Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ANYONE still trying to grow Huge NATIVE Low Fence Whitetails???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimmitCo View Post
    Hunted 7000+ acres of prime south TX low fence country for the last 12 years. Shot some giants, passed on more, and culled out over 100x more than the trophies we took. Some years we never even harvested a trophy. An incredible historical ranch with solid genetics that popped the occasional low 170s and several 160s, but for some reason could never get over that hump to the 180s+ even though there were some of those running around nearby ranches. Not sure if this is a common experience among others, but it was always a point of frustration and friction when we would pass a younger/middle aged 150-170, only to have him go downhill the next year or never be seen again. But then again if we saw them all the time, we might not have appreciated the ones we saw/harvested as much...

Sounds like an awesome place! I believe at times that happens to us all, let good deer walk to never be seen again. Were you guys feeding?

Comment

Been a good thread.Anytime you can do any kind of comparative between LF /HF even if implied and not have it degrade into a shin kicking contest it can be informative.

I may be wandering off the reservation here from your original intent Shane but I find it an interesting question to explore exactly what is the difference between HF and LF? Take all the emotion and judgement out of it and really explore the differences. Taking any genetic manipulation out of the conversation...infusion, dmp, ttt etc what can be done on a high fenced property that can't be done on a low fenced property?

Looking at some of the posts here as well as my own experience the Holy Grail of low fence is scale, whether specific size of the pasture or of the overall management unit. Aint it sweet to be next to a 100,000 acre ranch that doesn't hunt? Or have a 100,000 acre pasture of you own! The problem most face however is the fact that bucks move a lot and frequently much farther than the boundaries of the ranch irrespective of management practices and this puts them in danger of whatever bordering property practices are. We all know that problem!

So to simplify. The only difference I find between LF and HF is that HF creates the " opportunity" to allow bucks to age irrespective of pasture size. Beyond that there is nothing I can do on a HF property that I can't do on a LF property. For LF to effectively replicate what HF does scale is required to assure an adequate number of bucks reach full maturity.
      Last edited by elgato; 10-25-2018, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
        Been a good thread.Anytime you can do any kind of comparative between LF /HF even if implied and not have it degrade into a shin kicking contest it can be informative.

I may be wandering off the reservation here from your original intent Shane but I find it an interesting question to explore exactly what is the difference between HF and LF? Take all the emotion and judgement out of it and really explore the differences. Taking any genetic manipulation out of the conversation...infusion, dmp, ttt etc what can be done on a high fenced property that can't be done on a low fenced property?

Looking at some of the posts here as well as my own experience the Holy Grail of low fence is scale, whether specific size of the pasture or of the overall management unit. Aint it sweet to be next to a 100,000 acre ranch that doesn't hunt? Or have a 100,000 acre pasture of you own! The problem most face however is the fact that bucks move a lot and frequently much farther than the boundaries of the ranch irrespective of management practices and this puts them in danger of whatever bordering property practices are. We all know that problem!

So to simplify. The only difference I find between LF and HF is that HF creates the " opportunity" to allow bucks to age irrespective of pasture size. Beyond that there is nothing I can do on a HF property that I can't do on a LF property. For LF to effectively replicate what HF does scale is required to assure an adequate number of bucks reach full maturity.
        Agreed with all the above... you know me Rusty and I've hunted both high and low fence and thoroughly enjoyed myself under both aspects.
        My intentions were never to bash HF hunting, If that's someone's preference then have it. Enjoy what you do no matter what it is... my only intention was to connect with others who were upon the same path I'm traveling (management wise), and it worked quit effectively.
        I've enjoyed talking to many on here who I share so much in common with, and to be able to pick the brains of so many who have been successful at raising absolute giants under LF has been fascinating to say the least...
        I'm also pleasantly surprised this thread didn't turn into a HF/ LF debate.... thank you for your thoughts amigo...

Comment

Started feeding protein our second year on the place in 2006. Never did cottonseed but had plenty of feed stations around our place

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post

Great post, but I also don't think the advantage of being able to let deer walk can be understated.

