New 6CM finished up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by one66stang View Post
    Have y'all abandoned the Carbon APR barrel idea?
    Since Robert’s rifle is wearing an APR CF barrel, the product is still likely in the infancy stage. To make sure the barrel will be competitive with the big names, lots of R&D is probably being done. This would mean multiple cartridges with a variety of twists. Several thousand rounds fired to see how the barrel holds up to accuracy and wear.

If APR only chambered and tested 15 barrels in 6.5CM, they wouldn’t get a true perspective on how these barrels perform. I’m guessing they’ll test multiple cartridges with multiple barrel lengths and twists to get a true bell curve. IMO, the most important thing is to document, document, document. That way APR can remedy any mistakes learned from the R&D stage. I would rather they wait and release a proven product than to rush and chamber inferior barrels

Comment

Must be nice!

Comment

7 lbs naked? I thought it would come under 7 with an 18” carbon fiber barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by hilltop101 View Post
          Component weight
          Action - 2 lbs 2 ozs
          Stock - 2 lbs 1 oz
          Bottom metal - 5 ozs
          18” CF barrel - 2 lbs 8 ozs

Rifle weight - 7 lbs +/- an ounce or two

Comment

I’m glad to see this one. You got my wheels spinning in my head after we talked at the shop on Thursday morning. Really anxious to hear your results on whitetails with this.

Comment

If you want additional testing I have a spare Deviant that I would like to put to work. I have a Manners T4a and bottom metal. I have a few .308 barrels for it but I have been bored with that round and willing to test something that would be either a 600 yard f-class contender or something for ELR limited.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                Since Robert’s rifle is wearing an APR CF barrel, the product is still likely in the infancy stage. To make sure the barrel will be competitive with the big names, lots of R&D is probably being done. This would mean multiple cartridges with a variety of twists. Several thousand rounds fired to see how the barrel holds up to accuracy and wear.

If APR only chambered and tested 15 barrels in 6.5CM, they wouldn’t get a true perspective on how these barrels perform. I’m guessing they’ll test multiple cartridges with multiple barrel lengths and twists to get a true bell curve. IMO, the most important thing is to document, document, document. That way APR can remedy any mistakes learned from the R&D stage. I would rather they wait and release a proven product than to rush and chamber inferior barrels

Blake - Couldn't have said it better

Comment

Originally posted by hilltop101 View Post
                  Couple of things going on here that leads to a heavier rig than might be expected. My length of pull is about 1/2" longer than "standard", so 3-4 oz weight penalty there. I used our G2 action instead of our hunter. It's a few ozs heavier because of the solid bridge, plus it uses a steel rail and bolt knob instead of AL. I probably would have been around 6.25ish with the other action and right at 6 lbs with the hunter and a standard length stock.

I really wasn't going for a ultra-light on this one, as I've kind of got to the point where I appreciate the stability an extra pound or two offers. A 7.5 - 8.5 lb rig all up seems to offer the best of everything for the way I hunt. I find 8 lbs and balanced on the front action screw is a pleasure to carry and pretty stable during the moment of truth. I'm still fascinated by the ultra lights and fly weights, but I just don't find myself building them for personal stuff anymore.

Comment

[emoji1786][emoji1786][emoji1786]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks great Robert, my 6mm creed. sure shoots good!

Comment

Sweet-looking gun. Man, I learn something new from every one of these threads.

Comment

If it shoots anything like my TBH special 6 creed it will be a hammer on deer and yotes and anything else that stands still long enough!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like bad medicine for the critters!

Comment

Here is a quick 3 shot group at 525 to check my elevation with the 108 match hornady factory load. Can't wait so start smacking critters with this thing this fall.

3 shots to the left is the group. Right at 2.75" didn't really take my time to group. Was more concerned with my dope and I'd say that's dead nuts on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

So, haven't been willing to put down the bow yet this year so this thing got put in the corner and mostly forgotten about until now. It was also one of the early test barrels and didn't really impress during the one trip I took it to the range for break in. I put it aside with the intention of working up a load for it later......which probably means WAY later. Haha. Fast forward to today, and I have an unexpected opportunity to take a very special young man hunting this weekend. This would be the perfect rig for him and the expected ranges will be pretty short anyway. Figured it would probably do what we needed it to do if I didn't let my OCD get in the way I'm not sure if the barrel finally settled in, or if the other guns in the safe gave it a stern talking to about the rules around here........ but the same factory ammo that struggled to go under 1.5" last time did this today! And I sure wasn't shooting my "A" game sandwiched between 2 ARs and dodging hot brass.

I'm actually excited about working up a load for it now! I was right on the fence about chambering up one of the newer gen test barrels in a Dasher and calling it a day. Now I kind of want to see how this thing plays out. Definitely showing some promise.

Comment

Working...
                                X