No announcement yet.

Dried sausage question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have nothing valuable to add method related but dang I love good dried sausage.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Slocum View Post
      Yes. If it’s not smoked to temperature (cooked) it must have cure (sodium nitrate).
      I know a group of Bohemians that would say its not a must. And I'd put theirs against anybody.

Comment

Originally posted by SAC View Post
        I know a group of Bohemians that would say its not a must. And I'd put theirs against anybody.
        Dziuks in Castroville cooks it, and theirs is the best I’ve had. Excerpt from Texas Monthly. The process at Dziuk’s starts with racks full of sausage taking a two-hour hickory smoke bath inside an industrial smoker. The rack is then wheeled into a humidity-controlled drying room for four or five days. Then it goes back in the smokehouse for hot smoke to cook until the links reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees. This final step is rare for small-town meat markets that sell only to in-store customers, but shipping is a big part of Dziuk’s business, and the Texas Department of Health requires it. “A lot of people like their sausage naturally dried,” Fankel says, “but I have to prove that mine gets to a certain temperature for safety reasons.”

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. Gonna do it monday. Will let yall know.

Comment

I got 35 links in the dehydrator now. Gave it extra smoke in the smokehouse yesterday and gonna finish it in here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

**** bro, you got some cheese in that sausage!!

Comment

Originally posted by chehunt View Post
                **** bro, you got some cheese in that sausage!!

No cheese. That’s pork fat. We decided at the last minute to hold some back for dry sausage. Next time, we’ll do things different like grind with a finer plate and change the fat ratio for our dry. But this will turn out good enough I’m sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Slocum View Post
                  Yes. If it’s not smoked to temperature (cooked) it must have cure (sodium nitrate).
                  Wrong.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

It took 15 hours at 170° to get it where I want it. Even added wood pellets, just for a little extra smokey flavor. Turned out great!

I got some jalapeno cheese sausage being made now. Cant wait to try it.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Comment

Working...
                    X