Safest Lock-On for a fat guy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safest Lock-On for a fat guy?

I am 5-10" and 265 lbs. What lock ons would you recommend that you consider safe for big guys? (side note, in 2012 I was hanging an older lock-on 22' in a big pine tree and while standing out on the edge of the stand and applying downward pressure to make the teeth bite into the bark, the cables, unbeknownst to me, were rusted into and broke on me. So to say I'm very leery of platforms supported by cables is an understatement.) Was looking hard at the Family Traditions Lock ons.

Woodsey tree stand is extremely secure. It has a lag screw on top and bottom of the stand then has a chain in the middle that goes around the tree then tightened with a turn buckle. I've always felt comfortable in this stand.

Comment

Originally posted by T-roy66 View Post
      Woodsey tree stand is extremely secure. It has a lag screw on top and bottom of the stand then has a chain in the middle that goes around the tree then tightened with a turn buckle. I've always felt comfortable in this stand.

Comment

Lol why risk it? That’s like putting an anvil on an ikea shelf

Comment

I know your asking about a hang on, I have a climber for sale that’s big boy I rated. Summit titan. Pm me if interested.

Comment

Ground blind

Comment

Millennium M150

Comment

None if you are as clumsy and old as I am. I’m tripod, ladder, or ground blind bound.

Comment

That not fat just husky. I thought you were going to say 350[emoji2957]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ll hunt a hang on if I have to but don’t love it. Always feel like I’m about to plunge to the ground. I would get a nice ladder!

Comment

Could get you a super squeeze and a set of spikes? Lol. I’m 5-11 and 235. That’s the 80 foot pole at school today. I would worry more about your safety harness and your strap attaching your hang on than the actual hang on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                        Could get you a super squeeze and a set of spikes? Lol. I’m 5-11 and 235. That’s the 80 foot pole at school today. I would worry more about your safety harness and your strap attaching your hang on than the actual hang on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        I am considering the Tethrd Mantis Saddle now that you mentioned that. Never used one before but after watching all their videos, their product does seem like it would be safer to me.

Comment

Originally posted by corps2010 View Post
                          I am considering the Tethrd Mantis Saddle now that you mentioned that. Never used one before but after watching all their videos, their product does seem like it would be safer to me.
                          I will be honest.. I will probably kill an animal wearing this lineman belt at some point just for fun.. I am torn on the saddle situation.. there is zero doubt.. Your not falling with a saddle.. however there are times where there are just too many limbs in the way..

My opinion, which I would bet is semi backed up by data.. .. >50% of accidents from a stand happen getting in and out. So have your system dialed where when your getting in and out your fully attached. That can be a saddle, lock on climber, tripod..

Comment

I’d go with a ladder stand. Piece of mind is worth a lot! You’ll never fully trust the cables on the platform again on a hanging stand IMO

Comment

I just ordered a saddle to hunt out of for this season. If you're looking at saddles, take a look at the Cruzr XC, tethrd phantom, and the aerohunter kestrel flex. I ordered the Cruzr XC and it looks like it will be a hammock up in the tree. Can't wait to get it!

Comment

Working...
                              X