No announcement yet.

Is throw-and-grow seed a waste?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had mixed results with it. I have a 36' + diameter feeder pen. I usually weedeat everything in it then rake it all out. I'll use the rake to break up the ground and throw seeds. I put a lot of seeds. Then I usually have 5 gal of water that I'll water a little in the pen. I try to do this when its 85ish with no 90s in the 10 day forecast. If it gets some rain shortly after, it usually has a nice green feeder pen of rye grass. I may try something else next year.

Anything that can be planted that cattle won't mow it down? The field im next to the rancher irrigates so I could plant there but his cattle will be in as well

Comment

So, will oats come up now in the hill country or is it way too late?

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
        So, will oats come up now in the hill country or is it way too late?
        It will come up, but it may take 2-3 weeks, then couple more to actually have a good stand

Comment

This plot was waist high weeds back in July. I mowed it with my rotary cutter in early August. I sprayed around August 20th. I then broke up the thatch with my box blade and broadcast turnips, radish, oats and cereal rye. First picture is September 1st. I have 6 other plots similar to this one. The deer browsed on the cereal grains in October and November. They are now browsing down the brassicas and digging up the turnips and radishes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X