No announcement yet.

M700 value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I followed directions on the link I posted above. Only knowing that can paint doesn't cure that hard, I waited several days between coats, put 3 for the tan. I wish I would have got another can of the marbleizing and wasted it practicing coverage. Got it a little heavier than I wanted to. Anyway, after I felt like it was cured enough, I applied multiple coats of clearcoat, giving several days between coats. I don't remember which clear coat I used, but I think it was for car wheels, as I got advice that it was one of the hardest. I had camoed a .22 mag before and liked the job I did, but the krylon clearcoat was too soft, and scratched too easy. There is some two part epoxy in spray cans, with a can on the bottom you twist on and mix up, but it had a limited shelf life after mixing, and cost about $35 a can, so I went with the wheels stuff. this appears tough, but I haven't had in in the field yet.

This is really pretty easy to do, I have another .22 that has a hardwood stock covered with brown stain to make it look like real gun wood, and I may do it in the future when I replace the trigger spring I cut off too short in an effort to improve the trigger. Those stocks are really ugly to me, like the factory Remington stock on the rifle in this discussion, so I don't think I could make it worse. Heck if one wanted to experiment, just take a 2x4 and learn on, like I said, this one wasn't hard at all, and I am an a/c guy, not any kind of painter. The key is to have the outer surface hard enough, or you will just beat the paint off.

Comment

Oh yeah, I took the rifle apart of course, and spent a good bit of time taping off what I didn't want painted. Didn't want any less clearance in the action areas, and the barrell channel. These come with a v shaped pressure point on the end of the stock, and it shoots so good I didn't want to change that. If I replaced the stock, I would free float the barrel and bed the action and see how it likes that. Not to hard to add some back on a wood stock, not sure if epoxy will stick to this plastic one or not. Some rifles like some barrel pressure, some don't.

Comment

Working...
      X