The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
    Two questions...my original was two elk hunters, ( a seasoned elk Hunter, and myself a rookie) has most likely now dwindled to just me solo now. So what would be the biggest advice from the moment i step foot on the trail head? I’ve got a plan, and a proposed campsite, and projected paths I’ll take the following days. However i will have never seen this place outside of onx or google earth. Do i just take off to my planned camp or do i bugle along the way, break off here and there to find sign, etc?

2) I’ve been blessed to hunt whitetail hard for 25+ years, and i know there is plenty of unwritten rules in the woods between hunters. I hunt mainly private lands in the whitetail world, but was curious what are some unwritten rules that i should be considerate of to keep friction down should i encounter someone?

Thanks Corey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Personally I would Try every thing You Can to Find another Partner. But, Only Take someone That Can Physically Do the Same as you or it will be a Major Set Back. As Far As Planned Camp Sights and Hunting Goes its good to Do your research ahead of Time But, Deep Down you Will End Up where You Find Fresh elk Sign or there is No point in Being There. Water IS the Key to Mark as far as Way Points More Than what we all think is the Perfect Camp Sight on a Map is. With Elk you Just Have to Keep a Open Mind and Grind it Out Every Day. Almost all of My Trips I never ended up Hunting the area where I had Planned too. With Out pre scouting It will Just Be a Crap Shoot Till You Find them Our Learn what to Not do Next Yr. Drought, Pressure, or Timing Changes what Area Might Work for Some But, Not for Others. Regardless that's all the Fun. If it was easy Everyone Would end up at the Same Spot

Comment

Originally posted by Mex. Bowhunter View Post
      Personally I would Try every thing You Can to Find another Partner. But, Only Take someone That Can Physically Do the Same as you or it will be a Major Set Back. As Far As Planned Camp Sights and Hunting Goes its good to Do your research ahead of Time But, Deep Down you Will End Up where You Find Fresh elk Sign or there is No point in Being There. Water IS the Key to Mark as far as Way Points More Than what we all think is the Perfect Camp Sight on a Map is. With Elk you Just Have to Keep a Open Mind and Grind it Out Every Day. Almost all of My Trips I never ended up Hunting the area where I had Planned too. With Out pre scouting It will Just Be a Crap Shoot Till You Find them Our Learn what to Not do Next Yr. Drought, Pressure, or Timing Changes what Area Might Work for Some But, Not for Others. Regardless that's all the Fun. If it was easy Everyone Would end up at the Same Spot

Thanks bo I’ll be scratching to find someone, my buddy may make it but it’s looking more like a no than a yes. So I’m just going to plan accordingly i surely don’t want to drag someone along that’s only going to hinder me. If i can’t find someone I guess I’ll be investing in some sort of gps/text system. I’ve also kicked around a SAR AN MEDVAC plan for peace of mind.

Comment

I am truly blessed today. This is my second time elk hunting in Colorado. I have learned a lot and the hard work payed off. Not a big one, but a public land elk is a trophy in my book.
        Attached Files

Comment

Congrats.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 03GruntUSMC View Post
            I am truly blessed today. This is my second time elk hunting in Colorado. I have learned a lot and the hard work payed off. Not a big one, but a public land elk is a trophy in my book.
            Heck Yeah. Congrats to You Sir

Comment

Great work! Hard earned bull and lots of top notch table fare!

Comment

Congrats!!! Any public land elk is indeed a trophy, and you got a bull at that!

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                  Personally I would try to find another friend or hunting buddy to go with you, regardless of their experience. It's obvious you're already putting in the effort in regards to preparation, another set of hands/eyes/ears and positive attitude will surely help. I think you certainly need a plan A-F.

2) We have yet to run into another hunter in the woods but have seen some at trailheads and have been surprised and pleased at the amount of info others would share. Certainly talk to anybody you get a chance, even the local guy who you see sitting on his trailer porch on the county road or the lady at the liquor store- info can be had everywhere. Talk to the other hunter and see if y'all can make an agreement on where each of you is hunting, IE you hit these two drainages and he the other two.

-Somebody who is still dreaming of their first elk

Sound advice thank ya sir!

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
                    Sound advice thank ya sir!

Personally bowhunting is not a real team sport for me. I will go alone any day of the week because more than one is more scent, more noise, more mistakes made.
                    Checking your wind constantly is going to be your best friend. Nothing like spending 6 hours trying to get close enough for a shot amongst lots of eyes and noses and ears to get winded and blow the whole deal.
                    When you are alone you are focused and in the zone, I love hunting with my brother (best hunter I will ever know) but still we break apart and meet up later.

Comment

Finished my Montana elk season. No shots, passed on a 4x4 at 180 yards waiting for the 2, 6x6 bedded behind him to come out. Crosshairs on the chest but held the shot.

Second one I saw hunting solo 100 yards above me in pines. I could not see from front legs forward. Had crosshairs on chest laying prone on bipod for seemed minutes, but could pull not seeing the whole elk. He turned up and away- massive elk- no shot. Still trying to decide if I was ethical or a fool- I hope the former.

Walked upstairs to take a shower and start washing my gear to put away, and here’s the elk herd across the street on private, no hunting property.

Ya gotta laugh!

Comment

I know everyone is pretty much done thinking about elk for the year but I havent even gotten started yet. I have a late season archery 6 point bull hunt coming up this week. It should be super fun with all the bulls Ive been seeing but it may be tough to get an arrow in one. A friend is coming from TX to hunt with me. Ill put up some pictures as we go.

Heres just a couple of the legal bulls Ive found so far.

Click image for larger version

Name:	53F24D35-25AF-4FE8-8B2C-5C60F50B32F0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	24601320

Click image for larger version

Name:	F6489BB1-ECC7-452C-83B4-72235AFB88B2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	24601321

Comment

Originally posted by Felix40 View Post
                          I know everyone is pretty much done thinking about elk for the year but I havent even gotten started yet. I have a late season archery 6 point bull hunt coming up this week. It should be super fun with all the bulls Ive been seeing but it may be tough to get an arrow in one. A friend is coming from TX to hunt with me. Ill put up some pictures as we go.

[ATTACH]984087[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]984088[/ATTACH]
                          Confused by your post, does it have to be a 6 point or is this your personal criteria? Either way, good luck on your hunt.

Comment

6 points only

Comment

Originally posted by Felix40 View Post

You hunting there in your home town? Love that place.

Comment

My back yard yesterday. The buggers must know the season’s over and they wanted to bug me.

Comment

Working...
                                X