Any interest to buy or hunt a cow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hunting4fun View Post
    It wouldn't be the range that matters, what matters would be angle and height. Since you could obviously could get really close you would want to take the most ethical shot that saves the most amount of meat.
    Well of coarse
    we tried to shoot them where the cowboys could wire the heads to a tree to sell later

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
      If someone's willing to hunt one, I'm willing to video this escapade

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Lmfao I just got a new camcorder so I’ll second this!!

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by scotth89 View Post
        Slaughter cows going from .10-.70 most places right now.
        I sure haven’t seen any close to .10 a pound for a slaughter cow. Cheapest I have seen is .40 a pound

Comment

Originally posted by R6hunter View Post
          May be the unpopular one here but “hunting” a cow is pretty low standard and that’s not hunting 1 but.
          Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
          Ditto. This would not be hunting by any definition. I can understand the ranchers line of thought as he would easily make more than the he would at an auction. I had an old bull I was partial too, I kept him to long. He came up lame and laid up in the pasture for about a week, nothing worked to get him moving again. A cold front came is, freezing temps and he was in open pasture. I had to put him down, there was no pleasure or excitement in it. I guess its to each his own, on this deal.
          You can call it shooting or killing if you want. And the cattle rancher would not make more money. He may save a little time by not having to haul it to auction.

I know I see people looking to split a cow once in a while. Just figured I's ask and see if anyone was interested.

Comment

Ditto. This would not be hunting by any definition. I can understand the ranchers line of thought as he would easily make more than the he would at an auction. I had an old bull I was partial too, I kept him to long. He came up lame and laid up in the pasture for about a week, nothing worked to get him moving again. A cold front came is, freezing temps and he was in open pasture. I had to put him down, there was no pleasure or excitement in it. I guess its to each his own, on this deal.
            This wasn't supposed to be about hunting per se. It would be more about being involved with the process of ethically harvesting an animal. If you know what you are doing and want to work a little you can come out with beef cheaper than any grocery store.

Why would anyone go on a guaranteed doe "hunt" for the meat if they can go on a guaranteed cow "hunt" with WAY more meat per pound?

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
              If someone's willing to hunt one, I'm willing to video this escapade

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
              hahahahahahahah.

Comment

These cows will be tough without some knowledge. JMO!

Comment

Low fence

Click image for larger version

Name:	E49FC4B2-A049-4545-8511-F8EDE99E0721.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	24604237

Comment

I thought for sure this was another works a lot thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If it was my cows, I wouldn’t go for it. How will u know which one to shoot?

Comment

I would probably need to feed them first for a few years to feel ok about it

Comment

turf marker paint a huge X on it...or maybe say " this one" ??

Comment

Originally posted by R6hunter View Post
                            May be the unpopular one here but “hunting” a cow is pretty low standard and that’s not hunting 1 but.
                            Maybe for a tamed cow but see reply I quoted below

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                            I have hunted some wild cows and bulls down in el Indio Texas
                            They are wild cattle living in down in the river Cain next to the rio grande
                            Very hard to hunt, and rather sporty, they are infected with ticks and the bulls can do some damage to the tick fence to keep them down by the river
                            I know we couldn’t do anything but kill them and leave them
                            Don’t know how it would be shooting a range cow ?
                            I saw an article in a hunting magazine a long time ago about something similar. More like hunting a cape buffalo. Mean, charged the vehicles, etc

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
                              Had hell loading a yearling steer a couple years ago. Asked the processor if I could bring it to him dead and he said no. Not sure why you can bring in dead deer, but not dead cows. He charged me a $75 kill fee, even though I REALLY wanted to shoot that thing.
                              Originally posted by Skinny View Post
                              Pretty sure it’s the govt. They have inspectors on location on cattle kill days at my processor.
                              Yep. It’s a USDA thing. It’s why your processor says “wild game” either in their name or on paper work.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                                Hawaii

I have shot a cow, and I have to admit it’s one of the more satisfying things on earth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                X2

Comment

Working...
                                X