No announcement yet.

Speaking Czech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wait......Pivos and Czech food...........I'm IN!

Comment

In our family, it still lives. While my mother doesn't speak it fluently anymore, her sister and most of my Shiner relatives (all age brackets) still can. This is because they are around others that contine to converse or can converse still.

Me - I know a few dirty words!

My relatives too, once had a polka band in Shiner area. Uncle Leon was lead singer and accordion player. Twin brothers played sax and cornet, while another played drums. Only non family member was tuba player and running joke as a kid was that was going to be my job one day. Many fond memories watching them play in Shiner area SPSJT or KC functions
      Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Its a shame us younger generations dont know more czech. When grandparents came to America they were forced to speak English and so it faded away. They were put down if they didnt know English. Why dont we do the same to all these Mexicans and others in America these days? Now we have to cater to them and give them everything and feel sorry for them.

Comment

My Grandfather spoke fluent Czech.

Comment

Originally posted by simek View Post
            Regarding Czech music. . . . . growing up in eastern Williamson county, we have a family with the last name of Vrazel. Their kin started a pretty popular polka band . . . .the Vrazel Polka Band. Back in the day, they used to play at a place about a half mile from where my folks live . . .Moravian Hall in Corn Hill. My dad said that when they first started playing it was like when Led Zepelin released their first album in 1969 . . .mass hysteria. Pretty funny stuff . . . .
            The Vrazel's were one of the bands I learned to dance to at Vrazel's Ballroom in Danbury.

They played my inlaws wedding and then thier 50th anniversary in 98.
            My in-laws made a polka cruise or polka fest anytime the Vrazel's were involved. The band finally retired a couple of years ago.

Comment

Its a shame us younger generations dont know more czech. When grandparents came to America they were forced to speak English and so it faded away. They were put down if they didnt know English. Why dont we do the same to all these Mexicans and others in America these days? Now we have to cater to them and give them everything and feel sorry for them.
              It is a shame that folks were ridiculed for speaking their native tongue. Most ethnic stereotyping/racism stems from ignorance. By the way . . .forgot to mention that I'm also half Mexican.

Comment

I know a Darrell Vrazel, from Shulenberg...

Comment

Glad you started this thread. Since joining TBH I've always detected a strong Czech presence and personally think it's cool. I'm not really sure what my true heritage is (German probably) but am fascinated by the Czech culture. We always make it a point to go to West Fest each year and try to attend the polka festival in Ennis as well. On that note, what other events/festivals are there that celebrate Czech or German themes?

Comment

My parents both spoke Czech at home when they wanted to speak about something at dinner and not have the kids understand what they were saying. My Grandparents were born there, so they spoke it fluently.

The Dentist I see has a dental hygienist who is a US citizen, but immigrated with her husband from Slovakia. She's cute and I have to tell you lying there in the chair, having her cleaning my teeth, with an accent that reminds me of my Grandmothers is a real treat! Her father who still lives in Slovakia is a hunter, and hunts red stag and wolves in the mountains on the northern border.

One last random thought. When I was about 5 years old, I was with my family at a Sokol camp in Connecticut. One of the other Czech Dad's (they were all sitting around drinking beer) said it's a shame how their kids can't speak Czech. I proudly said, "I can".

They reminded me 20 years later as guests at my wedding about it, and how I let out the longest string of Czech vulgarities and insults, obviously learned from my Dad in moments of weakness.

Nazdar!

Comment

It's kind of a shame that we didn't keep the old languages, it is, after all, part of our individual heritage.
                      I grew up with Italian grandparents and remember them speaking.
                      Many years later, I taught myself to speak the language.
                      Like the saying goes, "use it or lose it." And now my Italian is going the way of my Vietnamese and Japanese which wasn't that great to start with.
                      Guess we're all to busy these days.

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
                        Glad you started this thread. Since joining TBH I've always detected a strong Czech presence and personally think it's cool. I'm not really sure what my true heritage is (German probably) but am fascinated by the Czech culture. We always make it a point to go to West Fest each year and try to attend the polka festival in Ennis as well. On that note, what other events/festivals are there that celebrate Czech or German themes?
                        Used to be one in Hallettsville but I can't say if it's still going or not..

Comment

My maiden name is Janik...

Grandmother still speaks it, my Dad understands it, but doesn't speak it...

I remember being in my grandmothers kitchen in Crosby when I was younger while she was cooking and listening to the Czech radio station.

I too wish it would have been passed down!!

Comment

I know a few sayings and 50% of those are bad!

Comment

I heard it growing up from my grandparent's. Their last name is Zurovec and my grandmother's maiden name is Vinklarek. I loved to be around their siblings and other relatives at family reunion's. Sure wished I would've learned more of the language. I still have relatives living in the Schulenburg, Flatonia, and Cistern areas.

Comment

Originally posted by bho0351 View Post
                                I heard it growing up from my grandparent's. Their last name is Zurovec and my grandmother's maiden name is Vinklarek. I loved to be around their siblings and other relatives at family reunion's. Sure wished I would've learned more of the language. I still have relatives living in the Schulenburg, Flatonia, and Cistern areas.
                                I do a lot of fishing with Mark Vinklarek. He is from the big town of Cistern

Comment

Working...
                                X