No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought points in AZ for me and my oldest who just turned 10 a couple weeks ago. I sure wish someone had been buying points for me back in the day. Lucky sucker!

Comment

Originally posted by TWarren View Post
      Make sure you keep up with the new regulations. Many of those SW OTC archery units will no longer be OTC next fall.
      Driving us nuts as I type...

Curious why the restrictions on archery and not gun?

Looking for the 2020 book to come out so we can settle dates, probably going mule deer and bear after this fall

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
        ‘Tis the draw season!

I’m in on AZ elk and antelope. Will apply for Wyoming Elk/Deer/Antelope and may try to draw a hunt or two there next year with the changes in NonRes opportunities. Will do points in Colorado for elk/bear/pronghorn and going to try and draw a deer tag. Points for Montana deer/elk/antelope/archery antelope. Will apply for points again in Utah for Elk/Deer/Antelope/Both Sheep/Goat.

I really hope WY doesn’t pass those new regulations. Seems like most are against it. I picked WY as my state to build points in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
          Driving us nuts as I type...

Curious why the restrictions on archery and not gun?

Looking for the 2020 book to come out so we can settle dates, probably going mule deer and bear after this fall
          I don't know the reasoning of restricting one over the other. Perhaps the thought is many elk are on private by the rifle seasons?

Comment

^^^this would be my guess too. Also there are starting to be just as many bow/muzzle loader hunters as rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
              I really hope WY doesn’t pass those new regulations. Seems like most are against it. I picked WY as my state to build points in.

Bill didn’t pass

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post

It failed but had me sweating. Maxed out for elk and deer points, that bill was going to ruffle some feathers for sure. Wyoga was against it and nothing gets done up there without them on board.

Comment

Originally posted by Mossback View Post
                  It failed but had me sweating. Maxed out for elk and deer points, that bill was going to ruffle some feathers for sure. Wyoga was against it and nothing gets done up there without them on board.

Thanks for the update. Good news!

Comment

For you Texans who don’t think about elk in February. Around the corner from our rental in Bozeman, the herd ‘chillin’’ in the field. 6+ months to elk season!

Comment

You're keeling me, Bill!

Comment

I can sit there and “mew” cow call them and watch the confused looks on their faces.

Comment

For those that do the DIY hunts, do you bring a topo map for the unit you're hunting?

If so, where do you get them and what scale?

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                            For those that do the DIY hunts, do you bring a topo map for the unit you're hunting?

OnX Maps. It has topo layers, satellite imagery, landowner info, public land info (BLM vs State Land Trust) etc. All of that info can be downloaded directly to your phone and is available when you don't have service and are saving your battery via Airplane mode.

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post

OnX phone, chip gps in truck

Used OnX since their release 10 years ago and never an isssue
                              Last edited by Texans42; 02-20-2020, 08:54 AM.

Comment

The USGS and BLM both sell topo maps. I would get at least one of them for your area. Many times OnX can be wrong, the land status maps from BLM are what many state agencies use for legal maps to represent their lands.
                                Batteries can fail get a paper map.
                                Many places in the mountain states sell them, up here you can buy BLM maps, that show land status for all lands not just BLM , and topography at sporting goods stores or BLM offices.
                                The BLM map will show old roads and trails too.
                                Look online at BLM and USGS.
                                We use OnX and mostly our paper land status maps when looking into a newer area to hunt. You get a much broader look at the land on a paper map.

Comment

Working...
                                X