Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought this thread was going to be about the World Cup loss

Comment

The official number has already jumped to 129 candidates as of today!!

Total reported narco related murders for May alone was 2,890!! Highest in a singe month since 1997.

You gotta wonder how much worse central america is if all this is happening SOTB & no asylum granted for Mexican civi's. Even the trump admin won't touch this...amazing of the rampant media blackout.

(article chopped up from c/p)

Interesting take from last week:

“The Bullet of Impunity”

June 18, 2018

The bullet that killed Fernando Purón Johnston , PRI candidate for federal deputy in Piedras Negras, Coahuila on Friday, June 8, was the same one used six days earlier, on June 2, that killed Pamela Terán Pineda, candidate for councilor El Juchitán , Oaxaca, and Juana Maldonado Infante, candidate for local deputy in Jopala, Puebla .

The same bullet was used the next day, on Saturday June 9, which wounded Rosely Magaña, candidate for councilor in Isla Mujeres, Quintana Roo, who died 72 hours later. And it was the same bullet that killed Alejandro Chávez, candidate for mayor of Taretan, Michoacán on Thursday, June 14th.

This same bullet has killed 44 pre-candidates and candidates for election and other 70 officials and political figures in this election process. No ballistic proof is needed to sustain the claim, just follow the path of the bullet of impunity.

The person who ordered Purón's murder probably knew that nothing was going to happen to him, because nothing happened to Terán's murderer , and he knew that Salado's murderer had nothing happen to him and so goes back in time the long thread of impunity.

I get the impression that we already saw this movie. The sequence of candidates killed in the current electoral process in Mexico is very similar to the list of dozens of journalists killed in Mexico in the last decade. A succession of crimes that alarm at first, but have become normalized.

Candidates and journalists are two high-risk groups in Mexico. Of course, they are not the only ones, they are only two subgroups of rampant unabated violence that last year averaged 20 victims a day and of which there is no end in sight.

While the motive of each murder is particular, in the case of journalists and candidates, a common thread unites them in that the victims may have touched powerful interests that prefer to use violence to end threats because they live in a country with a broken rule of law. Violence is a cheap, fast and easy remedy to perceived threats to institutions.

Throughout this succession of crimes there are those who warn about the gestation of an epidemic but their voices are drowned because nothing ever happens, until a high-profile case arrives that causes greater impact, which raises the volume of the complaints, although the increasing demand for sentencing does not end up solving anything.

The "strong condemnation" that we hear from the authorities is just a placebo that shows its inefficiency. Worse yet, when those high-profile cases are registered in the highest spheres of authority, after having ignored dozens of other cases, things are only likely to get worse.

Fernando Purón was the highest-profile candidate killed in the current electoral process, as he was the first candidate to hold a federal election position, while the previous candidates had been candidates for local positions in small municipalities.

His death was the first that merited the presence of a member of the cabinet of President Enrique Peña Nieto at the funeral. The Secretary of Labor, Roberto Campa, traveled to Piedras Negras as the presidential representative, but also with the same common promises to deliver justice.

Something similar happened with the case of Javier Valdez, the highest profile journalist killed in Mexico in recent years.

A year ago, when Javier Valdez was gunned down in Culiacán, Peña Nieto spoke for the first time about the murder of a journalist, after having ignored 35 previous crimes committed during his six-year term . The president brought together the security cabinet and the governors, issued instructions to strengthen the protection of journalists and promised that the killing would not go unpunished.

A year later, two of the three men who attacked Valdez on May 15, 2017 have been detained, but accused only of the material authorship of the crime, because until now the intellectual authors enjoy the same impunity enjoyed by those responsible for dozens of previous murders.

It is easy to conclude that if the murder of a nationally and internationally recognized journalist provoked the reaction of the same President of the Republic but the crime still goes unpunished, anyone who is thinking of killing a lesser-known journalist than Javier Valdez can reasonably think he or she will get away with it.

In fact, there were already some who thought about it: in 2017 six more journalists were killed after Javier Valdez and at least four so far in 2018.

That is why Roberto Campa's presence at Purón's funeral involves a challenge in itself: if the murder of a candidate that merited this level of attention is unpunished the fate of others is already cast.

The impunity in the homicide of Purón also carries another risk because it threatens to throw overboard the pacification that the State of Coahuila has had in the last years and in particular the northern zone of the state, in Piedras Negras, ie, where Purón was mayor from 2014 to 2017, a period in which state and federal operatives managed to dismantle the power of Los Zetas, who waged a reign of terror in the area during the previous decade .

Unlike previous municipal administrations that of Purón did not succumb to the control of Los Zetas. That had been one of the focal points of his speech and it is now one of the lines of investigation into his murder.

