Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let’s be honest. Why do you really hunt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s looking like we all share a lot in common.

Comment

Neanderthalic/Cro-Magnon genetics. Every fall I get the urge to hunt and kill the Woolly Mammoth and pack him in a snow bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Because I can, because I want to, and because I like eating the animals that I kill and process for myself.

Comment

To be honest it’s comradery of friends and family or wanting to Riley to get one. About the only time I hunt now is when Bucks are responding to rattling. Haven’t sat in a stand but maybe 3 times in so many yrs. I prefer beef over venison anyways

Comment

There were a few years were I was just hunting some small acreage close to home that I sort of lost the fire for it. Then came the year I was able to get on the lease that I cut my teeth hunting on and since then it’s back to being a way a life.

Being outdoors, the scenery, watching the various animals. All of that.
            Back at camp it’s the stories, the camp fire, the camaraderie. Cooking and spending time with friends/family.

Makes me forget about the day to day hustle and bustle and especially work.

Comment

Nothing beats sitting in the stand as dawn breaks, hearing the world wake up around you, listening to creation start to move about

Second is sitting as day fades, watching the sun go down, feeling the air getting cooler, hearing the insects fire up, and listening as the frogs and coyotes start to sing their songs

Third would be fresh meat for the table. Nothing tops backstrap, rice and gravy, and biscuits for me...closely followed by smoked sausage made from fresh venison and pork

And doing it all with family is the peak of perfection...it resets my mind and brings a fresh awareness of the awesomeness of God

Comment

The solitude and watching the woods come to life with the beginning of the day

I bird hunt simply to watch and share time with my dog

I turkey hunt because I’m obsessed with it

Processing what I kill and making summer sausage and brats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by asu-indian View Post
                  There are hunters and there are gatherers. I am a hunter. Which one are you?
                  They are actually one in the same. It is not Hunter or a gather, it is the hunter/gatherer culture. It is the ability to hunt and find food on your own.

People that only and can only eat after going to the meat and/or vegetable section at H-E-B, are not hunter/gatherers.

End of the history lesson, back to the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by HeyMikey View Post
                    Because I can, because I want to, and because I like eating the animals that I kill and process for myself.
                    Couldn’t said it better myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                      Because I can’t NOT HUNT ! I love the chase and I love the meat. The kill is just something I have to do to get the meat so I don’t complicate it. No 700 yard shots for me, don’t need any bragging rights. Headgear is less important than it ever was. At 74 years old, I can sit all day with a little break around noon if conditions are right.
                      I( could have written this verbatim.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                        Because I can’t NOT HUNT ! I love the chase and I love the meat. The kill is just something I have to do to get the meat so I don’t complicate it. No 700 yard shots for me, don’t need any bragging rights. Headgear is less important than it ever was. At 74 years old, I can sit all day with a little break around noon if conditions are right.
                        Exactly the same here. The meat is most important. Messed up my arm so I just gun hunt now, and nothing over 150 yards.

Comment

While it’s not quite as important as breathing is to me it’s the next closest thing. It’s a part of me, just something I have to do.

Maybe it’s some kind of primal urge but I feel a need to kill what I eat, grow my food. Preserve my food for the winter. I like being self sufficient.
                          Last edited by Geezy Rider; 09-26-2021, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Love eating wild game & trying new game species

Love learning how to cook wild game that tastes great

Archery Elk hunting - enough said

Friends and camp fire cooking

Enjoying everything Mother Nature offers and the great outdoors

Comment

Nowadays, it's mainly to just sit and daydream; about past hunts with passed hunting partners and romanticize about huge bucks with fire coming from their nostrils in chase of a doe.

Comment

Simple, I like killing things, otherwise I'd use a camera.

Comment

Working...
                                X