Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about a Maverick 88 12 gauge. Under $200

Comment

I have slug guns...a savage 220, but have this desire for a large bore rifle that will not break the bank, or my shoulder...dont want or need anything in the AR platform. This would be one step up from a safe queen...a rugged truck type gun that's used occasionally for hogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Davik View Post
        I have slug guns...a savage 220, but have this desire for a large bore rifle that will not break the bank, or my shoulder...dont want or need anything in the AR platform. This would be one step up from a safe queen...a rugged truck type gun that's used occasionally for hogs.
        Good luck finding a “big bore” that is easy on your shoulder. See my thread on mastodon slaughter.

Comment

444 kills everything. I pile up over 30 deer per year with a 444 , countless hogs, and a couple of gators too. No recoil from the Handi or the CVA. All of them will get the job done. 200-300 yards no problem for the 444. My straight stock Marlins and Winchester 94 Shadow kick hard, never could figure it?

The CVA Scout 44 Mag is sweet and the 444 with muzzle brake, heck of a good deal too.

The 444 can ruin some meat though if you ain’t careful.
          Last edited by Johnny44; 02-13-2019, 10:03 PM.

Comment

I’d say 45-70 or 444. Sold my 70 and now have the 444. I love it. Recoil is t bad and hits like a hammer.

“There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” -Fred Bear-

Comment

If you find a 44 Magnum for the right price, it can be hand reamed to 445 Super Magnum for more power.

Comment

I am shooting the Ruger Model 77 44 Mag for lions, bears and hogs. I am shooting with iron sights but toying with the idea of putting a Trijicon RMR on it. I am a fan of the Hornady 240 grain XTP ammo. I have seen it launch some mature black bear off perches as well as hammer 200+ pound hogs.
                With the longer barrel of the rifle (18.5"), this caliber is a different animal than it is in my Super Blackhawk.
                Adios,
                Gary

Comment

45-70 flat knocked a hog sideways when i shot it. Great for a thumper but you are giving up ballistics. Single shot, you are also giving up multiple kills and or follow up shots on the fly.

Comment

Working...
                  X