It was during the years that Purón was mayor when Piedras Negras managed to overcome the trauma of the massacres and disappearances that have been documented with horrifying detail by El Colegio de México, the government of Coahuila and the Executive Commission for Victim Assistance.

Piedras Negras has made such a remarkable recovery that in the latest surveys of urban security by the National Institute of Geography and Statistics, Piedras Negras appeared among the cities with a better perception of security, data that resulted from the mayoral work of the now dead candidate .

Just a week ago, Pablo Ferri published in this newspaper the chronicle of a trip through Coahuila that ended precisely in Piedras Negras. Noting the horror of recent years, the story also showed a semblance of quiet normalcy within political campaigns.

Two days after the text was published, the story completely changed to one that we already know all too well.

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
        Actually it does solve all the problems. We take direct control and rid the country of the cartel via military aviation, issue SS Numbers to everyone and then all of MEXICO is living the dream. 5 years of US investment whereby business owners can own a majority stake in biz in Mexico and the country would be a different place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        This possibly the most asinine thing I’ve ever read from you (& that’s saying something). 1st you may kill THIS iteration of the cartel, but one fact we have learned in the 40 years of war on drugs is there is ALWAYS another cucharacha ready to step up and fill the void and another sh1thole country to our south to hide him in. Secondly, giving the entire country SSN’s makes the rest of the Mexicans who are already too poor to pay a coyote to come to the US immediate wards of the state (& new dem voters).

Simply making them “Americans” won’t change the culture of millions of people overnight, the mentaility that has kept Mexico poor would surely be our burden. Hell the ones who get to America on their own don’t assimilate as it is, just making them Americans certainly isnt going to make them value it

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
          This possibly the most asinine thing I’ve ever read from you (& that’s saying something). 1st you may kill THIS iteration of the cartel, but one fact we have learned in the 40 years of war on drugs is there is ALWAYS another cucharacha ready to step up and fill the void and another sh1thole country to our south to hide him in. Secondly, giving the entire country SSN’s makes the rest of the Mexicans who are already too poor to pay a coyote to come to the US immediate wards of the state (& new dem voters).

Simply making them “Americans” won’t change the culture of millions of people overnight, the mentaility that has kept Mexico poor would surely be our burden. Hell the ones who get to America on their own don’t assimilate as it is, just making them Americans certainly isnt going to make them value it

That’s funny and I’m glad to see that you are following me. I know when I have a problem it’s always easier to deal with said problem when it’s direct vis a vi indirect where there is an intermediary which I have no control.
          You made my point so no need to argue That we won’t change the culture but we will change the fact that they pay taxes. We already get their “problems” so we may as well take advantage of that.
          The war on drugs is completely different than a country literally being controlled by a cartel that is assassinating their opposition. We annex and control the situation versus sitting back and watching hundreds of thousands of illegal Aliens cross our border with no upside. It’s really a simple equation.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post

Im not sure if any of the other changes would work but I am 100% positive that our military could wipe the cartels off of the face of the planet, forever, on that little narrow stretch of ground..
            We've never tried.. If we would have we wouldn't be dealing with this crap now....

To many hands in that cookie jar for that flow of money to ever stop..

Comment

Oh I get it... you think Mexico will generate enough tax revenue to support itself.

Comment

If all Americans could see into the future about 10-20 years, they would have no problem making a wall and a militarized border a #1 priority. This silent invasion is equivalent to the old frog in the boiling pot of water theory. Before everyone wakes up....too late.

Comment

After reading this, guess I'll cancel my vacation next week to Playa and this year's deer season. Sorry Farmdog

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                    If all Americans could see into the future about 10-20 years, they would have no problem making a wall and a militarized border a #1 priority. This silent invasion is equivalent to the old frog in the boiling pot of water theory. Before everyone wakes up....too late.
                    Yup...honestly, since we are playing this best wishful thinking scenario:

Simply give the Mexican people a US equivalent of our 2nd amendment, arm them with the same firepower that we, the people of the USA legally posses & I can promise they will take their nation back in no time.

