No announcement yet.

Rattling tips s.tx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Works best on the ground. Never used a grunt call in my life but that's not saying it doesnt work. I like to set up on the down wind side of a pipe line or opening. As most bucks will come in close enough to see then circle down wind of you. Make them come into the open. I like a using a 30-30 with open sigths.

Comment

I have rattled the past week or so and had no response yet. In the past when it is time I will know it and that hasn't happened yet. Our buck however are running does and i have seen several bucks with broken tines already.

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
        I was in Oklahoma the week before thanksgiving and it was crazy, the bucks wouldn’t really respond to rattling but it was like calling ducks with the grunt.
        I grunted up 7 bucks one morning, three came in together one time
        [https://vimeo.com/304494813]

Here is a nice 8 that I grunted up one evening out of the red river bottom
        He came up wind about 200 yds from the stand, stopped at about 80 yds and then made a complete circle around me, about a 50 yd radius before finally going to the feeder.

[https://vimeo.com/304495346]

I shot this one on a morning hunt, he was the 4th one that came in to the grunt, had a big 12 come in about 2 hrs later after another grunting sequence.

I grunted up a nice 9py, prob 135-140 early one evening hunt but he came in right under me and I never could get a shot off.
        Even after they would come in, look around and leave, you could call them back.
        Just one of those magical weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        Links aren't working for me, bud...but I have to say, that must have been an awesome trip

Comment

If rattling from the ground make sure you can see easily from your cover in a few directions. Someone said use 140-150" sheds...YES! And the heavier the better!

I prefer rattling from a tripod as I feel I'm not pinpointed as easily as when bucks come in and I'm stomping on the ground. I also feel the sound travels further since I'm closer to the top of the tree line.

Couple things that have worked well in drawing in mature bucks rather than youngsters:
          Rattle starting 9:30-10am on through the middle of the day when other hunters are at camp for lunch.
          If you're near a tree, rake the antlers against it as loud as you can prior to your rattling session.
          Don't be afraid to make as much noise as you can (grunting, stepping on bushes and stomping if you're on the ground, etc)
          I do long growl grunts from the grunt call while rattling
          The most success in rattling the largest number of mature bucks in has been after Christmas through the first week of Jan (post-rut phase). This is near Catarina/Big Wells area.
          Last edited by DimmitCo; 12-06-2018, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Check out Larry Weishund’s (Sp?) videos in S Tx. He rattles lightly and constantly, just tickling antlers together. I’d say it works for him.

Comment

There is no special secuence that you must follow while rattling in bucks brother.

But there are some days and some times more productive than others, unfortunatelly its a matter of luck.

Keep on mind that a buck can hear the rattling noise from several yardas away sometimes hundreds.

Its best to start your rattling softly just touching antler to antler tips kinda sparring bucks, this will not spook close deer, and then after a little if nothing appears start bangling hard those antlers and while slamming ém stomp the ground or near brushes, remember you are trying to immitate a fight and those fights some times are really aggressive and of course noisy.

After you bang the antlers for some time put ém appart and be ready for any incoming deer, they ussually come quietly, but if the diominant buck hears the noise he can come charging the sound source like mad as a bull

Hope this helps good luck!

Comment

Theirs alot of good information, thanks guys!!!

Comment

I save the tarsal glands from bucks and does...put them in ziploc bags and freeze them. They are a powerful attractant that arouses a deer's curiosity, and work VERY well when rattling. It gives the bucks a scent to focus on when the come in to rattling. Just open the ziploc and hang it downwind of your setup. Works good without the rattling too.

Comment

^ that's a good idea will have to try!!

Comment

Almost forgot...If you're rifle hunting with a scope, turn it down to 4x or 5x power. Sometimes they come in fast!!

Comment

Working...
                      X