Comment

Guess I missed this thread until now. I'll try to read through all the posts so I can get caught up.

I am fortunate to be able to hunt both high and low fence places. Our lease is low fence, hill country. It's relatively small but with good neighbors overall. Our target age on trophy bucks is 7/8. Been on it for 15 years, and we kill some pretty dang good hill country deer. I can't think of any bucks that scored over 150" that were younger than 7. And yes, we cull and feed.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                Guess I missed this thread until now. I'll try to read through all the posts so I can get caught up.

I am fortunate to be able to hunt both high and low fence places. Our lease is low fence, hill country. It's relatively small but with good neighbors overall. Our target age on trophy bucks is 7/8. Been on it for 15 years, and we kill some pretty dang good hill country deer. I can't think of any bucks that scored over 150" that were younger than 7. And yes, we cull and feed.
                Very impressive you're getting Hill Country deer to that age, especially on small acreage!

Comment

I posted way back on page one but decided to post again. I doubt these deer would be considered huge but any means but for a small hill country lease I think we have done well enough to satisfy me. Once my youngest is through college maybe I can afford a bigger place with more potential but for now I am content to chase these type of deer around. We have been on this lease I think 7 years. This is not everything that has been shot but they are what I have pictures of. They are basically in chronological order.

This is old bugeye. He was at least 7 1/2. It was our second year on the place. He has been better the year before. 19inches inside 10 point.

6 1/2 year old 9 point.

My middle daughter's best buck. He was either 4 1/2 or 5 1/2 not sure.

5 1/2 year old 8 point.

The next 2 are of a deer we watched for several years but he never really changed much after 3 1/2. Just added a little more mass.

A buck that my daughter took last year. He was real old and had lost most of his teeth.

A few of the deer that we are chasing this year.

None of these deer will score as much as a cull in most HF places but like I said they are good enough to satisfy me. Y'all wish me luck on getting the deal closed this year.

-john

Comment

Great looking bucks John, good luck

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                      Great looking bucks John, good luck
                      Thanks. Good luck to you also.

-john

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
                        I posted way back on page one but decided to post again. I doubt these deer would be considered huge but any means but for a small hill country lease I think we have done well enough to satisfy me. Once my youngest is through college maybe I can afford a bigger place with more potential but for now I am content to chase these type of deer around. We have been on this lease I think 7 years. This is not everything that has been shot but they are what I have pictures of. They are basically in chronological order.

This is old bugeye. He was at least 7 1/2. It was our second year on the place. He has been better the year before. 19inches inside 10 point.

6 1/2 year old 9 point.

My middle daughter's best buck. He was either 4 1/2 or 5 1/2 not sure.

5 1/2 year old 8 point.

The next 2 are of a deer we watched for several years but he never really changed much after 3 1/2. Just added a little more mass.

A buck that my daughter took last year. He was real old and had lost most of his teeth.

A few of the deer that we are chasing this year.

None of these deer will score as much as a cull in most HF places but like I said they are good enough to satisfy me. Y'all wish me luck on getting the deal closed this year.

-john
                        Nothing wrong with those deer!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DimmitCo View Post
                          Hunted 7000+ acres of prime south TX low fence country for the last 12 years. Shot some giants, passed on more, and culled out over 100x more than the trophies we took. Some years we never even harvested a trophy. An incredible historical ranch with solid genetics that popped the occasional low 170s and several 160s, but for some reason could never get over that hump to the 180s+ even though there were some of those running around nearby ranches. Not sure if this is a common experience among others, but it was always a point of frustration and friction when we would pass a younger/middle aged 150-170, only to have him go downhill the next year or never be seen again. But then again if we saw them all the time, we might not have appreciated the ones we saw/harvested as much...
                          Y'all back on this year?

Comment

No, we decided not to renew. Don't know if they found lease members this year or not. Hunting our family's place near Big Wells this year

Comment

Yep. Lots. No fence. No pens. No feed. Happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                                Yep. Lots. No fence. No pens. No feed. Happening.
                                Good deal! Let em get old, the most important equation to huge whitetails in my opinion

Comment

Working...
                                X