Fixing a cracked wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixing a cracked wheel

I have a Toyota that has aluminum wheels. Came from the dealer with them and remember seeing several of the same models on the lot with the same wheels. They are Enkei wheels. One of mine has a small crack, about 1/2 inch long, on the inside edge, the bead area. Small leak, leaks just enough to bring on the low pressure light about once per week. Enkei does not make them anymore and the only ones I can find is a whole set, used, on E-bay. Don't wanna pay the price for a set.
    Question is: I have seen an "aluminum brazing rod" Alumiloy I think it is called. Supposed to be applied with a propane torch. Does the green screen think that would be a viable sealing method for this wheel with such a small leak? Has anyone out there ever used this product/method? I think I would need to clean the crack before using this product, Would that be necessary and what should I use to clean it with? Another thought was JB weld but not sure how permanent that would be.
    Any help would be appreciated!
    Last edited by locolobo; 11-23-2019, 12:36 AM.

junk it.....……………...

Comment

There are shops which specialize in wheel repair. Check them out on the interweb, they can weld and polish the wheel back to where you can never tell it was cracked.

Comment

Check out Ebay. I had the same thing happen.

Comment

I had some aftermarket wheels with hairline cracks in them. Found a welding shop that Tigs aluminum. Easy fix for a quality welder. Just be sure to mark out the cracks while you have air in the tire, can be impossible to locate after the tire is off.

Comment

I went to a muffler shop and he welded up the crack I had in my wheel. I think he charged me $40 if I remember right

Comment

Find a wheel repair company. Body shops have broken wheels repaired all the time, not a big deal. If you can't find a good wheel company on your own, ask a local body shop where they get wheels repair.

Comment

Thanks for the info fellas. Didn't think of a body or muffler shop. Discount tire found the crack when I thought I had a leaky tire. They didn't offer to have it fixed, just wanted to sell me a new set.
                Last edited by locolobo; 11-24-2019, 02:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X