Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions on caliber and type for mean cattle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Worksalot View Post
    You haven’t worked one of the facilities where there is no way to put a boot in the fence to climb over. The spacing is too narrow to put the tow of boot in. That’s the same spot where the one guy was seriously hurt while sorting. He was too short to jump over like I sometimes do. You’ll get a serious wake up when working cattle out here sometimes.
    Might surprise you the conditions of the some of the pens I’ve worked cattle in. Last thing I would want is someone scared with a pistol in the pen with me. Might want to ask if there is an open spot on the squeeze chute. All the crazy crap posted on this site and this ranks right up there.

Comment

Send her to the sale barn or grind her in to hamburger.

Comment

44 special

Comment

If they have a history of hurting people already why aren’t they in a package labeled hamburger. Mean cattle go to the hands for steaks and burgers.

Comment

Whspd?

Comment

You need to sell them. We had a wild bunch we bought off a huge ranch in the panhandle after the bad droughts in the mid 2000's. Those cows almost killed me and my gramps a few times. After that, we started selling them off pretty quick. Once they're wild, there's no taming them. Especially if you have more than a few that act that way. Don't put yourself in a situation where you have to shoot one. If you're in the middle of a pen trying to work them with people around, the last thing you need to is start blasting rounds off.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
                Might surprise you the conditions of the some of the pens I’ve worked cattle in. Last thing I would want is someone scared with a pistol in the pen with me. Might want to ask if there is an open spot on the squeeze chute. All the crazy crap posted on this site and this ranks right up there.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
                  You need to sell them. We had a wild bunch we bought off a huge ranch in the panhandle after the bad droughts in the mid 2000's. Those cows almost killed me and my gramps a few times. After that, we started selling them off pretty quick. Once they're wild, there's no taming them. Especially if you have more than a few that act that way. Don't put yourself in a situation where you have to shoot one. If you're in the middle of a pen trying to work them with people around, the last thing you need to is start blasting rounds off.
                  one or two mean cows can turn a whole herd crazy.

Comment

Interesting...

Comment

Two of you rope them and choke them down, and by down I mean out. If they live do it again the next time they act crazy, either they will stop or you will kill them. No one will get shot on accident in the process.

Comment

If you know which ones are mean, shoot them in the pasture and load em up.

In a pen, nothing more than a .22 to the brain

In the pasture you have the 45-70 covered

Comment

Lots of things to consider if you are planing on shooting a cow while sorting or if sorting goes wrong. Safety of you, horses, other cattle, other cowboys, etc. Just sell them, even if its at loss. Can't put a price on someones life or safety while working. If they are truly wild enough to the point you have to kill them to carry on about sorting the rest, just get rid of the darned things. Don't go all Wild Bill and pack iron into the sorting pen. That is just dangerous man.

Comment

Please wear a gopro

Comment

Jesus. Gotta keep my head on a swivel watching for cows in the pens. Now I gotta worry about jethro blasting me with a hand cannon because a cow looked at him cross eyed. Work em horse back and if they won’t honor a horse, send em to town. That’s it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Buy a dart gun and some rompum. Last crazy bull I had got tranquilized. Didn’t need a pen to load him. He was real mellow after a few minutes.

Comment

Working...
                                X