Weevils in Capsule Feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weevils in Capsule Feeder

My dad has a capsule feeder. Keeps getting weevils in the corn, hence weevil "dust" gets in the corn and sits in the bottom of the feeder, clogging up the auger and wont allow it to throw corn as well as it should. It still throws, but not as much as it should. He keeps having to clean it out. Hes 87 and its becoming quite a chore for him. Without the suggestion of him getting a gravity feeder, is there anything anyone that has one of these has done to help with this problem?

We did and put ours on top of 12”x12” blocks elevating off the ground... seemed to help a lot just watch out for the snakes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Buy corn from somewhere else

Comment

Its Mummies corn. Its good clean corn. Real clean til it starts sitting in the feeder.

Comment

Originally posted by spotsanddots View Post
          Its Mummies corn. Its good clean corn. Real clean til it starts sitting in the feeder.
          It’s sitting in the feeders to long ? We never get weevil in the corn
          I played around with the times until I figured out the spin time to empty every 30 days, use mummies corn as well

Comment

your emptying 5001b of corn in 30 days??? ive got a 20 yr old 500 lb capsule
            seems not matter what corn i try the 3 hot humid months will tend to clog it a little!

Comment

A friend of mine has one. From what I understand, he has to clean out the bottom of the feeder from the leftover dust/corn with a shop vac. Think he does that once a year or so.

Comment

Mist the inside of the feeder with malathon in a pump up hand sprayer, then the top of the corn as you put the lid on and you shouldn't have weevil problems anymore....

The deer wont be bothered by the smell of malathon, least mine aren't.

Comment

Selling it and buying a stand & fill is the right answer.....I know you didn't want to hear that......but thats the only solution. Everyone I know who had them had the same issues and hated them while they owned them. ymmv

Comment

Originally posted by okiepighunter View Post
                    your emptying 5001b of corn in 30 days??? ive got a 20 yr old 500 lb capsule
                    seems not matter what corn i try the 3 hot humid months will tend to clog it a little!
                    No I forgot capsules held 500 -800 lbs , our gravity fed are smaller than that . But even our 600lbs stand and fill don’t get weevil dust in 60days,
                    Maybe Tape a bug strip on the lids ?
                    looking at pictures capsule feeders look poorly engineered with a auger gear to lift the corn ? My feed wagon has a worm drive and I cuss it like the devil
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 09-13-2021, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Those feeders suck!!!

Same issue with one on a place I hog hunt

Comment

Try mixing diatomaceous earth with your corn. Kills weevils by piercing and drying out the exoskeletons. It's like microscopic razorblades. No smell, and if the deer do eat it it's probably beneficial for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
                          Try mixing diatomaceous earth with your corn. Kills weevils by piercing and drying out the exoskeletons. It's like microscopic razorblades. No smell, and if the deer do eat it it's probably beneficial for them.
                          Food grade DE , I think regular DE is different???
                          Whether you are a hobby farmer, a rancher or own a cow or two, DE can provide you and your stock some great benefits. Mixing Fine grade DE i

Comment

Throw in dump and get a good feeder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The only good capsule feeder is a dead capsule feeder.

Comment

Working...
                              X