No announcement yet.

Teacher pay raises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eradicator, you seem to be debating with someone who has made up his mind and with limited knowledge. Hats off to you for trying to explain it to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain39 View Post
      You sound like a REAL A-hole
      Yeah, pretty much

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
        Eradicator, you seem to be debating with someone who has made up his mind and with limited knowledge. Hats off to you for trying to explain it to him.
        My mind is pretty made up, my knowledge is probably not as limited as you believe. But I, like everyone else, have been told give us money for X, then we will fix the problems. I tend to think, since that has never worked in the past i doubt it will work now. So maybe the problems should be fixed, then if more money is needed we reassess.

Since every private business must be fiscally responsible, then govt run entities should be fiscally responsible too. If there is waste or misappropriations then fix that and see how much money you have. I know that seems way out there for some, but that is what the reality should be. Simply saying its too late, that won't ever happen, or this is how we have always done it is really not a good excuse

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
          My mind is pretty made up, my knowledge is probably not as limited as you believe. But I, like everyone else, have been told give us money for X, then we will fix the problems. I tend to think, since that has never worked in the past i doubt it will work now. So maybe the problems should be fixed, then if more money is needed we reassess.

Since every private business must be fiscally responsible, then govt run entities should be fiscally responsible too. If there is waste or misappropriations then fix that and see how much money you have. I know that seems way out there for some, but that is what the reality should be. Simply saying its too late, that won't ever happen, or this is how we have always done it is really not a good excuse

I don't think that's unreasonable at all and never said that's the way it's always been done. When I said it's too late I was referring to the teachers being the ones responsible and parents not doing their part. That is why there is added responsibility and less recourse for the teachers. You see, we are coming full circle and I'm glad you are finally understanding

And you still paid property taxes regardless of how you chose to educate your kids...

This isn't worth debating anymore at this point unless we start talking about personal things and I'm not comfortable asking you those questions on a public forum. I digress

Comment

Government exists to do things that need to be done that are NOT profitable. Things like public libraries, schools, the military etc. "Fiscal resposibility" is different for government. No reasonable person would want to sell Yellowstone for development if it had a few years where it was revenu negative.

But you are right money into broken system doesn't make sense. It isn't broken in that it doesn't turn a profit, or ripe with fraud and abuse. It is broken because it doesn't provide a quality product.

Almost all the good teachers work in the best school districts. The ones that work in the bad areas of town are hamstrung by onerous regulations that might have been meant for good but the impact of which isn't. We are starting to experience the effects of several generations of a poor public school product. Of course, a lot of blame lays at the feet of the parents. I still believe that a proper education has the ability to empower one to transcend rough surroundings and succeed. Our education system has failed to adapt and cope with the breakdown of the nuclear family and large scale abandonment of traditional judeo-christian values. Instead of realizing that today's student lives in a domestic situation more like "Eight Mile" than "The Andy Griffith" show, today's administrators have abdicated their responsibilty to adapt. Instead, we are re-enforcing multi-generational poverty.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
              I am in favor of pay raises for teachers, although I have to wonder why some teachers complain a lot about low pay, conditions, difficult kids, lack of administrative support, etc., etc., etc. when they knew the salary structure before they accepted the jobs. If you don't enjoy the job, do something else.

After reviewing all the complaints about property taxes, I got to wondering how many complain about rising taxes but still want teachers to get raises.

I know many will complain about wasted tax revenues, and I am sure there is some of that, especially in larger districts. I have served on my local White Oak ISD board and the Kilgore College board, and I can testify that there was a constant challenge of trying to fund annual increases in operations and raises while not raising taxes more than necessary. Money was always tight and not wasted.

So..how many on TBH are willing for their property taxes to increase (probably considerably) to pay for teachers raises?

I'm not really wanting another discussion about bonds, wasting revenues, stupid administrative decisions, et. Just yes or no about supporting increased property taxes to fund raises.
              So each year you think the schools can hold teachers/kids hostage by saying no way to give teachers a raise without raising property taxes? But school budgets can explode with waste year/year at the same time?

Come on. That's not even close to a fair question.

But screw it. I'll say yes. Raise taxes then. Maybe if taxes get high enough and then we ever hit a real economic slow down the people will wake up and demand the schools stop wasting money. Because no one apparently give a crap how much money is blown until teachers want a raise.

