The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
    Nice! Are they hitting the ponds primarily in the evenings or just randomly? I actually have a campsite location picked out with quite a few ponds in the area and a nice creek running into it.
    They were gorging themselves on Chokecherries so if you can find an area that has them near water you are golden. Never did see any in the early morning....it was always late morning and afternoon/evening.

Had a couple of sows with twins swim in the little pond I was at. Had to run them off cause thay started coming out of the pond at me at like 8 yds. No bueno.

Comment

Awesome, great info guy thank you. OH and lol yeah 8 yards to cubs NO THANKS!

Comment

Originally posted by txmuleyman View Post
        Yes sir. It’s the number one thing on my list to get ready. Average 5-6 miles a day running. Weights 3 days a week, weighted pack HIIT sprints 3 days a week. Try to work in a weighted pack hike at least once a week. I’ll start doing pack runs/hikes most days during August. Glad you are doing some fitness. I see guys every year fail because of their conditioning.
        We must be following the same program... 5 miles a day, weights everyday and one day a week 3 mile 50lb weighted vest run. The mountains are much more enjoyable when your in great shape. Also I'm the youngest of our hunting group so everyone is looking to me to pack out the most!!

Comment

Lots of great info on here.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_Archery View Post
            We must be following the same program... 5 miles a day, weights everyday and one day a week 3 mile 50lb weighted vest run. The mountains are much more enjoyable when your in great shape. Also I'm the youngest of our hunting group so everyone is looking to me to pack out the most!!
            I’m the oldest in our group by 10 years, but they live in the Montana mountains. At such a huge disadvantage I feel I should put out my best to make sure I’m not the one slowing us down. But no matter what I’ll always out drink them in town at night.

Comment

Going to try OTC south Colorado elk hunt this year again. Looking at unit 80. Are Colorado OTC elk tags unit specific?

Comment

Originally posted by Paycheck View Post
                Going to try OTC south Colorado elk hunt this year again. Looking at unit 80. Are Colorado OTC elk tags unit specific?

No, just make sure that you look into the 2020 Regs about that unit. They switched a bunch of the OTC units in the sw part of the state to draw this year. Your otc tag is good for any otc unit in the state

Comment

Originally posted by Punkin View Post
                  Does anyone have a recommendation for a good lightweight tripod to use for glassing in the back country? Headed to Colorado in September and working on gathering up all the gear I need.

I pack a tripod for mule deer, but don’t for elk. Unless you are hunting for a trophy, I’d save the money and weight. Resting your binos on a short trekking pole while seated should get you stable enough to spot elk farther away than you can hike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                    No, just make sure that you look into the 2020 Regs about that unit. They switched a bunch of the OTC units in the sw part of the state to draw this year. Your otc tag is good for any otc unit in the state
                    Thanks, got a buddy that has a cabin in 78, but that's one they switched.

Comment

Finally got a chance to go scout further from camp today. Found a prime spot with tons of sign. Saw a cinnamon bear, and a bull still in full velvet. Nothing like a close encounter to get ya pumped for season. Another blonde bear driving back to camp. Got my cams set can't wait for mid september!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TradAg02 View Post
                        I pack a tripod for mule deer, but don’t for elk. Unless you are hunting for a trophy, I’d save the money and weight. Resting your binos on a short trekking pole while seated should get you stable enough to spot elk farther away than you can hike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                        Why for mule deer but not for Elk? Are you spending less time behind the bino's for Elk than for mule deer? I have a cow tag so I'm not at all worried about trophy or antlers. Additionally, this is my first time so my expectations of success are slim to none. Main focus for this trip is gear and testing it out so I'm better prepared for next year and locating animals. I'll really be happy just to find them and practice stalking.

Comment

Save some weight and just have some trekking poles or a walking stick to rest them on.
                          Most of your elk glassing will be seated, rest your elbows on knees for solid rest.
                          Mule deer are also more open country animals , elk more so in timber but not always.
                          Elk racks are also very easy to spot from a distance, mulies need some closer looks to know what they are carrying on their heads.

Comment

Has anybody else been impressed with goHUNT's new mapping app? I'm a big fan.

Comment

Why for mule deer but not for Elk? Are you spending less time behind the bino's for Elk than for mule deer? I have a cow tag so I'm not at all worried about trophy or antlers. Additionally, this is my first time so my expectations of success are slim to none. Main focus for this trip is gear and testing it out so I'm better prepared for next year and locating animals. I'll really be happy just to find them and practice stalking.
                              Yes less time for elk than deer. Elk stick out big time and it's pretty easy to see them in meadows and hillsides from far away. If you're cow hunting in September and you see a group of elk, there's probably a target in there for you, so no need to spend the time to pick the group apart with the glass on a tripod.

A caveat I would add is that if you're going to do any kind of filming, whether it be with a Phone Skope or a traditional camera, a tripod would be a necessity for quality video.

Comment

You can call in elk, and they tend to stick to thicker timber, by second week of Sept if you see cows they will have a bull there some where.

My range finder is 7x... about all I need for archery elk

Comment

Working...
                                X