a 3hp and a 2hp motor of craigs list for 180. The 3hp will go on this and the 2 hp will be a disk grinder. The most expensive part was the KB vfd to run the motor ($400). But it will be fully variable speed without pullies.
                        Looks good. Just make sure that your work rest stays parallel to and square with your contact wheel or your grinds will vary from one side of the blade to the other.
                        Last edited by MikeConner; 05-25-2015, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Got my belts in. Got it close to squared up, and got the small wheel attachment on.

Comment

Looks good!! Wish I had the know-how to do that! I'll end up just having to buy one when I save up the $$

Comment

Do you have it rigged where you are running both the grinder and the disk off of the same VFD? I set mine up that way, has been good.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
                                Do you have it rigged where you are running both the grinder and the disk off of the same VFD? I set mine up that way, has been good.
                                I was going to but since on is a 3hp and one is a 2hp so I couldn't do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X