snow skiing newbie...school me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
    have a buddy coming stateside and were going to meet in colorado 1st of march. hes a skier, ive never been.

what do yall do to get in shape for ski season. i was told squats and core and not worry as ill be on easy stuff. have 10 weeks to get in shape for it. i dont want to be so sore after the first day that i cant enjoy the rest.

any tips? im not the most graceful guy around but hes told me it really isnt that hard.
    Make sure your wallet is in tip top shape.

Comment

Take an alieve in the morning before you ski. Hot tub and a stiff drink at the end of the day. I always try to get a massage after day 3.

I can still ski like I did 20 years ago - just requires a little self medication and some stretching/massage.

Comment

I think your request was getting into skiing condition vs what lessons and slopes to stay on:

I live in Texas and hit the slopes a couple times every season. For the last 14 yrs I add this to my regular workouts for 7-8 weeks to prepare my legs and back for skiing and hiking the Colorado mountains. (It's what works for me)

Easy cardio warm-up
        5 min treadmill at 15% incline at 3mph (stair climber works too)
        100lbs squats for 3-4 min (reps aren't counted, it's the time)
        Alternate again w/o rest
        Usually go for 25 to 40 min total and then move on to rest of workout. It's takes some time and not very hard, but gets the lower back involved and fatigues the quadriceps.

I ski/board with crossfit friends and a Colorado local that is on the slopes all season. This works for me. The crossfit guys stop on the slopes more than any of us.

Comment

Reading these Texas country approaches helps me understand why residents of the Rockies laugh at "Texans". Many off the wall tips provided.

Comment

Newbies, beginners, & gawkers that say they don't get sore are simply well trained at falling...

not good at skiing or boarding.

For those that don't know better, beginners that don't take lessons also don't follow any of the ethics and it irritates the s#*t out of the rest on the slopes and lifts.

Comment

Buy a pair of thin “smartwool” brand ski socks.

This will go a long way towards making your ski boots warm and comfortable.

Happy feet ski better and crash less.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
                Reading these Texas country approaches helps me understand why residents of the Rockies laugh at "Texans". Many off the wall tips provided.
                Never say snow ski.

Don't show up in jeans or camo.

Lol.

Some Texans. Not all of us.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
                Last edited by Burntorange Bowhunter; 01-17-2020, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Nobody cares if you use snow ski.

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
                    Nobody cares if you use snow ski.
                    Who does?

Comment

It's very nerdy and backwoods.

You do you though.

Comment

Who does?
                        BoB thinks it is unacceptable. I have more important things to get upset over

Comment

What's all tis talk about snow? and who wants to play in it? Grew up in N.E. Texas and froze my *** of every winter and we only saw a little snow. Live in S.E Tx for the last 46 yrs. and only seen that white stuff twice. And it melted the first day. Y'all can have it!

Comment

I'd bet real Texans don't give a **** what they think.The last few times I was in Steamboat,everyone there was from Texas.That tells me if not for us,they wouldn't have a pot to **** in,or a window to throw it out of.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Skip snow plowing into slow down. Immediately learn to parallel stop. Once you can parallel stop, you can actually enjoy skiing. Good luck, its really pretty easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Hart8 View Post
                                I'd bet real Texans don't give a **** what they think.The last few times I was in Steamboat,everyone there was from Texas.That tells me if not for us,they wouldn't have a pot to **** in,or a window to throw it out of.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
                                That's just dumb. Just because you are from Texas or the south doesn't mean you can't be stylish and not be a nerd.

Comment

Working...
                                X