Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Random electrician installation question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random electrician installation question.

If you are installing recessed lighting and the light needs to line up under one of the studs how do you install it? To explain it further if the light needs to line up a foot to the left in the picture how would an electrician install it?

I'm not sure I'm following 100% but your light(s) should not line up to any joist/stud when you are designing the light pattern. Moving the light would be much easier than putting in blocks to cut out enough of the joist to fit the light there.

Comment

You’re out of luck. Can’t mount a recessed light on a joist that I’m aware of.

Comment

This is the answer you need....you can't get right on a joist but you can get close enough that your eye will not see the offset.

.....and God Bless America.

Comment

Like others have said,your NOT gonna put it where it goes,just put it an inch off of stud

Comment

You don't.
            You layout your lights so they are between the joists. Pretty simple maths...

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
              This is the answer you need....you can't get right on a joist but you can get close enough that your eye will not see the offset.

.....and God Bless America.
              these work great, especially for remodels. I have used them and thy put out a good bit of light, no can needed!!

Comment

but you still can't put them right on a joist or rafter

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDave View Post
                  You don't.
                  You layout your lights so they are between the joists. Pretty simple maths...
                  This. The cans may not fall exactly where the print shows. I always space them evenly and in a line that falls between joists. I am too OCD for cans that are out of line.

Comment

Thanks I was helping a guy today and was just had a what if thought. I guess if you have to follow the plans exactly you are out of luck.

Comment

Could you get your framer to reframe? Could add and move the one in the way to allow the light to go in the correct place.

Comment

Originally posted by 125Dad View Post
                        Could you get your framer to reframe? Could add and move the one in the way to allow the light to go in the correct place.
                        That is not an easy thing to do with TJI's that in an engineered floor
                        much easier to move the fixture

Comment

Do NOT notch the I-Joist, move the light(s)

Comment

Working...
                          X