Garmin and Burris sights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garmin and Burris sights

Looking at the new Garmin and Burris bow sights. These are potentially real game changers if they work as intended. They are costly, but it appears they eliminate any need for a separate range finder. And they both position the pin automatically for the ranged target/animal. I know there has already been a thread on the Garmin sight on here. The Burris sight appears to mount a separate peep, so no peep is needed in the string. The higher end of the two models of Garmin provides a choice of pin colors, and a point of impact finder. And both models of the Garmin have manual pins that also be set up in the sight. The Burris has a single pin that can be set up in case of battery failure. Does anyone have either of these sights? Like to see reviews from actual owners!

Or opinions on these sights. Except opinions that they aren't "primitive" enough...lol

Comment

I have no experience with either. However, my pro shop did say the Garmins have a little more setup steps required vs. a typical sight - specifically sighting in for each yard of point of impact for a certain distance range.

I do have concerns about the lens becoming dirty / wet and the battery dying.

One solution to the battery issue may be to put a ring sticker on the lens for the twenty yard mark, but I’m not sure how to address the water issue other than to just deal with it.

I may investigate these type of sights once the bugs (if any) are worked out.

I do suspect we are headed towards all sights incorporating the same features into them in the near future.

Comment

My question would be....
        So a deer is walking through the brush at let us say 30 yards.
        What keeps the sight from reading the brush between you and the deer?
        I know with my range finder I will sometimes try to range something 3 or 4 times before I get it right.

Comment

Originally posted by softpoint View Post
          The Burris has a single pin that can be set up in case of battery failure. Does anyone have either of these sights? Like to see reviews from actual owners!
          Originally posted by Outlaw_6 View Post

One solution to the battery issue may be to put a ring sticker on the lens for the twenty yard mark, but I’m not sure how to address the water issue other than to just deal with it.

I have the Garmin. I love the sight but for the price I durn sure better love it!

Once I use it through deer season I will have a better idea. They advertise the fact that if the battery does die in the field that enough power remains and it displays your fixed pins just like a conventional sight.

Originally posted by Buff View Post
          My question would be....
          So a deer is walking through the brush at let us say 30 yards.
          What keeps the sight from reading the brush between you and the deer?
          I know with my range finder I will sometimes try to range something 3 or 4 times before I get it right.

Buff, I think the same would be true with this sight as with the rangefinder....after all it is a range finder built into the sight. Easy to do just push the button on the front of the riser and it will give you another range....or when in doubt touch the button a 2nd time after you range something and your fixed pins will display and you are back to old school using your old school range estimation. Plus it is easy to do even while a full draw.

Comment

Originally posted by Double L View Post

Buff, I think the same would be true with this sight as with the rangefinder....after all it is a range finder built into the sight. Easy to do just push the button on the front of the riser and it will give you another range....or when in doubt touch the button a 2nd time after you range something and your fixed pins will display and you are back to old school using your old school range estimation. Plus it is easy to do even while a full draw.
            Thanks for the info

I am getting old. I started using a compound a couple of years ago only to discover that I have a really hard time seeing a pin.
            They fixed me up with a classifier in my peep sight.
            I wonder if I will be able to see the electric dot better?

I guess I need to find a shop that has one and give it a try

Comment

I can see where this type of sight will revolutionize the hunting sight market. The fact that they have a lens shouldn't be any more of an issue than scopes on a rifle. The next thing they should do is bring the price down...

Comment

I have a garmin as well. Mainly backyard shooting and have taken it into the field a few times but really digging it.

I did not like that the Burris always had a 20 yard pin lit. So if you ranged a target at 25 yeards, there would be a 20 yards and a 25 yard one lit. Kind of defeats the purpose of a single pin to have 2 so close glowing together.

Comment

Interested as well in the Garmin and glad to read the personal experiences from users.

Comment

I too have the Garmin A7I I love it. It took me a while to set it up in the beginning, but once set it is dead nuts on. It will force you to become a better archer if your form is not always at its best. I like the fact that there is nothing blocking any of your field of view, no pins to clutter up your field of view, the only thing you see is the target and your point of aim.

Comment

Originally posted by Problem Child View Post
                      I too have the Garmin A7I I love it. It took me a while to set it up in the beginning, but once set it is dead nuts on. It will force you to become a better archer if your form is not always at its best. I like the fact that there is nothing blocking any of your field of view, no pins to clutter up your field of view, the only thing you see is the target and your point of aim.
                      Heaths only thing I needed to relearn was not centering the green dot in the peep.

With a single slider, I liked that the pin is always dead center.

Comment

I just don't see myself spending that much on a bow sight. Another big reason I won't be getting one is because it is not legal in a lot of states I am looking into hunting in.

Comment

Originally posted by RShockley View Post
                          I just don't see myself spending that much on a bow sight. Another big reason I won't be getting one is because it is not legal in a lot of states I am looking into hunting in.
                          Why would this sight be illegal in some states? It does not project any beam and it works basically like a range finder and as far as i now those are legal pretty much everywhere.

I just received my Garmin A1 this past Friday. It was mounted on a bow and shot at an indoor range and then taken off. It was expensive, but not nearly the cost of a new one. $650 was the reason I bought it. Will probably wait until after the season to get it on my bow and sighted in.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                            Why would this sight be illegal in some states? It does not project any beam and it works basically like a range finder and as far as i now those are legal pretty much everywhere.

I just received my Garmin A1 this past Friday. It was mounted on a bow and shot at an indoor range and then taken off. It was expensive, but not nearly the cost of a new one. $650 was the reason I bought it. Will probably wait until after the season to get it on my bow and sighted in.
                            Do a little research, there are states that do not allow the scope technology that takes range, wind, temp etc into account and then "adjust" so you put the dot/crosshairs on something and pull the trigger.
                            These bow sights are very similar so I am not surprised that they are not legal in some places.

I wonder how many idiots will buy one and have no business shooting past 20yds, but because they have a fancy sight will take shots at 50 (or further) because the sight will give them a "pin" that they just need to hold on the critter and let fly?

Comment

Only 3 states I see that would not be legal to use these type sights (and I would probably hunt one and have hunted there) are Colorado and North and South Dakota. Might be more in the future.

Lots of people have no business shooting past 20 yards no matter what sight they have. I have the React 1 that can be sighted in at 20 and 30 and is good to 100 so they could definitely use that.

Comment

Working...
                              X