Comment

Yes or no? Support teacher raises or not? Support increasing property taxes or not?

I firmly believe that there is very little, if any, waste in small school districts. There simply isn't that much cushion in their budgets.

School taxes make up the largest % of property taxes, by far, in the Texas taxing districts.
                How can school tax be the largest % and go up every year yet there be no waste?

In a perfect world taxes in general would stay the exact same %. You may pay more in taxes each year as inflation rises and you make more but the % should never rise.

Do you agree with that Randy?

Originally posted by glen View Post
                I’d pay more if I knew it was going to teachers pay raises. I have paid more taxes every year but don’t think teachers have gotten any raises
                Nail meet hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                  At least you realize your selfish

This is a joke right?
                  Just in case I’m going to bite and ask You to please explain how I’m selfish?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Yeah, I know. I am a flaming liberal snowflake and don't know what to do about it. For the life of me, I cannot think logically. That's just the way I am, and I hate myself for it!
                    Graysonhogs posted about a man cuddle group. PM him if you want to join.

Originally posted by elhefe View Post
                    I echo what Dale said. Burnadell, I get it. No one wants to raise taxes but every teacher wants a raise. There is so much waste in the school system and the majority of teachers are good to great and go above and beyond. You’re pragmatic response seems to indicate that teachers should just get over it. This is my assumption and could be wrong but I would suggest that your intuition on teachers roles or extra work etc... is probably lacking.
                    According to a few people teachers should never get a raise again. LOL
                    Do we really need to ponder what would happen to a government run system if the pay didn't at least keep up with inflation?

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                      Graysonhogs posted about a man cuddle group. PM him if you want to join.

According to a few people teachers should never get a raise again. LOL

Do we really need to ponder what would happen to a government run system if the pay didn't at least keep up with inflation?

[emoji51][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
                        There are roughly 350,000 class room teachers which if all get 5k would equal 1.75 billion towards teachers salary's.

Rwc
                        And there are 7.4 million homes paying an average $4,750 in property tax each year.

By my math that's crapload more than 350k times 5k Like 22 times more

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                          I think an answer is why teachers complain about pay after they’ve been teaching is not because they didn’t understand the pay schedule. It’s that they underestimated the level is BS they have to put up with.

What about Houston fire fighters? Did they not understand the pay schedule? I don’t see why this complaining is often aimed at teachers and not police of fire fighters. Everyone always knows the pay before they take a job.
                          This. Lets see how well it would fly if Firefighters never received raises and had to spend their own money keeping their equipment in good shape. AND no firefighter could ever be fired so the good ones always pick up the slack of the lazy ones that just sit around all day.

Then we could tell them to stop complaining..as they knew the starting pay!

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                            My property taxes are going up almost $20,000, this year, and go up every year, might as well give us a raise cause taxes are going up regardless. Both my wife and I work for our school district.
                            Do you mean your property value went up 20k? If your property tax went up 20k in one year then you're doing pretty dang good working for the school district!

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                            Those who are whining about higher taxes need to get a better job so you can afford them. 😂
                            LOL..

Stop whining, you knew about taxes when you got a job.

Comment

No to raising property taxes. Yes to giving the lunch ladies a raise.

Comment

I think we will have to agree to disagree too, because when society is dependent on schools and not family to teach our youth it is probably too late anyway. And i am talking more than teaching the three Rs, i mean morals, ethics, etc.

What i would like for our youth, is for their parents take responsibility for them. As it stands now many parents seem to think the school system is there to raise their kids, and the school system seems to have decided to try to take on that role, apparently willing and not begrudgingly. That is a huge part of the problem with schools, they are not parents, but by trying to play that role we have gotten where we are now. I really do not want to perpetuate this system, as i think it is quite possibly the worst thing we can do for the youth/future. Not necessarily the teacher's fault (possibly not at all the teachers fault), but it is the system we would be supporting by putting more money into it.

But anyway, i am sure a raise will get voted in, cause "its for the children" always works, even when the children are actually getting screwed in the long run.

Have a good one

Well in the day of an over flow of illegal aliens, and single parent homes this doesn't and wont happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X