Rattling tips s.tx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rattling tips s.tx

Ok guys just did a soft rattling sequence for 45 secs before I got inside the blind, how often should I rattle and is this the time to start here in south texas!! Any info would be helpful

Any day now. If they are going hot you cant hardly do it wrong. Im sure you can find an actual fight on utube or as omewhere else on the web. Find one and listen.

Comment

in... Spending a week at the ranch come Christmas. Bow hunting my tripods morning/evenings and sitting in rifle blinds all day. Counting down the days... First time doing any significant hunting during the full blown rut down there.

Comment

If you don't have visible deer, do it every 30 minutes or so. Who knows what will have moved within earshot of you in that time. They will always come in from downwind. And if you can see real estate, you can watch them circling. Good luck.

Comment

Keep the info coming, like to here your successes and what you did

Comment

I would alternate rattling and grunting
            Sometimes they respond much better to just the grunt. If they think another buck is on a hot doe they will come running

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

10-4

Comment

Even when they are hot rattling for the TX deer I have found rattle softly and just for a second or two then break a stick or rack the ground then a little rattle .. Finish up with a grunt .

I called a buck that I have passed on several times now from 600 yards away , Not seen on come in directly always more so on a hook with wind intheir face

Comment

When the NFR starts the rut in S Texas is really getting would up. Get on the ground and rattle. After 30-45 minutes walk and move about 100-200 yds and repeat. Never had much success rattling at a feeder. My ex family has a ranch in Zavala Cnty near Batesville. I would have somebody drop me off somewhere toward back of the ranch or 2-3 miles away around 9-10 in the morning and work my way back to head quarters or where ever they left me a truck. Rattled in some monsters but most were off limits to me and many times I didn’t have a gun except for a pistol. Also south Texas rattle with minimum 140-150 inch sheds.

Comment

I was in Oklahoma the week before thanksgiving and it was crazy, the bucks wouldn’t really respond to rattling but it was like calling ducks with the grunt.
                    I grunted up 7 bucks one morning, three came in together one time
                    [https://vimeo.com/304494813]

Here is a nice 8 that I grunted up one evening out of the red river bottom
                    He came up wind about 200 yds from the stand, stopped at about 80 yds and then made a complete circle around me, about a 50 yd radius before finally going to the feeder.

[https://vimeo.com/304495346]

I shot this one on a morning hunt, he was the 4th one that came in to the grunt, had a big 12 come in about 2 hrs later after another grunting sequence.

I grunted up a nice 9py, prob 135-140 early one evening hunt but he came in right under me and I never could get a shot off.
                    Even after they would come in, look around and leave, you could call them back.
                    Just one of those magical weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Had some luck this year already. I suggest the biggest horns you can find.
                      Also use a grunt tube. I also try to make as much fight noise as possible by hitting horns on the ground and breaking brush. But as said above, when it’s right time you can’t do it wrong. But be ready , stuff happens fast.

Comment

This week two years ago, I saw the craziest buck fight I could imagine. Two big bucks, one a heavy ten and the other I don't know, tried to kill each other for about 10 minutes. They snapped mesquite trees as big around as your wrist. I heard two snort wheezes, and then they threw down. As soon as they did, 6-8 smaller bucks and a couple of does came running in. This was all less than 25 yards from me in an 8' tripod. No shot. As others have said, when it's on, I think it's hard to make too much noise.

Comment

This is what works for me. I either wear snake chaps or at least high boots. If no deer in sight I start walking thru brush, cactus and kicking up rocks all while rattling my horns. I generally walk about 25 yards out and then retreat back to my hiding place and wait. This usually will bring in anything that is interested.

Comment

Thanks fellas all good info, I'll put it to use

Comment

If you are hunting from the ground, try stomping your feet as you rattle the horns. Two bucks fighting will make a lot of noise. Blow your grunt tube between rattling.

Comment

Working...
                              X