143 eldx 6.5 not pleased

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deep n the heat View Post
    These are the factory black box Hornady. I believe the box says they are around 2950fps.

Check out the Hornady interlock bullets. They are outstanding and produce great blood trails. Wish I still had the pic from a doe I shot at 325 yards. Pass through and exit was the size of a softball but that was a 308. 6.5 shouldn’t be that much different.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

I used to shoot the Hornady custom 139 gr interlock. I think they are equivalent to the American hunter today, but not sure. Every deer I shot with that bullet was within 10' of where he was when the bullet hit. At least 2" exit wounds in all, lots larger if it hit a rib going in. That was in 7mm mag. Box said 3150 fps, didn't go that fast in my gun, more like 3025 fps. I couldn't get a 139gr bullet that fast with any powder in that rifle, but it would shoot lights out.

Still a fan of the interlock bullet.

Comment

That’s 6.5 prc numbers and should fat smoke them.

Shot 110 eldx out of a 257 weatherby (factory ammo at 3250fps). Nothing took a step, one hog did a 180 when hit and dropped.

Originally posted by deep n the heat View Post
        These are the factory black box Hornady. I believe the box says they are around 2950fps.

Comment

I'm trying 140 gr soft point. Federal nontypical this year. I'll post results.

Comment

Been shooting the 143 ELDX out of my 260ai since they came out. Haven’t had any issues with them with big internal damage on distances from 75yrds-250yrds. Hydrostatic shock is massive with these bullets, none of the animals I have taken have made it far.

I used to shoot the SST out of my 308 and 7mm rem mag. What I learned (esp with the 7mm mag) was the bullet fragments quickly at close distances, rarely exits, and often has jacket separation leaving everything under the offside hide. Lack of a blood trail was common if the animal wasn’t DRT, but Nothing ever made it more than 40yrds. If anything did exit it was only the core, making it look like the bullet didn’t expand.

The ELDX is essentially the same as the SST with a different tip. Knowing it’s limitations, I was confident in high shoulder shots and neck shots for DRT performance. Behind the shoulder shots are only reserved for longer shots, and all have left good blood trails. Internal damage has always been massive in my experience.

If you consider the bullet expands down to 1600 FPS, I highly doubt you’re experiencing failure to expand at close distances; these were designed as long range bullets. I think what is happening with the closer range shots is your bullet is fragmenting very quickly causing either a lack of exit or just the core is exiting making it look like a small exit. When the bullet stays together at 150-250+yrd shots you should easily have golf ball sized exits, sometimes a bit bigger.

If you’re wanting something with an exit every time and possibly a little longer track, stick with common cup and core bullets like others have mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BigJimmyRustler View Post
              At 60 yards with a 24-26" barrel the ELD-X is moving too fast still. I know they state they'll expand at close ranges but that's just too close to get the bullet to open up like we want on Texas whitetails.

The 6.5 at its base is an efficient & hot load when compared to a lot of other common rounds (.308, 30-06) and taking point blank range shots on soft game its just zipping right through them or it's hitting hard areas (ie. shoulders) and not holding together and fragmenting all to hell. Hence why others that are shooting heavier/thicker game are seeing better trails & results.

If you back the shots up even 50-100 yards I'd be willing the bet your trails would be better. If you only plan on taking shots that short a soft point ammo is just the ticket as others have stated as being pinpoint accurate isn't that necessary at those ranges.

Theres not one load/bullet type thats perfect for every scenario. Some excel in some areas and ranges much more than others and you have to decide whats most important and select based upon those parameters.
              Side Note: I'm still trying to get my step-dad to understand this and he's killed about 4,000 deer in his life lol.

The 6.5cm is not at all a 'hot load' especially when compared to the .308 or 30/06--- most of the factory ammo out there shares a similar muzzle velocity around 2600-2700fps or the .30s are running a little bit hotter loaded down with lighter bullets.

BC doesn't really come into play until you are a few hundred yards down range.

I would agree that with the heavier construction of the ELDX it would likely not expand the way you want if you don't hit something heavier like the hide of a hog or deer ribs/shoulder.

