• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tom View Post
    [ATTACH]975249[/ATTACH]
    That’s a stud! Congratulations!

Comment

Got my bull tag in my pocket. Hunting unit 74 in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesl View Post
        That’s a stud! Congratulations!
        thanks man....I am happy with him and he is a good archery bull for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by 03GruntUSMC View Post
          Got my bull tag in my pocket. Hunting unit 74 in the morning.

Awesome good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

elk hunting was tough this year

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
              Question for all you dads out there my sons 8, and as I’m starting this process I’ve learned the lifelong journey to draw in some of these limited entry 20+ pt areas. So it dawned on me while I’m entering in these to build up points i thought maybe each year i enter i enter my son as well. Then start a savings for him $5-10wk for if he ever hits have a fund account to afford an outfitter etc... anyone done something similar? Maybe get lucky and both hit before I’m to old [emoji1374]

When your son turns 10, you should start buying him points for AZ. You need a hunting license to apply and its only $5 for non resident youth compared to $160 for non resident adult. By the time he’s 18, he will have around 9 points and could draw a good unit.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidH44 View Post
                When your son turns 10, you should start buying him points for AZ. You need a hunting license to apply and its only $5 for non resident youth compared to $160 for non resident adult. By the time he’s 18, he will have around 9 points and could draw a good unit.

This was my thought maybe enter as a party and go for his graduation gift or something along those lines.

Comment

Saw a bull and two cows this morning, couldn’t get a shot. Found a lot of elk sign that I’m gonna sit on tomorrow. Have till Friday evening.

Comment

Originally posted by 03GruntUSMC View Post
                    Saw a bull and two cows this morning, couldn’t get a shot. Found a lot of elk sign that I’m gonna sit on tomorrow. Have till Friday evening.
                    Good Luck.

Comment

Two questions...my original was two elk hunters, ( a seasoned elk Hunter, and myself a rookie) has most likely now dwindled to just me solo now. So what would be the biggest advice from the moment i step foot on the trail head? I’ve got a plan, and a proposed campsite, and projected paths I’ll take the following days. However i will have never seen this place outside of onx or google earth. Do i just take off to my planned camp or do i bugle along the way, break off here and there to find sign, etc?

2) I’ve been blessed to hunt whitetail hard for 25+ years, and i know there is plenty of unwritten rules in the woods between hunters. I hunt mainly private lands in the whitetail world, but was curious what are some unwritten rules that i should be considerate of to keep friction down should i encounter someone?

Thanks Corey

Comment

Personally I would try to find another friend or hunting buddy to go with you, regardless of their experience. It's obvious you're already putting in the effort in regards to preparation, another set of hands/eyes/ears and positive attitude will surely help. I think you certainly need a plan A-F.

2) We have yet to run into another hunter in the woods but have seen some at trailheads and have been surprised and pleased at the amount of info others would share. Certainly talk to anybody you get a chance, even the local guy who you see sitting on his trailer porch on the county road or the lady at the liquor store- info can be had everywhere. Talk to the other hunter and see if y'all can make an agreement on where each of you is hunting, IE you hit these two drainages and he the other two.

-Somebody who is still dreaming of their first elk

Comment

I've been on two western elk hunts, but here in Texas I've had as much or more elk action than out of state.. Almost sealed the deal two weekends ago...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-VA71KWBkE&t="]BUGLE BATTLE l Elk Hunting in Texas 2019 - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
                            Two questions...my original was two elk hunters, ( a seasoned elk Hunter, and myself a rookie) has most likely now dwindled to just me solo now. So what would be the biggest advice from the moment i step foot on the trail head? I’ve got a plan, and a proposed campsite, and projected paths I’ll take the following days. However i will have never seen this place outside of onx or google earth. Do i just take off to my planned camp or do i bugle along the way, break off here and there to find sign, etc?

2) I’ve been blessed to hunt whitetail hard for 25+ years, and i know there is plenty of unwritten rules in the woods between hunters. I hunt mainly private lands in the whitetail world, but was curious what are some unwritten rules that i should be considerate of to keep friction down should i encounter someone?

Thanks Corey

I wouldn't worry about other people. I mean if you actively see or hear someone going after a particular bull or group of elk, give them their space. Likely it won't be a problem if you are far enough off the beaten path. If you are in area with lots of hunters......likely there won't be any elk anyways! I have never hunted public land for elk but I have a bunch of buddies who do it every year and they have never had a real problem. Everyone knows what you get when hunting public land. You can't get too mad when people are out doing the exact same thing you are. In the end it is all for fun. Be safe and have a way to contact someone if you get in a tight spot!
                            Last edited by TildenHunter; 10-22-2019, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
                              I wouldn't worry about other people. I mean if you actively see or hear someone going after a particular bull or group of elk, give them their space. Likely it won't be a problem if you are far enough off the beaten path. If you are in area with lots of hunters......likely there won't be any elk anyways! I have never hunted public land for elk but I have a bunch of buddies who do it every year and they have never had a real problem. Everyone knows what you get when hunting public land. You can't get too mad when people are out doing the exact same thing you are. In the end it is all for fun. Be safe and have a way to contact someone if you get in a tight spot!
                              It may not happen often, but I shot and hit bull. The bull turned to take a step and another hunter shot him too! I had heard a 4 wheeler stop above me and then drive off. I thought the other guy had left but he just set up about 50 yards away. We were both looking down into the same bowl. Anyway, the other hunter came running down to me claiming that the bull was his. I just laughed it off and told him to go get it.
                              I killed another bull the next morning out of the same hole.

Comment

Originally posted by db@100 View Post
                                It may not happen often, but I shot and hit bull. The bull turned to take a step and another hunter shot him too! I had heard a 4 wheeler stop above me and then drive off. I thought the other guy had left but he just set up about 50 yards away. We were both looking down into the same bowl. Anyway, the other hunter came running down to me claiming that the bull was his. I just laughed it off and told him to go get it.
                                I killed another bull the next morning out of the same hole.
                                That is crazy. That has to be 1 in a million. I mean think how hard it is to get a shot off at a bull with a bow and to have 2 people unaware of one another both within bow range and both actually take shots and connect on a bull within seconds of one another is crazy. Did you hit him well? Was your second bull bigger then the first?

I mean you typically hunt for a week and if you are lucky you get 1 maybe 2 opportunities that yield a shot.

Comment

Working...
                                X