No announcement yet.

HDPE pipe cultipacker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One more pic of the bearing mounting arrangement I kinda like. I wanted the bearings mounted under the angle iron so they'd be out of the weather, and I wanted the angle iron to have the vertical leg down so that dirt didn't collect on the frame. This arrangement also protects the bearing pretty well in case I accidentally rub the unit up against a fence post or something .
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443015121.045460.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	24405148

Comment

I built this one a couple of weeks ago. Only difference is I cut mine into 1ft sections to make it easier to fill.
      Attached Files

Comment

Cool idea. Much easier to handle this way. What pipe size did you use in the concrete and for the axle? I was thinking about doing something like that, but didn't know how using one pipe inside the other would work out. Did you just grease the axle before putting the roller sections on and no problems?

Comment

I used 2" for the axle and 2.5" inside the concrete. Just greased the axle before putting it together.

Comment

Originally posted by stroker_ace View Post
            I used 2" for the axle and 2.5" inside the concrete. Just greased the axle before putting it together.
            If you don't mind me asking, what was the total cost to build. Been thinking about building something similar.

Comment

Since I didn't use bearings, my cost was somewhere between $150-175.

I used a piece of 2.5" pipe with an end cap and grease fitting that the 2" axle rides in on the frame.

Comment

Originally posted by stroker_ace View Post
                Since I didn't use bearings, my cost was somewhere between $150-175.

I used a piece of 2.5" pipe with an end cap and grease fitting that the 2" axle rides in on the frame.
                Thanks,
                I'm going to look into building one.

Comment

HDPE pipe cultipacker

UPDATE

I planted about 2 acres this weekend and the HDPE didn't hold up. It might work in very soft sand, but my soil is too hard and has too many rocks.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443991036.146988.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	24407959

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443991066.277158.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	24407960

Going to have to rebuild the rolling assembly with cast iron or steel wheels. I'd like to fill the cast or steel wheels with concrete for the weight, but that could be a challenge.
                  Last edited by 686; 10-04-2015, 02:39 PM.

Comment

HDPE pipe cultipacker

Tapa double post
                    Last edited by 686; 10-04-2015, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Looks like the concrete didn't fill the entire pipe. You can vibrate it or tap on the side of the pipe to make sure it fills it.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                        Looks like the concrete didn't fill the entire pipe. You can vibrate it or tap on the side of the pipe to make sure it fills it.

The pipe is lined with a smooth wall liner, so you can't get concrete in the corrugations (which kinda defeats the purpose). I should have stopped everything when I saw that, but thought I'd see what happened anyway, and now we know.

Comment

Originally posted by 686 View Post
                          The pipe is lined with a smooth wall liner, so you can't get concrete in the corrugations (which kinda defeats the purpose). I should have stopped everything when I saw that, but thought I'd see what happened anyway, and now we know.
                          That would explain it. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                            That would explain it. Lol.

I thought about trying to drill a hole and spray foam in the corrugations, but I didn't think that would add much strength.

Comment

You can buy single wall HDPE pipe that does not have the inside liner, so the corrugations would fill with concrete. It's cheaper, and you can usually get it at Lowes or any old hardware store.

Comment

Nice job

Comment

Working...
                                X