BUT- at 60 yards they aren't going fast enough to fragment all to hell. They're actually going to be at about the perfect velocity for terminal performance they just might be a tag too tough for deer down here.

Which is why some many guys are saying step down to the ELDM/Amax or even just go to an old cup and core bullet because either of those will do what you want for expansion and terminal performance on thin skinned game... AND the CM won't run them anywhere near hot enough to fragment or blow up on the skin.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                I understand, but that’s why we don’t use target bullets for hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ELDX is not a target bullet.

Comment

Game king.

Comment

I’m 100% comfortable whacking any and all animals with these bullets, as such, for anyone doesn’t feel the same. I will gladly take them.

Comment

My limited experience with eldx has been mixed. While they are very accurate, their on game performance has been mixed for me. I will be able to test them out more thoroughly when I return to Africa on a cull hunt next year.

Comment

Originally posted by duckhunter175 View Post
                        The 6.5cm is not at all a 'hot load' especially when compared to the .308 or 30/06--- most of the factory ammo out there shares a similar muzzle velocity around 2600-2700fps or the .30s are running a little bit hotter loaded down with lighter bullets.

BC doesn't really come into play until you are a few hundred yards down range.

I would agree that with the heavier construction of the ELDX it would likely not expand the way you want if you don't hit something heavier like the hide of a hog or deer ribs/shoulder.

BUT- at 60 yards they aren't going fast enough to fragment all to hell. They're actually going to be at about the perfect velocity for terminal performance they just might be a tag too tough for deer down here.

Which is why some many guys are saying step down to the ELDM/Amax or even just go to an old cup and core bullet because either of those will do what you want for expansion and terminal performance on thin skinned game... AND the CM won't run them anywhere near hot enough to fragment or blow up on the skin.
                        6.5CM is a hotter load as it relates to throat erosion and barrel life when compared to 308. Velocities are close, yes, but you're pushing it through a smaller bore. Obviously this is one of the reasons it's more efficient.

Look around a little, folks are definitely experiencing bullet integrity issues on some of these short shots. I believe Hornady has even said that the bullets may not expand properly at very short ranges.
                        OP isn't happy with the performance and without looking at the carcasses and/or recovering the bullets its pretty hard to know exactly what happened.
                        He also said he was shooting 200-225 pound deer which are actually some pretty good sized deer. I personally love the ELD-x and will continue to use it.
                        Last edited by BigJimmyRustler; 10-25-2019, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Also happy with the 143 and can add a friend who has a gun shop sells a crap ton of them and the American whitetail to the point that's 2 of the 3 loads he carries.

Average size east texas doe at about 70 yards

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

6.5CM is a hotter load as it relates to throat erosion and barrel life when compared to 308. Velocities are close, yes, but you're pushing it through a smaller bore. Obviously this is one of the reasons it's more efficient.

Look around a little, folks are definitely experiencing bullet integrity issues on some of these short shots. I believe Hornady has even said that the bullets may not expand properly at very short ranges.

Calling it a “hotter load” is a bit of a misnomer but the explanation of heat created in the throat due to a smaller bore and the same amount of powder as a 308 hit the nail on the head. This is a good article about it. . .

I’m gonna try to find an article I saw from Hornady about bullet speed and performance in relation to these newer projectiles but basically it outlined a speed window to get the best performance out of the different projectiles. Extremely close shots were not part of that window for some of the projectiles.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

The bullet I have been most impressed with the last few years is the federal premium trophy copper. With a high shoulder shot placement, that bullet has been outstanding. Might give that a try if the eldx is not working for you.
                              R

Comment

OP isn't happy with the performance and without looking at the carcasses and/or recovering the bullets its pretty hard to know exactly what happened.
                                He also said he was shooting 200-225 pound deer which are actually some pretty good sized deer. I personally love the ELD-x and will continue to use it.

Neither of which have ANYTHING to do with terminal performance. So to claim it’s a “hot load” in reference to bullet performance is a nonstarter.

And if he’s having terminal performance issues with that bullet at that velocity on game that size then it’s likely more a placement issue than a bullet issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X