Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Nancy Pelosi trying to prevent the State of the Union address?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rtp View Post
    The President isnt allowed in the House unless invited, so yes as Speaker she can keep him out. The Senate could invite him to address them or he can give the SOTU anywhere he chooses.

Thanks. That's what I assumed, but I wanted to be sure. I've heard her say he needed to postpone the address for security reasons. That was when he was leaving the Country for 10 days. The POTUS changed her plans

I'm curious what her reasoning will be now if she still refused to allow him to give the address. It would be nice if she would just say she hates his guts and doesn't want him anywhere near Washington.

Comment

She had already given him an invitation prior to her asking that he postpone. Whether or not she can rescind I don't know.

Comment

Well, it looks like she has in fact rescinded.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi dug in Wednesday on her call to delay the State of the Union address even after President Trump vowed to proceed with the speech next week, sending a curt letter making clear she will not allow the event to take place during the government shutdown.

Comment

She just announced the President is not invited as long as the Government is shutdown

Comment

My understanding is that it's not so much that she is rescinding the invitation as the fact that there has to be a joint resolution from both chambers to let him give the address there in front of all of them. Therefore even if the Senate passes a resolution to have him speak, she can refuse to bring the House resolution to the floor to even be voted on.

Comment

Shane nailed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                No. But she doesn't want to have to sit behind him on live national TV while he makes the case for protecting the border to the American people.

That's gonna be quality tv watching!

Comment

Originally posted by stickerpatch59 View Post
                  I don't think she can stop him from giving one, can she?
                  Actually, contrary to the opinions above, she can.

The President can enter the Capitol building without permission, and according to the 115th Congress' rules (the 116th Congress' rules haven't been read in yet), the Speaker is unable to entertain any motions that would strike down the clause allowing the POTUS access to the Hall of the House. So Trump can enter the House without an invite.

That's where it stops. The House is governed by parliamentary procedure, and without express permission from Pelosi, Trump cannot start giving a speech in the House without violating procedure.

Now, if he were to persist and speak out of order, we would have an interesting Constitutional dilemma at hand, because theoretically, the two Sergeant at Arms (both House and Senate) are the only people to have the Constitutional authority to physically detain a sitting President. That should play REAL well with the Secret Service.
                  Last edited by JonBoy; 01-23-2019, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
                    Actually, contrary to the opinions above, she can.

The President can enter the Capitol building without permission, and according to the 115th Congress' rules (the 116th Congress' rules haven't been read in yet), the Speaker is unable to entertain any motions that would strike down the clause allowing the POTUS access to the Hall of the House. So Trump can enter the House without an invite.

That's where it stops. The House is governed by parliamentary procedure, and without express permission from Pelosi, Trump cannot start giving a speech in the House without violating procedure.

Now, if he were to persist and speak out of order, we would have an interesting Constitutional dilemma at hand, because theoretically, the two Sergeant at Arms (both House and Senate) are the only people to have the Constitutional authority to physically detain a sitting President. That should play REAL well with the Secret Service.
                    These procedures I did not know about but, holy ****, can you imagine?!

Comment

Because she is a sinile idiot

Comment

Originally posted by batmaninja View Post
                        I really think it is because they dont want to show Ruthie dead on national TV.

Comment

It’s all theater, and nothing more. Mark my words. The government will no longer be shut down, the wall partially funded and DACA extended and the A S S & the pachyderm will parade their “victory” on national tv. None of them will forfeit that much tv exposure.

Comment

Because of this.. She doesn't want Trump to have the national spot because she is scared..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                              It’s all theater, and nothing more. Mark my words. The government will no longer be shut down, the wall partially funded and DACA extended and the A S S & the pachyderm will parade their “victory” on national tv. None of them will forfeit that much tv exposure.
                              Words marked.

Comment

Trump announced that he would delay the state of the union speak until after the government shut down was over. This was reported on FOX tonight

Comment

Working...
                                X