Stoicism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stoicism

Anyone read the writings of the Stoics? I’ve started reading Epictetus, Seneca, and Marcus Aurelius. Some strong and applicable wisdom in their writings. Many of societies most successful people apply stoic principles in their life

Yes. Good stuff. Pretty sure I have couple of actual books. Aristotle as well. Highly recommend.

Comment

Yes Sir
      Very good and worth while reading

Comment

I'm a fan. The hardest part is putting it into practice, but your anxiety levels will drop to near nothing when you follow it. There are several short podcasts, some of them daily, that really help to keep it fresh in your mind.

Comment

Originally posted by steven View Post
          I'm a fan. The hardest part is putting it into practice, but your anxiety levels will drop to near nothing when you follow it. There are several short podcasts, some of them daily, that really help to keep it fresh in your mind.
          Any podcasts in particular?

Comment

I Wikipedia’ed it but came out confused. What’s the sentence or two jist of stoicism?

Comment

I'll just stick to the one book I've been reading for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunteraudit View Post
                I Wikipedia’ed it but came out confused. What’s the sentence or two jist of stoicism?
                Grounding yourself emotionally and defining circumstances that you can and cannot control. Living every moment like it's your last. Essentially, becoming a better person in practice and daily application.

Comment

Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
                  Grounding yourself emotionally and defining circumstances that you can and cannot control. Living every moment like it's your last. Essentially, becoming a better person in practice and daily application.
                  I’d say that’s a good working definition.

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                  I'll just stick to the one book I've been reading for a while.
                  What book would you recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post

What book would you recommend?
                    I was reading Proverbs this morning.

Hoggslayer

Comment

https://youtu.be/9IHyzNHgEQY

Comment

I was reading Proverbs this morning.

Hoggslayer
                        I’ve been reading Proverbs with my son, a chapter each day. If you are implying the Stoicism is somehow in disagreement, I’d say you are wrong. It’s very much along the lines of “take every thought captive” 2 Cor 10:5

Comment

I’ve been reading Proverbs with my son, a chapter each day. If you are implying the Stoicism is somehow in disagreement, I’d say you are wrong. It’s very much along the lines of “take every thought captive” 2 Cor 10:5
                          Didn't say that. I just don't feel the need to look at other books to find wisdom. Just my opinion.

Hoggslayer

Comment

Didn't say that. I just don't feel the need to look at other books to find wisdom. Just my opinion.

Hoggslayer
                            Fair enough. I prefer to seek multiple streams of wisdom and use Biblical truth as the measuring stick in which to evaluate them

Comment

Any podcasts in particular?
                              The Practical Stoic Podcast
                              The Daily Stoic
                              Stoic Meditations

Comment

Working...
                              X