No announcement yet.

I need help with 2nd grade math

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My grandson got a bad grade on his math test. The way they teach it now I think I’d fail it too.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
      How did the two 10's get there?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
      20 by definition is 2 -10’s

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
        AC, that is completely stupid math manipulation. This is why kids have trouble with math, taking a one step problem and making it a 3 step.

First, make 20 into two values, 10 and 10. Then, subtract 9 from one of the 10s leaving 1. Now, add 1 to the other 10 and you get 11. Completely assine and schools should be embarrassed for this type of BS.

So in order for a 7 year old to learn simple subtraction. They have to learn how to divide the first number by 2 then start solving the problem? Who came up with this mess? I don’t even know how to help him because it seems so unnecessarily complicated to solve it the way the book shows.

What was wrong with the old school way?

What if it’s 21-9?

10.5 and 10.5?

Last edited by AntlerCollector; 09-14-2021, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
          How did the two 10's get there?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
          2 pairs of 5's, duh....

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

The process is called decomposing numbers. It’s a pretty common way to teach math

Comment

Funny thing is, I taught myself how to do common core math in the 80’s before it was the cool thing to do. Not much of an advantage on smaller numbers like above but it’s faster when working with larger numbers, at least for me it is. I struggled in math for a long time, then sometime in jr high I just started seeing and using the numbers in 10’s/100’s and found it much easier to work the problem in my head. When helping my kids with math as they were being taught common core the graphs and block pictures they used for examples just seemed to confuse things more than help.

What’s most irritating to me is most math problems my kid has now are word problems and the problem always seems to be worded to trick or deceive the student. Why can’t they just work math problems, they have an English class for reading comprehension?
              Last edited by Benno; 09-14-2021, 08:48 PM.

Comment

I’m sure glad that my children didn’t have to go through that crap. I’d of probably gone to jail for getting mighty ugly with the school over that mess.

Comment

Originally posted by jaspermac View Post
                  The process is called decomposing numbers. It’s a pretty common way to teach math
                  You're a school teacher, aren't you?

Comment

I say make the 20 a 15 + 5 otherwise it’s racist! Keep it diverse.

Comment

**** that!

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                        You're a school teacher, aren't you?
                        Not a chance!

Comment

I fail too looking at original post....NUTZ and I took all HS maths/alg/trig/calc and made Assssss

Comment

Dumbing down of society pretty sure it is working

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
                              2 pairs of 5's, duh....

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
                              I thought it was 9 and 11

Comment

I had to google everything when my granddaughter was in grade school. I use everything from addition and subtraction up to trig every day at work. I couldn't do grade school math.

Comment

Working...
                                X