Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 San Angelo surrounding area season thread.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I understand

Comment

Little slow with this trip report.... Spent the previous weekend out west with a couple members filling feeders, brushing in natural turkey blinds and setting out cameras for turkey scouting. Was a great weekend weather wise....a little chilly in the am but warmed up quite nicely. The ranch is green in most places with a lot of green forbs on the ground. Deer were eating out pretty much everywhere looking like they were taking advantage of mother nature's bounty. We got misted on once so no junior.....Christoval did not get 2"...

Had to do some plumbing before we even got started with lease stuff. What a PITA. One of the ranch house's pipes supports under the house broke and popped the compression fitting. That was a couple hour ordeal for reasons too long to go in here.. Got that done....went on to filled feeders, set traps, checked water, and got back in time to have a few good drinks and some good eats. Caught 6 coons on the weekend. Numbers are dwindling but there are still enough to wreak havoc on some gear and timed protein in the future. Was disappointed in the number of caught coons this weekend, but we'll have all spring and summer to bring some more pain..

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7261.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	24572244

Did a feeder switch out this weekend in an attempt to stay on the ground when filling feeders going forward. I'm done climbing ladders and am working toward total replacement this offseason....except maybe my directional. Sold one of my trusty BigHorns to TheHammer and replaced it with a 600 lb Lamco Lo and Thro. Was wanting a 1,000 lber but got such a good deal on this 600 I couldn't pass it up. And when the smoke cleared, I really dug the height of it over having to go up to 5' with 50lbs sacks. I know I know its just one more foot but it sure is nice going from the tailgate directly across to the feeder.. I've spent the last umpteen years filling 600 lbs feeders and they served me well so with the money I saved and their height my next one will be a 600lber as well.....if I get rid of my Krivoman directional on a Bighorn.

So long BigHorn!

Name:	Big Horn gone.jpg
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	24572243

New Lamco

Name:	00 Slacker feeder3.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	24572242

Name:	00 Slacker feeder1.jpg
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	24572238

Name:	00 Slacker feeder2.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	24572239

Had some good eats Sat night .....LoCarb Trying to be good ..

Name:	AAAIMG_7276.jpg
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	24572240

I decided this year that I wanted to aim my upgrades to include my attractants during season this year instead of spending so much time concentrating on the offseason feedings alone. So next trip I will be dropping an ASF SNF timed protein feeder I bought....and maybe 2 if I can find another used one before turkey season. Excited about getting them started. I've seen, heard and read so many good things about them I figured WTH, I'll make the investment

Ended the weekend trimming some lease roads all over, cleaning some things up around camp, and brushing in some natural turkey bow blinds we like to have available if the birds are in that area come opening weekend. It was quite the productive weekend even with some of the usual "it's always something" repair jobs deer leases are famous for slowing us down. Next trip, 3/30 for 4 days hoping Tommy is looking for some girlfriends..

Name:	Spread 2.jpg
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	24572245

Name:	Decoys chute.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	24572246

Name:	IMG_1739.jpg
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	24572247

Name:	IMG_2172.jpg
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	24572248

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
        Serious ant bed shootout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This brought back so many childhood memories!! LOL

Comment

Hey fellas, I’m just wondering, when will the whitetail bucks drop their antlers in the San Angelo area?

Comment

Jason...with the x-rated thunder chicken **** pic

Comment

Originally posted by jeffpg View Post
              Hey fellas, I’m just wondering, when will the whitetail bucks drop their antlers in the San Angelo area?
              Most would be right now, or already have. We found a few at our place 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffpg View Post
                Most years for us they are dropping like flies around the first of March...A few in January and then some random bucks will drop in February.

This year things seem later. Only had a 2 or 3 bucks on camera last week that have dropped with every thing else still carrying.

Going out today, would assume more have started dropping. Bet in the next few weeks there could be a lot on the ground.

Comment

I just hope some bucks have returned to home ground before they drop. In early feb still had too many deer Mia from the previous summer before all the rain started.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                    I just hope some bucks have returned to home ground before they drop. In early feb still had too many deer Mia from the previous summer before all the rain started.

Same for ours. Not sure where they go.

Comment

Same...its like there is a mature buck vacation destination away from the Angelo area..

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        Same...its like there is a mature buck vacation destination away from the Angelo area..
                        That destination was not towards our grounds.........ha ha

We spent last weekend putting out feed and relocating a feed pen while dodging small rain showers. All our creeks were still running and range conditions looked very green.

Did not find any sheds and only had trail cam photos of a few that had already dropped.

Lots of gobblers hitting certain feeders, so April should be fun.

Rwc

Comment

We got a rain in Irion Co this morning not sure how much yet.

Comment

6/10” in Sterling

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                              Originally posted by Rwc View Post
                              That destination was not towards our grounds.........ha ha

We spent last weekend putting out feed and relocating a feed pen while dodging small rain showers. All our creeks were still running and range conditions looked very green.

Did not find any sheds and only had trail cam photos of a few that had already dropped.

Lots of gobblers hitting certain feeders, so April should be fun.

Rwc
                              This conversation has been the topic on our place for years. So many good bucks go MIA every year. Seen on a consistent and regular basis during the summer only to disappear altogether during season. Obviously changing food sources and the rut are the biggest factor. And yes, we see some new bucks on occasion that show up under that “replacement” theory.

I’m more concerned about the bucks that don’t seem to reappear the following year. Seems if they liked something about the area one year, and the groceries are still there...stands to reason they would like it the next?? A lot of our better bucks don’t seem to return. The darn dink bucks sure like to though

Comment

We got a rain in Irion Co this morning not sure how much yet.

rain forest....none in Christoval...

Comment

Working...
                                X