I find the gun laws of Mexico sadly hysterical...I could acquire a grenade quicker SOTB than I could state side, yet the mex govt BY FAR fears the free patriotic people of Mexico having access to guns than they do narcos. You look at that country & the problems they have with the availability of hardcore weapons & the absurd / ridiculous restrictions posed to civilian firearm ownership. This tells you all you need to understand about gun control. Just makes you laugh to consider what is happening next door & still see fellow tbs'r suggests AR's should be outlawed in this nation.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                      Yep, will be too late when folks realize the enormity of the problem. I don't personally think a wall will solve the problem. I'm for enforcing the laws we already have. But there's dang sure a problem that will have huge impacts for generations

Comment

Mexico, the territory, has many resources and could easily support a prosperous country. The issue is the government has been controlled by extremely greedy and corrupt people for decades. what we should be more concerned about, is keeping our politicians on the up and up or this great country will suffer the same fate. Cartels and the drug wars will continue as long as there is an appetite for drugs which appears to be blossoming world wide just as it is here. If Mexico would rid itself of the cartels the only difference would be the location of said cartels.

The latest proposal from the idiots in DC is that the way to fix the illegal immigration problem is for the US to pursue the economic well being of countries which have mass migrations of people coming to the US. It's scary that both democrats and republicans seem to be touting this idea. It seems the democrats keep spewing that we must take in all these poor refugees that are running from their murderous governments. Yet they turn around and say let's fix the economies of said murderous countries and their people will no longer seek refuge in the US. How fast and at what price $ can we "fix" other countries?? What continent do we "fix" after we are done in Central and South America??

^^^Rhetorical questions ^^^

People need to get their heads out of the sand and pay attention to what the vestages in DC are doing!!

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                          Yup...honestly, since we are playing this best wishful thinking scenario:

Simply give the Mexican people a US equivalent of our 2nd amendment, arm them with the same firepower that we, the people of the USA legally posses & I can promise they will take their nation back in no time.

I find the gun laws of Mexico sadly hysterical...I could acquire a grenade quicker SOTB than I could state side, yet the mex govt BY FAR fears the free patriotic people of Mexico having access to guns than they do narcos. You look at that country & the problems they have with the availability of hardcore weapons & the absurd / ridiculous restrictions posed to civilian firearm ownership. This tells you all you need to understand about gun control. Just makes you laugh to consider what is happening next door & still see fellow tbs'r suggests AR's should be outlawed in this nation.
                          Worked for the avocado farmers:

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...w-drug-cartels

https://www.npr.org/sections/paralle...=1530177836047

Comment

The mexican people should take up arms and fight to take their country back.......oh wait!

Comment

I’ll say it again just annex MEXICO and make it the 51st state. Problem solved!

Actually it does solve all the problems. We take direct control and rid the country of the cartel via military aviation, issue SS Numbers to everyone and then all of MEXICO is living the dream. 5 years of US investment whereby business owners can own a majority stake in biz in Mexico and the country would be a different place.

Exactly, it would likely cost us less in the long run than building a wall

There is absolutely no way possible it would be cheaper than building a wall. That is just an outrageous statement.

The Cartels don't just roam around in caravans with the words "cartel" spray painted on them. They have a strong foothold in the communities, government and police forces. The attempt to wipe them out would be Afghanistan/Taliban 2.0, and would likely be more difficult and expensive.

Mexicans would instantly be living the dream... on your dime. Once they are Americans and are qualified by American standards, you would be adding about 100 million people to the welfare roll.

All you would be doing is pushing our border problem further south, and pushing the American dream closer to Central and South America would likely make it worst than it is now.

Not to mention all of the looming economic problems we would be inheriting. Even if it could be fixed, it wouldn't be cheap.

Then of course, all of the cultural issues that would simply make assimilation an impossible task.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
                                There is absolutely no way possible it would be cheaper than building a wall. That is just an outrageous statement.

The Cartels don't just roam around in caravans with the words "cartel" spray painted on them. They have a strong foothold in the communities, government and police forces. The attempt to wipe them out would be Afghanistan/Taliban 2.0, and would likely be more difficult and expensive.

Mexicans would instantly be living the dream... on your dime. Once they are Americans and are qualified by American standards, you would be adding about 100 million people to the welfare roll.

All you would be doing is pushing our border problem further south, and pushing the American dream closer to Central and South America would likely make it worst than it is now.

Not to mention all of the looming economic problems we would be inheriting. Even if it could be fixed, it wouldn't be cheap.

Then of course, all of the cultural issues that would simply make assimilation an impossible task.
                                This exactly! Mexico has a better GDP to debt ratio than us, (we are already spending more than we produce). By the time we drop the coin to ferret out the cartel and corruption we will largely eat up whatever spoils Mexico might provide. And oh yeah, let’s not forget that as soon as we annex, the left is going to want to extend all benefits of unemployment, social services, infrastructure Medicare/Medicaid etc... we will be upside down.

Regarding the cartels, you might push them out of Mexico, they will only regroup in El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras etc... we will have the same immigration problem, drug and human trafficking coming in from the rest of Central America and South America.

Net loss.

Comment

Working...
                                X