Dried sausage question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dried sausage question

I had smoked sausage made from a deer and pig I shot (I also added pork so it wouldn't be too lean. Wild pigs ain't got the fat on em that store bought pork has) is it too late to make some dried sausage?

I was think about opening a few packs and puttin em in my electric smoker, with the temp set at 140°. Is that too low? Will the sausage spoil? How long should I leave in the smoker? 4 hours? 6 hours?

Whatcha think?

Did you put any cure in the mix. Dry sausage needs it.
    Last edited by Walker; 01-23-2020, 05:30 PM.

Comment

I've dried my processor smoked sausage plenty of times, and didn't add a thing to it.
      Wipe the casings down with olive oil so it doesn't dry out faster than the sausage inside.
      140 will work.....just keep an eye on it. I usually smoke/dry mine longer than 6 hrs, but I also flip the links over, and shuffle the trays in my electric smoker. Works like a charm!

Comment

I do it in our dehydrator all the time. I run them for 10 hours at 158*.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
          Did you put any cure in the mix. Dry sausage needs it.
          I didnt do anything to it. Just dropped the meat off at the processor and asked them to make sausage

Comment

Originally posted by bpa556 View Post

Should I do it warmer than 140?

Comment

Originally posted by bpa556 View Post

Never thought about putting it in the dehydrator. Thanks for the idea!
              I just bought a big 10 tray LEM. Will definitely try that. We’re making 200lbs of sausage this weekend.

Comment

Glad this came up.
                There was a place in Johnson City that would make dry sausage. Have not had any in years and have been searching for an answer as to how it was done. I have a smoker and dehydrator that runs about 160*. Going to give it a try

Comment

I process my own, but I’ll throw 12-15 links on my dehydrator. I set it at 160 and let her rip. I usually let it run for 14-16 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter View Post
                    Should I do it warmer than 140?
                    160 - 180 is what I use.

Comment

We always add cure to ours if we are going to dry it. We smoke about 3 hrs then shut the heat off and turn on the ac and let it hang in the smokehouse with plenty of circulating air until dry typically hangs 10-14 days to reach our desired dry texture. Time depends on lots of factors namely fat content in the sausage outside temp range and humidity. I like a drier(less fat) sausage if I am going to do dry rings typically 70/30

Comment

I have some in the dehydrator now to finish up. My dehydrator doesn’t have a temperature setting, just dry it til it feels right. If you have time you can put in a paper bag in the refrigerator drawer and it will dry out too. But the paper bag method takes a while.

Comment

Originally posted by HeyMikey View Post
                          160 - 180 is what I use.
                          yep

Comment

Originally posted by HeyMikey View Post
                            160 - 180 is what I use.

Dang, my dehydrator only goes up to 150°.
                            That’s what the dial shows anyway.

Comment

I have had the privilege to eat but never did it so as usual my comment is worthless.

Comment

Working...
                              X