Speaking Czech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking Czech

Cheez's post about German got me to thinking a bit. Where I grew up, there was still a good bit of Czech speaking going on. It was mostly by the old timers, but my father (who is 58) speaks it fluently, but he's about the last generation that does (Note: I don't consider my dad an old timer). Before my great grandfather died (at the ripe old agae of 102), my dad and great grandfather would talk entirely in Czech (it was his first language, and he felt most comfortable talking in Czech). Even though I did not understand the vast majority of it, it was pretty **** neat to listen to it.

Any of you folks speak Czech or recall hearing it a good bit growing up?

Speaking Czech

Same boat as you my Czech brother.

Comment

Speaking Czech

We need to plan a trip to our homeland. I have a lot of family there. Before my grandpa died he made several trips.

Comment

Not Czech, but I used to get a kick out listening to my Grandfather and his cousins speaking French. I've actually purchased several books and CD's trying to learn the language myself. I always thought it would be cool to be able to shoot the bull with my "Pop" in French.

Comment

My great grandmother and father (on my mom's side) spoke fluent Czech.
          My grannie, from that side, could carry on a conversation with them. After they both died, she used it less and less.
          I haven't heard her speak Czech in at least 20 years.

It's a dieing art.

Oh, that same great grandpa, I called him MoreMore (he gave me a shot of Jack Daniels when I was about 3, and I asked for more ... more; it stuck) played the acordian in a polka band. Listening to them play, in his garage wasn't very cool back then, but I'd give anything to hear them again.

Comment

I had an aunt that was Czech. Her mother also lived with my aunt and uncle. When we would go visit it was all her mother could speak. Her mother also only cooked on a wood stove. She refused to use the gas stove in the kitchen and durn could that woman cook! They lived a couple of miles from us in S. Dallas.

Comment

My wife grew up in West, her Grandparents speak Czech fluently ,I have picked up a little along the way, But some of still makes no sense or maybe hey are making fun of me .My wife and I do enjoy a good polka band and she is always listening to the polka show on the radio in Rockdale and Taylor.

Comment

Growing up ,y great grandmother spoke Italian and when she would get mad at me she would forget and slip into it at time's. I cant remember the phrase she would call me but translated it meant fart's for brains.

Comment

My wife's family currently resides in a small Czech town just outside the Polish border. We go there every other year for Christmas. Small town and we have a great time. Family, friends, great times! Did I mention the beer? Added bonus - get to go Russian Boar hunting!

We send our kids over there for summer camp so they can learn the language. Unfortunately, the Czech kids all want to practice their english with my kids, so my kids learn very little Czech.

Comment

My grandmother learned to speak english in school when she was 5yrs old. She would always tell us storys in czech and english my parents speak just enough to get get by on and I know all the bad words

Comment

I lived in East Bernard for about 8 years. I learned a little...

"GDAGKI"

That's the key to the garage door!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

My mother began life with Czech as her only language. Didn't learn English until she went to school. (dang rich immigrants! )

Anybody got a good Texas hookup for jaternice and jelitha?

Can still get some out of Chicago but it's muy expensive.

BTW De me pivo! (And I KNOW I spelled that wrong!) on edit: Dej mi pivo!!!

Comment

my grandparents speak it fluently. i know a few words. when i was in high school i took a czech class. it was one of those things that if you don't use it you forget a lot. i looked at some translation books recently and i remember a few words. for some reason some of the words i should not use seem to stick better than others. the town i live near just had their National Polka Festival.

Comment

my mothers family in Nada,TX spoke fluent czech, and my mom still does, but she has no one left to speak it too.
                            kinda like alan, i know the bad words and PIVO
                            wish i would have tried tolearn alittle when i was younger

Comment

Speaking Czech

Vie gates! German is still spoke around our campfire in Fredericksburg. Landowner and a couple of our leasees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X